It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Airbag Explodes in Woman's GMC Vehicle Without Accident

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 2 2011 @ 02:41 AM
link   
Wow! This is scary! It seems this particular vehicle is not safe, and GM is being very silent on their investigative findings:

Chicago - A Chicago woman said she just went on the ride of her life. She was driving down the street when the airbags in her sports utility vehicle deployed and she had not been in an accident.

Lisa Jarrett said she's had her Envoy Excel for six years. But after Thursday’s experience, she never wants to sit behind the wheel of that GMC again.

"I heard the pop I saw the flash, and I smelled gun smoke,” Jarrett said. “Apparently the airbags are packed with gun powder and I honestly thought it was a gunshot because you see this flash of light."

"We're sitting there trying to figure out what happened. There's no malfunction, nothing's broken nothing hit us, we hit nothing the road was clear,” she said. “We don't know what happened. the noise and the impact together, you don't know whether to scream and first you scream - then you grab your arm."

Jarrett and her aunt said they were only going about 25 miles an hour when the airbag on the passenger side deployed.

Moments later, they heard another bang as the steering wheel airbag exploded.

Link

GM is being furtive....

The vehicle was towed to the nearest GMC dealership, but she said the service manager told her they couldn't fix it. They said that the SUV had not been involved in an accident when the bags deployed, and they were told by the parent company not to touch the vehicle.

Jarrett called GM and was told an investigation has to be conducted. That could take anywhere from a couple of weeks to a couple of months.

Meantime, she's got a swollen arm, a bill for a rental car and Jarrett thinks GMC is stalling and trying to hide what could be a real problem for its customers.

"The service manager says he's actually encountered the problem before and when I asked him he said I don't really know, they dealt directly with the customer and I'm not really allowed to talk about that,” Jarrett said. “This particular vehicles has had a lot of recalls the door latches don't close all the way ball bearing recalls - you know this particular line of cars - I don't think it's a safe vehicle.”

posted on Oct, 2 2011 @ 03:06 AM
link   
This is bound to happen. A short in a wire or a hitting a bump coulda set it off. Sure its faulty. But you are gonna have one or two out of the hundreds of thousands that were produced.

I think they are called Lemons.

posted on Oct, 2 2011 @ 12:17 PM
link   
my first car was as old as me, '73 chevy nova. when i hit the break pedal every light in the car came on. i was wondering how long it would take until it happened with airbags.

join