It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

At Rick Perry's Texas hunting spot, camp's old racially charged name lingered

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 2 2011 @ 01:38 PM
link   

At Rick Perry's Texas hunting spot, camp's old racially charged name lingered

www.washingtonpost.com

Paint Creek, Tex. — In the early years of his political career, Rick Perry began hosting fellow lawmakers, friends and supporters at his family’s secluded West Texas hunting camp, a place known by the name painted in block letters across a large, flat rock standing upright at its gated entrance.

“'n-word'head,” it read.
(visit the link for the full news article)

edit on Sun Oct 2 2011 by DontTreadOnMe because: engaged censors

posted on Oct, 2 2011 @ 01:38 PM
link   
Well, I know this area of Texas pretty well. Can't say the original name of the place surprises me. However, with witnesses claiming to have seen the rock with the name on it as late as 2008, one has to wonder if Perry is telling the truth, or not.

Smear campaigns are rife at this stage in the elections, so it's hard to tell either way. Still...

www.washingtonpost.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Oct, 2 2011 @ 01:49 PM
link   
reply to post by CodyOutlaw

Wow very interesting thanks OP S&F for you

posted on Oct, 2 2011 @ 01:52 PM
link   
Makes me feel safe as a black female living in America, just safe...........S & F, OP.
edit on 2-10-2011 by Heartisblack because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 2 2011 @ 02:00 PM
link   
First of all, I don't really get the name n-wordhead but whatever. I don't think that having a piece of property with the offensive word on it is necessarily indicative of being a racist.

Makes me feel safe as a black female living in America, just safe...........S & F, OP.

I could have sworn you said you lived in another country. I even remember you using the *gasp* metric system.
edit on 2-10-2011 by Domo1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 2 2011 @ 02:00 PM
link   
reply to post by Heartisblack

Yet you feel its fine to call people white trash in other threads

You can't pick and choose

posted on Oct, 2 2011 @ 02:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by Domo1
First of all, I don't really get the name n-wordhead but whatever. I don't think that having a piece of property with the offensive word on it is necessarily indicative of being a racist.

I could have sworn you said you lived in another country. I even remember you using the *gasp* metric system.
edit on 2-10-2011 by Domo1 because: (no reason given)

I used to, I'm ready to go back. I never heard # like this when I was in Wales, never in my life. The thing about the N-word is what I get the meaning of was some slave term. In America, people are bold enough to come up to you tell you that they hate you. Disturbing, I don't understand why some Americans don't get the point that other races aren't leaving because they don't like them.

Why was that road named that to begin with? That is the million dollar question I want to know.
edit on 2-10-2011 by Heartisblack because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 2 2011 @ 02:13 PM
link   
West Texas is a strange place. I lived there for a while when I was writing my thesis. The desert is a great place to write. People there are either really open-minded, or archaically old-fashioned. There's no middle ground.

I agree, it's not necessarily indicative of racism, but you'd think it would have bothered his family when they drove in and out of the property. But as I said, there is no real way to tell at this point, when exactly it was painted over.

Also, as a historian, I'm not sure painting over the past is the best way to move forward? A rock like that might serve as a great reminder of how far we've come.

I certainly wouldn't have it on my property, though.

posted on Oct, 2 2011 @ 02:16 PM
link   

Why was that road named that to begin with? That is the million dollar question I want to know.

I've been wondering the same thing.

posted on Oct, 2 2011 @ 02:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by mnmcandiez

Yet you feel its fine to call people white trash in other threads

You can't pick and choose

Agreed. We cannot, and should not, pick and choose.

Yes, slavery and segregation have left a stain, but flipping it around doesn't make one look any better.

posted on Oct, 2 2011 @ 02:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by Domo1

I've been wondering the same thing.

Not that surprising, given the history of the area.
Cowboy culture was less-than-welcoming, despite the surprising number of black cowboys.

top topics

join