It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Searchlights over Sydney

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 2 2011 @ 08:19 AM
link   
It is 12:14 am, 3/10/2011.

I have been watching searchlights over Sydney for the last 2 hours.

There are 2 of them , originating from Bankstown Airport, about 5km south from my location, Fairfield.

They are sweeping left to right, in an elliptical fashion, meeting up, and then broadening out over a distance I estimate to be 10km.

According to this website www.specialoperations.com... the Airport is an Aviation Support Branch.

The searchlights involved are Nite-sun searchlights, which have a 30 million Candle-power.

The Airport is 10km from the Holsworthy Military reserve.

My neighbour spoke to me about them earlier, and he stated that they have been going on for the last 5 nights.

It just has me wondering, as this is pretty unusual to see.

Any thoughts?

posted on Oct, 2 2011 @ 08:22 AM
link   
reply to post by Unrealised

i wouldnt worry about it
it doesnt happen often but you do see the odd search every now and then
could be something as simple as a car chase where someone got away or something..

posted on Oct, 2 2011 @ 08:27 AM
link   
No, they're coming from the ground, not from the sky.

I'm not really worried, but I just thought it odd that there have been 2 spotlights in the sky sweeping left and right for 5 days, from an airport only a few kilometres away.

posted on Oct, 2 2011 @ 08:34 AM
link   

Very suspicious.

Heard any unusual aircraft around?

posted on Oct, 2 2011 @ 08:36 AM
link   

Originally posted by Unrealised
No, they're coming from the ground, not from the sky.

I'm not really worried, but I just thought it odd that there have been 2 spotlights in the sky sweeping left and right for 5 days, from an airport only a few kilometres away.

ok sorry read that wrong
seems weird
are they shining light on roads/residential areas? because you would think that it would pose a danger and not be allowed..
could be something to do with guiding planes?

posted on Oct, 2 2011 @ 08:39 AM
link   
I didnt see anything on the searchlights on the airport's website there is an email and other contact info for the Public Relations, Communications Manager here

Bankstown Airport

they could probably answer your question better than anyone

posted on Oct, 2 2011 @ 08:41 AM
link   
No light being shone at the ground at all.

I would imagine, seeing as I haven't seen this before, that planes normally have a fine time making their way to the Airport.

As for strange Aircraft noises, no, I can't say that I've heard anything out of the ordinary.

I tried calling the Airport, even though it's late (thinking that an Airport would have at least one person manning the phones) but there was no answer, and I'm certainly not going to ask the Military base why I see searchlights shining up to the sky.

posted on Oct, 2 2011 @ 08:43 AM
link   
Mate, honestly sounds like standard dance party formation, they use those things all the time around sydney locations. Given the date and events like parklife goin on... i'd relax on this one

posted on Oct, 2 2011 @ 08:43 AM
link   

drop them an email see if they respond

posted on Oct, 2 2011 @ 08:45 AM
link   

Originally posted by iforget
I didnt see anything on the searchlights on the airport's website there is an email and other contact info for the Public Relations, Communications Manager here

Bankstown Airport

they could probably answer your question better than anyone

Well, according to the same URL I posted in the OP, the Aviation Support Branch has 28 Police and Public Servants at the Airport.

The Branch has a staff of 28 police and public servants based at Bankstown Airport, close to the geographical centre of Sydney. Aircraft and crew are available to provide support 24 hours a day anywhere in the State of New South Wales

posted on Oct, 2 2011 @ 08:46 AM
link   

Originally posted by Shar_Chi
Mate, honestly sounds like standard dance party formation, they use those things all the time around sydney locations. Given the date and events like parklife goin on... i'd relax on this one

You never know.

Gee, I hate Dance Parties.

posted on Oct, 2 2011 @ 08:48 AM
link   
Did they just start operating a new beacon? Is there night flights going into that airport?

posted on Oct, 2 2011 @ 08:50 AM
link   

Originally posted by Unrealised

Originally posted by Shar_Chi

You never know.
Gee, I hate Dance Parties.

Yeah plenty to be concerned about in the world, but I'd put money down on this one. Must be a cheapo crappy party tho, normally there's 3 or 4 lights used in that config

posted on Oct, 2 2011 @ 08:58 AM
link   

I know nothing about the actual locations, so this may be a silly suggestion, and not a very likely possibility. I know that sometimes those beacon lights are used for no other reason, than to draw attention. Sometimes they are used for the grand openings of new stores, or for special events..

Is it possible that these beacon lights could have something to do with football? The season is about over isn't it? Finals this weekend? Or is that nowhere near this area that you are talking about?

edit on 10/2/11 by BrokenCircles because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 2 2011 @ 09:06 AM
link   
reply to post by BrokenCircles

Well, I hate sport, but I know a grand final was on today, mind you, it was in Melbourne, which is in another state.

posted on Oct, 2 2011 @ 09:07 AM
link   

Originally posted by iforget
Did they just start operating a new beacon? Is there night flights going into that airport?

There's always flights going to that Airport, but never seen these lights in the sky before.

posted on Oct, 2 2011 @ 09:34 AM
link   
I live a few miles from an Airport, and they also run spot-lights every now and again, (matter of fact, even last night) I'm aware that this is probably just an attempt to signal distant planes, kind of like a reference point... to insure they don't fly over or miss the Airport. What are the current weather conditions? I ask this because visibility issues would be a general reason for the use of the lights... Either way, I'm sure it's standard protocol, for whatever reason there on.

posted on Oct, 2 2011 @ 01:42 PM
link   
Instead of asking here, why don't you drive as near to the source of the lights to find out?

posted on Oct, 2 2011 @ 03:13 PM
link   
reply to post by Jepic

Instead of asking here, why don't you drive as near to the source of the lights to find out?

That's a good suggestion, but there can be a downside to that also.

At times, those lights can be very deceiving, and highly disappointing. They almost always end up being farther away than what was originally thought. I've done it before, back in my high school days, while cruising around at night.

I can remember at least once, when we had traveled a good distance. Finally get there, and my initial thought was, "That's all? Where is rest of it? There has to be more than this.

There was nothing special going on. There was practically nothing there at all, aside from the lights themselves. in a grocery store parking lot.

edit on 10/2/11 by BrokenCircles because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 2 2011 @ 03:24 PM
link   
Where I live, the airport only turns those lights on when the weather is pretty bad... foggy, heavy rainclouds, etc..

What is the weather like there?

new topics

top topics

join