It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

UK parliament to debate referendum on quitting EU

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 5 2011 @ 05:42 AM
link   
reply to post by ArMaP

The ratings are issued by private organisations, but recognised by Governments and Markets around the world, the main ones are Standard & Poor, Moodys, and Fitch. Check out this as a starter Credit Ratings

posted on Oct, 5 2011 @ 06:12 AM
link   

Originally posted by Jepic
Single countries can't survive in the future.

Why not? Have they done so bad in the past? I mean there have been single countries for sooo long that have survived a long time. Lets have a look at a bunch of countries that joined together and formed a solid union... The USSR!!! Oh wait those countries split away from each other didn't they Hrmmm. Lets look at the solid Island of Korea. Oh wait they disagreed and split up into a Prospering South Korea and a Communist, starving, isolated dictatorship, North Korea.

And just wait... Greece a single country is falling apart and in tatters, noworries we'll bail them out and stack more debt on top of them, which they already couldn't afford. That way us corporates will have indebted grandchildrens grandchildren.

Also the uk since joining the EU?? Who actually voted for that? Who actually wanted that? Was it the Peasants or thier rich 1% influencing the politicians yet again. Hey, Doesn't the UK have a really bad immigration problem now since joining the EU? Job losses? Bailing out other impoverished EU countries?

posted on Oct, 5 2011 @ 07:20 AM
link   
reply to post by Rob37n

Yes, they may be recognised by governments (I don't know if they are recognized by European governments), but their actions have been at least dubious on many occasions, and, as far as I can understand it, the change in rating hasn't been directed to countries that are against bailing out other countries, as TheImmaculateD1 said.

posted on Oct, 5 2011 @ 07:23 AM
link   
Oh their actions are downright deplorable at times, they can make or break anyone of their choosing. As with the Federal Reserve you have to wonder if a market led, privately owned, unaccountable, set of organisations can act in the interests of society and not in the interests of a privileged few.

posted on Oct, 5 2011 @ 07:33 AM
link   
Dont ask what the public want. That has never been considerd. Dont ask what is best for the UK that too is not high on the list.

Ask what the multinationals, Bankers and elite want and that is all that counts at any cost.

EU = Cheap, mobile workers. Opportunity to overwrite local laws with ones made by centralised puppets. Leverage to open markets with the use of a heavy hand. A chance for each member to blame the others for oppresive laws and denial of civil liberties. Another route for politicians to feed their egos and self intrest.

What part of that do you think the 'important' groups wish to reject?

Until TPTB find a better way to control us we are stuck with the EU.

posted on Oct, 5 2011 @ 10:44 AM
link   
reply to post by BMorris

We should go back to what we voted for, a free trade and travel zone.

I have no issue with EU citizens living or travelling here, but I do have issue with our country being run by non-elected idiots that, if they actually had to get a real job, would be sub-standard at best.

The UK could survive quite happily if we limited our membership to what we signed up for 40 years ago. Not this "superstate" it has morphed into. We didn't fight multiple wars over the past millenium to prevent us being absorbed by Continetals only to sign it over when asked nicely round a table.

As for China and India, they have major internal issues that if aren't addressed soon, will very quickly undo their "meteoric" rise up the global rankings. I shouldn't worry about them, they are far more dependant on us than we are on them.

posted on Oct, 12 2011 @ 08:53 PM
link   
reply to post by Silcone Synapse

But didn't David Cameron raise the foreign-aid budget from £7b to £11b?

www.channel4.com...
edit on 12-10-2011 by voidla because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 12 2011 @ 09:54 PM
link   
reply to post by stumason

You are right on the money there mate. It is a shame our sovereignty has been sold off to the EU under our noses. My grandfather would be turning in his grave.
And they call this a "democracy", if a democracy means you don't have any say about who is governing you then democracy blows!
People of the UK must take back the power to govern themselves, this must be possible somehow..

posted on Oct, 12 2011 @ 10:28 PM
link   
If Britain positioned itself to have both free trade that was tariff and duty free both the EU and with the US/NAFTA, I think it would do quite nicely economically as a free state. The key to London has always been about the markets, so why not really embrace it.

I also agree that is a shame to see the UK brought to heel without even a struggle after several hundred years of independence.

posted on Oct, 12 2011 @ 10:50 PM
link   
Rumour has it that Germany - the country who were said to lose WW2, then become the most advanced, Richest country in Europe................Are about to re-introduce the Deutchmark,

Suppose the UK did drop out of Europe? and suppose we did become an Independant nation once more. Be a handy way in which to turn back the clock. Not forgetting that analagous broadcast is about to be dumped and replaced by so called Digital. That could then start to fail, the solar system would be used as a reason for such, and gradually the next generation could be slowly introduced to similar way of life as that experienced by those of the Charles Dickens day and age.

Lord's could be Lord's once more, Surf's would become a reality. And the supposed financiers would have the chance to repeat their pre-decessors. Docks slowly opening again, industrial life re-sparked, steam trains............But then that's how I , aged 65 saw this world start to shape-up during the 70s.

Hope I am wrong, but WTF created today's world???

posted on Oct, 13 2011 @ 07:48 AM
link   

Originally posted by TetsuoIronMan
People of the UK must take back the power to govern themselves, this must be possible somehow..

Did the people of the UK ever really had the power to govern themselves?

posted on Oct, 13 2011 @ 07:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by steaming
Rumour has it that Germany - the country who were said to lose WW2, then become the most advanced, Richest country in Europe................Are about to re-introduce the Deutchmark,
That rumour has been confirmed as a rumour as soon as it appeared, and nobody thought about that again.

Dropping the Euro to move to a new (even with an old name it would be new) currency would be a huge waste of money and resources, for something that is really not needed.

The problem is not the Euro, if it was shouldn't the Euro exchange rate be much lower than it is?

But then that's how I , aged 65 saw this world start to shape-up during the 70s.

Hope I am wrong, but WTF created today's world???
Anyone older than 60.

posted on Oct, 13 2011 @ 07:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by Jepic
If the UK quits the EU, they won't be able to compete against China, Russia and the US. They will go down fast.
The future is the EU. Single countries can't survive in the future.

So how does a country like Switzerland manage to be so successful - slap bang in the middle of Europe? There have even been people buying Swiss francs as a safer haven.
We are gradually coming under the control of remote bureaucrats. There in no proper accounting for expenditure and the whole thing is very costly. Not to mention that we have had to open our borders to E Europeans who can even claim child bernefit for their kids back home. Can't blame them for taking advantage but wtf...
www.acasefortreason.org.uk...
edit on 13-10-2011 by starchild10 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 13 2011 @ 07:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by ArMaP
Anyone older than 60.

61 here!

posted on Oct, 13 2011 @ 08:03 AM
link   
reply to post by starchild10

Yes, because the Swiss Franc exchange rate, when compared to the Euro, has been on a rise, the Swiss even had to do something to avoid more problems related to the difficulty in exporting their goods to the EU.

posted on Oct, 13 2011 @ 08:07 AM
link   
reply to post by ArMaP

Yes but they haven't fallen apart as a result of not being in the EU. They are managing and it is being suggested to us that it's not do-able.

posted on Oct, 13 2011 @ 04:19 PM
link   
reply to post by starchild10

I think it's obvious that single countries can survive, but they will be more dependent on their good relations with the other, larger, markets.

posted on Oct, 13 2011 @ 05:43 PM
link   
reply to post by ArMaP

I am talking about reclaiming the consent to be governed. rob in the pagé family from Canada is the best example I can provide of how to become a sovereign citizen. I made a thread about this man with a link to Ben Stewart's recent documentary 'UNGRIP', in which rob is the main focus.
You can find the thread Here if you would like to know more.
It is also possible to achieve this in the UK, there is a facebook group dedicated to this here if you are interested.
Namaste

posted on Oct, 13 2011 @ 05:49 PM
link   
I doubt even if we were to get a reforendum we will do any better than the Irish. Does anyone not think their vote weird first it went against the EU then when the next was held, for the EU, why did they change their minds and I wonder how they feel today?

We were all single countries in Europe for a while after WW2. I would be surprised if we could go back into being a single country again simply because we have exported so much of our bread and butter industry and the investment to reinstate a manufacturing basis, undo the damage done to our mines for supplying us with fuel for our power stations and of course to totally change our government's cop out efforts to train our youngsters who don't go to university so they get necessary labour skills to reinstate our semi and skilled workforce would take time and money. This point has just come up on Question Time.

I get the impression that David Cameron hasn't got a clue what to do about the EU. I think the problem really comes down to a very simply little equation which I cannot put into the language of mathematics. Too many people chasing too few jobs due to advances in technology - which the politicians should have seen rushing upon us years ago.

With our government's policy of importing so many workers from both the Commonwealth and the EU they did succeed in keeping wages low which was good for their sponsors but by not maintaining a jobs/worker balance regardless of whether in or out of the EU Cameron is today sitting on a time bomb. I suspect he is an extremely worried man because huge change needs to be carried out in Britain. Germany has looked after her manufacturing base, they are even manufacturing trains for Russia. We use to build trains, what happened to this industry and its workers in this country - how come we couldn't even bid for that contract?

posted on Oct, 13 2011 @ 05:54 PM
link   
reply to post by TetsuoIronMan

That's interesting, but I doubt I think it only works on a small scale. How would things be if all people acted like that in London, for example?

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join