It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Occupy with Style

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 2 2011 @ 02:47 PM
link   
Dear Fellowship..

i was talking about "occupy wall street" with a friend of mine yesterday -

he stated a theory, which is imho genius..i think he stumbled upon it on the redded forums..

--
all those times you see these "non violent protests" and the cop brutality within you always see "alternative" people....call them "hippies" if you will...we are used to seeing new videos of policemen use brute force on those "hippies" almost daily
...if you glance over the youtube comments you will always find a hater stating something like "yeah the guy with the dreads had it coming" "friggin hippie scum"...
which is mainly of course just because of their outer appearance..

so my question is..what would happen if we dress up thousands of people in armani suits ?
how would those videos of cop brutality look like? certainly..they would break a lot of dogmas, wouldnt they?
the videos would look so "weird" that even the shyest sheeple would at least think about what was going on there..

your thoughts?

sorry for my english....
edit on 2/10/11 by masqua because: Replaced 'All Caps' in title

posted on Oct, 2 2011 @ 02:52 PM
link   
reply to post by Acetradamus

Good idea. I like it. It would definitely give a different look to the videos.
The problem being, however, that the guys with the Armani suits are probably the guys everyone's protesting in the first place.

posted on Oct, 2 2011 @ 02:54 PM
link   
reply to post by subject x

yeah ,definetly ! i know what you mean - i meant it in a more general way for all kinds of political protests....

posted on Oct, 2 2011 @ 02:57 PM
link   

posted on Oct, 2 2011 @ 02:59 PM
link   
reply to post by Acetradamus

Sure. I can see it working well, too. A lot of people don't take a person seriously unless he's in a nice suit.
5,000 very well dressed people would look very different on TV than 5,000 "filthy hippies".

Of course, it's hard to get tear gas stains out of that Armani...

posted on Oct, 2 2011 @ 03:02 PM
link   
it aint the clothes its their actions

occupy with brains.

posted on Oct, 2 2011 @ 03:07 PM
link   
I highly doubt ANY of the protesters could afford Armani and if they can why are they protesting?

Perhaps just not dressing like douchebags would help. If I were there I'd be wearing a pair of jeans, some work boots and a Carharrt jacket. Screams blue collar.

posted on Oct, 2 2011 @ 03:08 PM
link   
reply to post by Domo1

seconded
2nd line

edit: doesnt have to be armani :-)
edit on 2-10-2011 by Acetradamus because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 2 2011 @ 03:34 PM
link   
If the people would just show up with nicer clothes, keep themselves clean shaven, and try their best to keep themselves as clean as possible it would look different. Wear better looking garments, don't wear trashed looking clothes, or T-shirts that are trying to make a statement, use signs for that. The T-shirts make the people look like a bunch of punk teenagers no matter how old they are.

posted on Oct, 2 2011 @ 05:11 PM
link   
It's tough to stay hygenic and neat looking when you are camping out for days or weeks at a time... especially when they refuse to let you set up tents. And interestingly enough since some of the unions joined the Occupation of New York I've seen many people in ties and dress shirts being arrested... just yesterday on the Brooklyn bridge. It didn't seem to change anyones oppinion.

Of course the only thing the Police States can see is that they aren't wearing Police State Uniforms.

So basically it doesn't matter what you look like or dress like; if you aren't one of them then you are the enemy and they will do everything in their power to hurt you.

Welcome to the 99% my friends.

posted on Oct, 2 2011 @ 05:13 PM
link   
reply to post by Kicking2bears

Wet wipes. Antiseptic spray, Febreeze. Many different ways to stay at least partially hygenic. You can take a bottle of listerine with you so your breath don't smell like garbage. Take de-oderant so you don't smell like someone who has been standing in a pile of your own filth. Keep your tent area clean, little things like that will help greatly. Keep trash picked up as well

posted on Oct, 2 2011 @ 05:19 PM
link   
This was something that struck me about the protesters in Iran over the summer...

Yes, I realize that dress is not the most important factor, but it was noticeable and perhaps it stood out due to the differences in protests that one typically is used to seeing in the US. I think it would have impact, if only at the subconscious level.

edit on 2-10-2011 by LadySkadi because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 2 2011 @ 05:22 PM
link   
It amazes me that you were able to figure out CAPS for your thread title but once I entered....Bammmmmm.

CAPS are for mods.

Citizen on Patrol. Later.

posted on Oct, 2 2011 @ 05:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by Attrei
reply to post by Kicking2bears

Wet wipes. Antiseptic spray, Febreeze. Many different ways to stay at least partially hygenic. You can take a bottle of listerine with you so your breath don't smell like garbage. Take de-oderant so you don't smell like someone who has been standing in a pile of your own filth. Keep your tent area clean, little things like that will help greatly. Keep trash picked up as well

Excellent point. Just like any good camper or responsible citizen. "Always leave a place in better condition than when you arrived."

(And if the hippies from the 60's were really so dirty... would the girls really have put up with it? would their free love have really produced the baby-boomers? Yeah, I don't know about you but there is only so much stench that free love can handle... nah I don't think hippies were really that dirty... sure they were shaggy, unkempt and dressed different... but I bet they kept themselves smelling pretty good... or else they were so stoned that nobody noticed... and I don't think it's possible to get that stoned.)

posted on Oct, 2 2011 @ 07:14 PM
link   
I agree with you in a way.
IMO i think meibe shirts (of low cost) should be made with a slogan that says "occupy wall street" so that all the citizens can "look" alike.
You have to consider that most of these people barely have money to house and feed themselves, no need to go fancy on the protest.
Theirs a problem about the way humans are (most). We see someone else out somewhere and automatically make these dimensional distinctions about them and treat them that way.Who cares if you look dirty, rich or cute, we're all there for the serving the same purpose.

posted on Oct, 2 2011 @ 07:26 PM
link   
Why clothes?
I have never seen a cop attack a naked PETA protest.
Smiling, as someone will post a video in a minute to prove me wrong.
But they can't its against the tc contract on here.

posted on Oct, 2 2011 @ 11:02 PM
link   
In five years, most of these protesters will be wearing Armani suits anyway...they are exactly the same type they protest against. Bet on it.

posted on Oct, 2 2011 @ 11:04 PM
link   
I'd rather see a civilian riot force dressed in all white backing up the protestors, with white nightsticks and white shields.

posted on Oct, 3 2011 @ 11:02 AM
link   
reply to post by yourmaker

That is just asking for trouble. By people showing up dressed as if for a riot or to control a riot it will just cause problems. By bringing a nightstick you are just asking the cops to pull out tazers, you bring a tazer, they will bring larger guns, you bring guns, they bring tanks, you bring tanks, they bring planes with bombs. It just escalates. Keep all weapons or appearance of violence away from these protests.

posted on Oct, 3 2011 @ 11:09 AM
link   

Originally posted by Clark Savage Jr.
In five years, most of these protesters will be wearing Armani suits anyway...they are exactly the same type they protest against. Bet on it.

You keep saying this, but the economic situation in the United States has deteriorated to the point where in five years most of those protestors will be wearing a goddamn McDonalds uniform.

This isn't the 1960s where you have a bunch of flower child hypocrites turning into capitalist pigs. We are on the edge of the abyss. You are either in denial, or ignorant of the situation on the ground. People are broke. People cannot find work that pays based on their qualifications. This will not be cured overnight and there is no attempt by government to correct the situation.

I'd hope that you're right, and the economy will rebound and there will be jobs for these people to have, but with the way things look, you won't be.

new topics

top topics

join