It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

How do you make a Stealth Aircraft non-stealthy?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 27 2004 @ 11:49 AM
link   
If your flying a F-22 Raptor over a city and don't want to cause any planes accidents, is there a way you can "turn Off" radar stealth?

posted on Aug, 27 2004 @ 11:51 AM
link   
oh
well just put light on
ethier that or waggle your wings

[edit on 27-8-2004 by devilwasp]

posted on Aug, 27 2004 @ 11:53 AM
link   
I believe there is a transponder they use in non-combat or non- tactical flights in order to let friendlies know that they are there. Other than that they would have to attach something on plane that blows its' radar cover, so to speak. I know I saw or read that somewhere a while ago. Damn brain cell!

[edit on 27-8-2004 by Der Kapitan]

posted on Aug, 27 2004 @ 11:54 AM
link   

I believe there is a transponder they use in non-combat or non- tactical flights.

yep...
Not to mention lights, lower speeds, etc. and of course, turning off the electronic stealth as well...

[edit on 27-8-2004 by Gazrok]

posted on Aug, 27 2004 @ 12:01 PM
link   
so is the transponder always in the aircraft? Cause I don't mean take-off unstealthy and land unstealthy. I mean Take off stealthy but while in flight have the ability to "show yourself".

posted on Aug, 27 2004 @ 12:09 PM
link   
They must have like a piece of metal on board to put out.
The F-117 has a piece of metal that can be put out and radar picks up the signal from that piece of metal. The F-22 is not completly stealthy.

posted on Aug, 27 2004 @ 12:30 PM
link   
Flying through rain messes up your RCS...

posted on Aug, 27 2004 @ 12:40 PM
link   
Simple, you turn on the radar transponder and extend the Radar reflectors that are built into the wings. Radar Reflector and a transponder are what allow stealth aircraft to in-flight refule at night. Also, I think they have a fixed reflector that can be attached in peace time.

Tim
ATS Director of Counter-Ignorance

posted on Aug, 27 2004 @ 12:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by ghost
Simple, you turn on the radar transponder and extend the Radar reflectors that are built into the wings. Radar Reflector and a transponder are what allow stealth aircraft to in-flight refule at night. Also, I think they have a fixed reflector that can be attached in peace time.
ATS Director of Counter-Ignorance

Correct you are Tim, the F-117 has a small reflector that attaches to the body of the aircraft when it is flying training mission in the US for saftey reasons. The tolerences of the F-117 are so tight that even a sligtly loose screw will increase its radar return dramaticaly.

posted on Aug, 27 2004 @ 01:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by Murcielago
If your flying a F-22 Raptor over a city and don't want to cause any planes accidents, is there a way you can "turn Off" radar stealth?

Open the bomb bay!

posted on Aug, 27 2004 @ 03:02 PM
link   
good point - when the weapon bay is open, the Raptor has a much higher RCS. As far as the F-117, as has been said, it had metal that could be deployed for refueling.

E_T

posted on Aug, 27 2004 @ 03:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by longbow
Open the bomb bay!

Yep... and even better if you have some ordnance in bomb bay.

I wonder how it took so long before this was posted.

posted on Aug, 27 2004 @ 03:55 PM
link   
If all that fails i`ve got it on high authority that the carry extra large turkey foil that they unpack from it`s protective case and wave it around the cockpit

posted on Aug, 28 2004 @ 01:46 AM
link   

Originally posted by E_T

Originally posted by longbow
Open the bomb bay!

Yep... and even better if you have some ordnance in bomb bay.

I wonder how it took so long before this was posted.

Nice way how to show yours aircraft position.
But I think the ordnance is fixed in the bay, so opening the doors doesn't mean bomb droping.

posted on Aug, 28 2004 @ 10:41 AM
link   
How to make a stealth aircraft non stealthy? Easy, hang stores on it.

posted on Aug, 28 2004 @ 02:24 PM
link   
I dont think so, I remember in Rochester NY airshow, there was a f-117 doing a fly buy and it came around 500 feet from another plane.

posted on Aug, 28 2004 @ 06:32 PM
link   
well extending flaps, crack the bomb bay, extend gear, turn radio on, radar on, link up to tower, fly with a non stealthy plane ect.

posted on Aug, 28 2004 @ 07:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by MPJay
How to make a stealth aircraft non stealthy? Easy, hang stores on it.

Have a bird land on it
This actually happened during the Have Blue testing. The operator started geting a return. Someone looked out the controll van ans say a bird stiing on the plane

posted on Aug, 29 2004 @ 09:04 AM
link   
Put down the landing gear - that will reflect some of the radar energy back. Also how about when its hooked up to a tanker?

=-Rich

new topics

top topics

join