It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The boy who cried "Wolf" or "Elenin" or "Swine Flu" or ................

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 2 2011 @ 05:36 AM
link   
G'Day ATSers!

I can't tell you how many times since I joined ATS in 2008 that I've woken up in the morning and thought, "Well we're still here, there goes another bogus theory". I have to be honest, sometimes there is a tinge of relief that the planet hasn't exploded, the West coast of the US hasn't fallen into the sea or Poles haven't "shifted".

Mostly I get a feeling of despair that the reputation of CT (conspiracy theory) has taken another hit.

We are all familiar with The Boy Who Cried Wolf:

A shepherd-boy, who watched a flock of sheep near a village, brought out the villagers three or four times by crying out, "Wolf! Wolf!" and when his neighbours came to help him, laughed at them for their pains.

The Wolf, however, did truly come at last. The Shepherd-boy, now really alarmed, shouted in an agony of terror: "Pray, do come and help me; the Wolf is killing the sheep"; but no one paid any heed to his cries, nor rendered any assistance. The Wolf, having no cause of fear, at his leisure lacerated or destroyed the whole flock.

There is no believing a liar, even when he speaks the truth.

Now I'm not saying that some of those who really peddle these theories are lying, but they are seriously doing CT a disservice by not rationally weighing up all the facts and coming to sensible conclusions.

How will we ever be believed when a serious, real, credible and actual issue arises, when all the public remembers is us predicting the end of the world six time a year???

As a community, we need to pause, take a breath, research and disseminate (something that has been seriously lacking on ATS of late....), then and only then will be taken more seriously.

How horrible will we feel that when we really do have something serious to say, nobody will listen because we've spent to long spouting BS!?

Just some thoughts ATS, I expect to be ignored and flamed!

But some of us do try:

Comet Elenin: Two Excellent Articles That Talk Sense!

All the best ATS, kiwi

edit on 2-10-2011 by kiwifoot because: title fix

posted on Oct, 2 2011 @ 05:44 AM
link   
im pretty sure it was the MSM that were spewing the swine flu fear mongering, not the conspiracy theorists

regardless, you make an excellent point. what happens when the # really hits the fan and no one pays attention because of all the other times its been a hoax or misunderstood?

posted on Oct, 2 2011 @ 05:50 AM
link   
the boy who cried God!

second line
edit on 2-10-2011 by ShadowZion because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 2 2011 @ 06:55 AM
link   
reply to post by kiwifoot

Ha, I was thinking the same thing,
Was even going to make a thread about it, lol

posted on Oct, 2 2011 @ 07:28 AM
link   
[quote removed by staff]

You think reputation matters ? People will invent your reputation for you these days .
They will quite happily "quote" you when you never said anything of the sort .They are looking for someone to sharpen their knives over , because they are on a little power trip , all to themselves .

The only thing that matters is fact.
edit on Sun Oct 2 2011 by DontTreadOnMe because: Terms and Conditions of Use--Please Review

posted on Oct, 2 2011 @ 07:32 AM
link   

posted on Oct, 2 2011 @ 07:40 AM
link   

You use "rationality", "conspiracy theory" and ATS in one sentence

Excuse my sarcasm, but 85% of all the CT are not rational by a long-shot, being non rational is the reason they even exist in the first place.

I am NOT saying that rationality is the base and law of it all (because it actually is not, the human factor and subjectivity of things is indeed a very real part of our world) - but, yes, i agree it is getting very difficult to find a subject or posting which legitimates even discussing since i simply cannot argue and discuss in regards to something i consider pure nonsense. The result of that is that BIG number of postings/subjects here on the forum are...well...only for entertainment and laughs.

posted on Oct, 2 2011 @ 07:45 AM
link   

Sadly your rational argument will not be understood by the very irrational people you are actually referring to.

IRM

posted on Oct, 2 2011 @ 08:16 AM
link   
reply to post by seenavv

what happens when the # really hits the fan and no one pays attention because of all the other times its been a hoax or misunderstood?

That's the whole point. Create a cesspool of lies and disinformation so filled with defecation, nobody can distinguish truth from lie, or where one begins, and the other ends. Give the CT's and the debunkers a rabbit hole to go down, and help them find it with some well placed hints. This way you give both sides the info you want them to have, and keep the division going among them perpetually. It works brilliantly.

Few of us would know the truth if it slapped us in the face.

posted on Oct, 2 2011 @ 08:29 AM
link   

Remember all those fear mongers saying the Fukishima disaster was out of control. People will do anything to scare you. But wait..........................

posted on Oct, 2 2011 @ 08:34 AM
link   

S&F OP. A well rounded post, with some sensible viewpoints.

How will we ever be believed when a serious, real, credible and actual issue arises, when all the public remembers is us predicting the end of the world six time a year???

We won't. Ever. It doesn't matter how many times we're right or wrong. We're still the "Conspiracy community". There will never be any real legitimacy for us, except the very brief and planned moments of victory given to us for the benefit of someone elses agenda. And the public as a whole, are barely aware that we even exist. And they believe what they are told to believe anyway.

posted on Oct, 2 2011 @ 09:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by yourmamaknows

Remember all those fear mongers saying the Fukishima disaster was out of control. People will do anything to scare you. But wait..........................

Well... If you throw enough crap against the wall, something is bound to stick sooner or later. This is hardly a win for CT'ers.

IRM

posted on Oct, 3 2011 @ 03:56 AM
link   
Conspiracy theory is just a perspective used in social sciences . Its not a lot different than social interaction theory , or symbolic interaction theory . (psychology)
Its a fairly new and radical theory , just as the others were before they became accepted as having a valuable 'tint' or 'view' to place on information analysis . Functionalism , for another example , places emphasis on social norms and their basic values , such as the basic family unit . Margaret Thatcher ex British prime minister was a supposed advocate of this view and method of interpretation , important because she controlled the country at the time .

What not to do , is become a 'conspiracy theorist'. Its the fastest way to get a label stuck on your back . A good way to get ignored too. All CT really is , is the perspective that holds factors such as 'global control' of corporations governments and media in account during sociological analysis . @'you might have been lied to' being one of the potential 'inferences' . As said before however , dont make up your mind too quickly, or at all if possible. .

What to do , is use , theories in their variance to understand the core information which is disseminated , to interpret fully resulting in clearer conclusions .

Always keep an open mind and try to think 'round the back' of stuff too . Especially on ats . Common sense theory , now use that too , we all need it .

top topics

join