It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Top Ten Deadliest Insects

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 2 2011 @ 11:56 AM
link   
Lately, I've been fascinated with top ten this or that. Kinda feel like a kid again. Our world is incredibly "Alien" feeling. I never new there was such a thing as a Giant 3" Japanese Hornet that can sting multiple times. Scary. Most of the insects on this list are known by most however.

Though not necessarily the most prolifically deadly animal on earth, insects certainly hold their fair share of the unfortunate demises. Throughout history, the insect has played a major roll in many different actions and reactions ranging from writings in the Bible to golden statues in Egyptian Tombs. Bugs have also become ingrained in lore and stories such as the storyteller Anansi as a Spider (though not a true insect). But, perhaps the worst rap given to insects is the sheer terror and morbid curiosity they instill in humankind giving more than a few of us the willies. Here are the ten deadliest in the insect kingdom. Oh, and just to reiterate, a spider, a tick, or a centipede and the like are not insects. Insects have a 3-segmented body with six legs. That is the basic definition. So, here they are:

listverse.com...

posted on Oct, 2 2011 @ 12:03 PM
link   
Not one spider on that list.

Either way, interesting read.

I've got fleas in my apartment. I can vouch for them being a pest.

posted on Oct, 2 2011 @ 12:07 PM
link   
reply to post by ThinkingCap

spiders arent insects

posted on Oct, 2 2011 @ 12:08 PM
link   

The spider is not an insect, because it does not have six legs, three body parts and antennae. Most assuredly, spiders are quite deadly. Will do some looking around on spiders.

posted on Oct, 2 2011 @ 12:08 PM
link   
Can you imagine this on your hand?
listverse.files.wordpress.com...

I'm never going to an Asian country.

posted on Oct, 2 2011 @ 12:12 PM
link   

Insects have a 3-segmented body with six legs. Arachnids have eight legs.

posted on Oct, 2 2011 @ 12:43 PM
link   
Meh, a spider will always be an insect to me. Same goes with Cheney (Who only has TWO legs)
edit on 2-10-2011 by ThinkingCap because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 2 2011 @ 12:51 PM
link   
these little guys are not really deadly, but they are creepy haha..they are called children of the earth-www.insectidentification.org...
there is an interesting side note to these - they can supposedly scream like a child.

Also, I realize this is an arachnid- but but just as creepy, most people say they are harmless, but the appearance alone is enough to cause a heart attack haha....its a vineragoon, and yes they do smell like vinegar when you squash them. I pretty much leave them alone now, as they can be beneficial.

en.wikipedia.org...

posted on Oct, 2 2011 @ 01:13 PM
link   
reply to post by Veritas1

That is one wicked looking spider. Imagine all the insects we have never laid eyes on.

Scientists have discovered and named about 1,000,000 different creatures in the animal world, from insects and worms to reptiles and humans. Of these, more than 800,000 are insects! Each year, from 7,100 to 10,000 new insects are discovered, but scientists believe that anywhere from 1,000,000 to 10,000,000 are still waiting to be discovered.

www.bigsiteofamazingfacts.com...
edit on 2-10-2011 by brilab45 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 2 2011 @ 01:34 PM
link   
reply to post by brilab45

I hate bugs. I have pics that look a lot like number 1 on your list.

'His nibs' came in from the garden one day and had one on his shoulder. I shooed it off and the bug leaped like an olympic jumper and sprinted across the room to get away from us.

It had big strong legs. My first thought was cockroach but I haven't been able to find a roach that looks similar.

My beastie has a flattish back with flange all the way round and was about an inch long. The following year I caught one and took these photos. What is it? Is it one of them on your list?

Gives me the creeps just looking at the photos

posted on Oct, 2 2011 @ 01:43 PM
link   
It resembles some bugs in my garden.

Here is an insect identification site: www.insectidentification.org...

It's called bug finder. Just type in color, number of legs, etc.

posted on Oct, 2 2011 @ 01:49 PM
link   
reply to post by wigit

Found it. It's a stink bug. If you crush it, it will smell pretty gross.

www.google.com...:en-US
fficial&prmd=imvns&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=6 rGITrfQFuX7sQKY-9zODw&ved=0CFEQsAQ&biw=1280&bih=671

posted on Oct, 2 2011 @ 01:53 PM
link   
reply to post by brilab45

I was gonna say, "you are kidding me" I live in the UK. I had no idea we got things like that in this country, but the photos are identical. OH MY GOD!

Thank you... I think.

posted on Oct, 2 2011 @ 01:56 PM
link   
reply to post by wigit

Yes, that was an odd thank you. Cracked me up LOL! With 800,000 plus bugs in the world, I'm certain you have things creeping and crawling in your garden and (Oh my).......your home!

edit on 2-10-2011 by brilab45 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 2 2011 @ 01:57 PM
link   

This is why we have fire and murder bullets. Imagine this thing landing on your can of delicious cool fizzy beverage and straight taking off, dragging your child's clasped hand with it!

Jezzus H Christ I'm not afraid of spiders (OK, technically not an insect) but THIS is just freakin' insane!

I've gingerly scooped up spiders almost the size of my hand and deposited them outside to live their lives, which probably includes hooking up with other spiders I've chucked outside plotting to eat my eyes but wasps? This BIG!? Nope, sorry, you are going to die. I will burn it with fire, shoot it in the face, mash it with my boot then bury it just short of the entrance to hell itself.

posted on Oct, 2 2011 @ 02:00 PM
link   
reply to post by PW229

It almost does not look real. Kinda looks robotic or a new type of drone weapon. I'm with you on that one.....get a flame thrower!

posted on Oct, 2 2011 @ 02:09 PM
link   
I'm still in shock with the stink bug thing but managed to find this old vid.

30 japanese hornets v 30,000 bees.

A BBC one.

edit on 2-10-2011 by wigit because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 2 2011 @ 02:13 PM
link   
reply to post by wigit

Thank you. Thank you for providing the material for my nightmares!

Joking aside, fascinating video.

And we in the west thought the Japanese had problems with earthquakes and melting nuclear plants. They've got GIANT FREAKIN' WASPS to deal with as well!

posted on Oct, 2 2011 @ 02:20 PM
link   
reply to post by PW229

I love insect documentaries and have to thank David Attenborough for all that, but in real life I absolutely hate beasties. Especially the cranefly, (daddy-long-legs) I do have a fondness for earwigs though but that's thanks to Mr Attenborough too.

posted on Oct, 2 2011 @ 02:42 PM
link   
When I looked at the estimated annual death tolls just for the bugs on that list, especially the ones still causing widespread death and destruction, as opposed to the historical locust plagues, I have to wonder why the heck we still have an alleged overpopulation problem. It seems to me, between those bugs, viruses, bacteria, fungus, wars, natural disasters, crime, cancer, famine, and other causes of death, our numbers ought to be pretty manageable given the size of our planet. How is it we are able to breed at a rate that outstrips all these causes of death? I know there are people out there having lots of kids, but aren't they in countries where these bugs and plagues and disasters killing off many of the unfortunate children? In my ignorance, something isn't adding up for me.

<<   2 >>

join