It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I have a question for protestors

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 2 2011 @ 03:36 PM
link   
reply to post by beezzer

It sounds like you're making excuses for future corruption.

Have faith.

Callin' it as I see it, but yea, I don't think we should give up faith, totally, it just seems out of our control, or beyond influence anymore, and picking a side exclusively only further pits us, the peolpe, against each other instead of against the criminals in power, both in gov and some corps. The bickering between citizens is a huge barrier to success in a healthy system, yet the wheel still turns.
I don't feel I am making excuses for future corruption, that animal will stalk regardless of my excuses.
I still have hope Beez, but it is so thin it is becoming transparent.
edit on 2-10-2011 by speculativeoptimist because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 2 2011 @ 03:39 PM
link   
reply to post by Julie Washington

“One person can make a difference and every person should try.”

John Fitzgerald Kennedy

Really.

posted on Oct, 2 2011 @ 03:40 PM
link   

I would instead propose that the REAL sheeple are the ones that watch poorly researched propaganda circling the internet (which they then forward to 20 of their friends) in the form of video and e-mail that gets them riled up at the greatest free government ever formed.

Do you propose another way? You are implying that getting involved with the people who caused, and perpetrate the mess we are in is the better way to go, so i have a question for you.

Have you ever written anyone in government, and if so did it cause any noticeable change?
Are you involved with your local government, and if so were you able to cause any siginificant change?

I have written, many many many times. You want to know what has happened? NOTHING.

In the personal experience of GovTrack's creator, what Congressional staff say is that two things happen with letters and other communications. First, Representatives and Senators use the information essentially like a poll: They tally up responses and use the totals to guide their decision making. Second, on rare occasions they use some letters as case studies in speeches on the floor, to support their point with a little personal touch. A letter turning into a case study is especially rare, especially in terms of the volume of communications received, which means by and large the actual personal content of messages (beyond what can be tallied) is pretty much unread. Moreover, your personal communication is worthless in isolation. As part of a movement, when the tally will add up to something, it might have an impact. I'm sure there are some representatives that take tallies seriously, but I don't know how many. No House staffer says they actually read the letters carefully: They are frank that they don't have the resources to do it. (Of course, they can vote on their own resource levels, so there is some mystery there.)

Source

Did you ever attempt to take a class in economics/government to assist in answering questions and forming arguments?

Are you implying that without a degree your voice is worthless? Is paying a school/college an overpriced tuition a prerequisite for standing up for yourself? The ones most affected by the current crisis have had everything taken from them, they are struggling to put food on the table. How are they going to be able to afford even a single class in college?

Did you participate in every form of voting you are allowed?

It is clear that voting does nothing, so why is this relevant? It has been shown time and time again that the lobbiests and corporate interests carry more weight than the voting public. The system has been changed over the years to make sure that the people have no power.
Source

The REAL sheeple are the ones that, instead of first following any other process the government allows them, immediately take to the streets to protest and disrupt the workweek of people with jobs.

IMO the real sheeple are the ones who perpetuate the weakness that the people have been told they have by the government. The government should fear its people, because the government works for its people, not the other way around. The people have finally had enough and are standing up for themselves. Everyone has this right whether they have a college degree, or dropped out of high school. Whether they vote on everything, or refuse to vote. Whether they are aspiring politicians, or stay 100 ft from any politicians like they have the plague. Everyone is unique and has a unique mind, and with this comes power, the real sheeple are the ones who try to take that power away.

DC

posted on Oct, 2 2011 @ 03:45 PM
link   
kennedy also once said "ask not what your country can do for you but what you can do for your country"

for the nouveau generation of "i want it all i want it now and i dont give a crap how"

my my how things change

posted on Oct, 2 2011 @ 03:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by beezzer

John Fitzgerald Kennedy

Really.

I love famous quotes.

Too bad they are not all true.

Sounds nice, but in reality when trying to make changes in government, one person cannot make a difference, however I believe everyone should try. Because when the "one" person who strives for change is backed by "millions" of others, then change can happen.

But one person? No. Doesn't work that way.

posted on Oct, 2 2011 @ 04:03 PM
link   

I had to quote it because if I said it, it would be against T&C.
One person can make a difference.

I'm discouraged by the lack of faith.

posted on Oct, 2 2011 @ 04:06 PM
link   
You know I've been reading some of these posts and I've got to say that some of them including the OP's is very narrow minded. Since when are protests only for the well educated?

I'm sure a lot of you didn't live through the Vietnam protests. If you did, you would be saying the same things you're saying now about these protestors. Most of the Vietnam protestors were high school and college students. A lot of them were so called "hippies."

Some of you probably wouldn't even have been able to write a post if those "drug taking, flower power" protestors didn't put pressure on the political system to end that war. Who knows, your father could have been drafted and killed in that war, and you wouldn't even be here to complain about this protest.

Many of them didn't try to run for office or even write letters to their congressman. They did however burn their draft cards, were violently arrested and even shot dead during their peaceful protests. They were revolting against the same political system that were sending them to a war that had nothing to do with America's freedom or security.

If your political system is corrupt and that same political system ignores the outrage by it citizens, why would you even try to change things through a system that has already been corrupted by corporate interests? Just look at how they ignore Ron Paul when he talks out against the corruption of our government.

The media back in the day reported on large protests. In fact the Vietnam protests were practically reported on a nightly basis! So the question to everyone here is what happened to our media since the days of the Vietnam War?

I'll give you my answer because I've lived long enough to notice the difference. Our political elite has realized that too much information to the public can change military and government policies. There's a reason the media can't have free movement on the battle field. Our government wants to control what we see to avoid any kind of criminal activity or the reality caused by these wars. Why do you think they didn't want the media to film flag draped coffins coming back from Iraq and Afghanistan?

You people who are defending the corporate elite are accepting the right for corporations to control our political system, our military policy and the economy of this country. The regulations that have been removed from corporations has made them a kid running the candy store! Regulations regarding monopolies have been lax to say the least. More and more corporations are reducing the competitive market system. There is no competitive market system anymore. If you believe that, than why has the market for competitive products been reduced so drastically?

American corporation always demanded loyalty by their workers. Yet they're ready to throw their workers on the street so they can produce their products cheaper over seas to increase profits for their investors. Who's keeping our government from raising tariffs? Corporations know exactly how to manipulate the market by donating large sums of money to political parties and organizations.

Anyone who has been in upper management like myself, know that donations from large corporations have an agenda behind them. Anyone that says otherwise is just plain lying to you.

edit on 2-10-2011 by WeRpeons because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 2 2011 @ 04:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by Julie Washington

Originally posted by beezzer

John Fitzgerald Kennedy

Really.

I love famous quotes.

Too bad they are not all true.

Sounds nice, but in reality when trying to make changes in government, one person cannot make a difference, however I believe everyone should try. Because when the "one" person who strives for change is backed by "millions" of others, then change can happen.

But one person? No. Doesn't work that way.

One person DID try. With millions backing him. That would have been JFK. They whacked him. That's how that worked out. NO change happened. Everything he had been doing was instantly squashed by LBJ, tool of the FED.

You can write your congressman all you want. It does NOTHING.

Ron Paul is controlled opposition, to get the FEW people who actually see what's going on to think there is hope from the system. He has been allowed to squawk about the Fed for thirty years, to attract the very FEW so they can keep an eye on them. Yet he has actually accomplished NOTHING. In thirty years. Hmmm.

THE FED IS THE ROOT OF THE PROBLEM. Most people don't have a clue, and are led into other issues that have no importance, to keep them from thinking about the money system and how it is ripping everyone off, automatically.

posted on Oct, 2 2011 @ 06:15 PM
link   
reply to post by speculativeoptimist

I suppose I did come off as a bit harsh, it is just abhor aggression in some cases and although I truly believe that we should fight for our rights if the system fails...I just don't see the system as being failed.

posted on Oct, 2 2011 @ 07:37 PM
link   
reply to post by hyperion.martin

I did not perceive your post as harsh at all hm, and I do understand where you are coming from, I guess I just see it differently. I first got into politics just 10 years ago, and since then, I have watched it unravel, create social gaps, pitt folks against each other and let it drive me mad. I had to take a step back and invest my interests and energy on just local issues because I feel all else is lost on the national level.

Between cronyism, blamestreetmedia, bully-punditry, the Patriot Act, Corporate Personhood, manipulated election results, and good ole greed, I feel detached from the system, as an outsider not invited to, or wanted, at the party. Perhaps I am growing cynical in my years(40-something), and this is why I don't think we have much effect, other than literal protest, to make any changes.
Maybe others that feel this way also see hope in any significant protests because, we fell they are the last resort in, maybe not a 'failed system', but a system that has been hijacked by cabals of greedy old men.

Peace,
spec

posted on Oct, 2 2011 @ 08:10 PM
link   
reply to post by xDeadcowx

I am not implying that without a degree your opinion is worthless. I never mentioned a degree.
However, is it not our civic duty do be well informed about government and our rights and liberties?

posted on Oct, 3 2011 @ 11:07 AM
link   
reply to post by WeRpeons

You make a very good point about the success of protests in the Vietnam Era. You have to admit though, it is FAR easier to get your point across or demonstrate your opinion now. We live in the Information age, a time in which video,voice, and written communication can be sent across the globe. Again, good point.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join