It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Facebook sued over claims it tracks users' activity

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 3 2011 @ 10:08 AM
link   

Originally posted by OwenGP185

Originally posted by caladonea
reply to post by Freedom_is_Slavery

I never joined Facebook or any website like it......and I am very glad I never did.....but I still wonder ....how do they keep track of those of us who are not on those type of websites.....through our email accounts?

You're bank account.

I do not bank online...and I don't have any credit cards...does that make a difference?

posted on Oct, 3 2011 @ 10:12 AM
link   
reply to post by caladonea

Tracking cookies. almost all websites employ them.

A cookie, also known as an HTTP cookie, web cookie, or browser cookie, is used for an origin website to send state information to a user's browser and for the browser to return the state information to the origin site.[1] The state information can be used for authentication, identification of a user session, user's preferences, shopping cart contents, or anything else that can be accomplished through storing text data.
Cookies are not software. They cannot be programmed, cannot carry viruses, and cannot install malware on the host computer .[2] However, they can be used by spyware to track user's browsing activities – a major privacy concern that prompted European and US law makers to take action.[3] [4] Cookies can also be stolen by hackers to gain access to a victim's web account.[5]

posted on Oct, 3 2011 @ 10:36 AM
link   
reply to post by VonDoomen

Thanks for the info ...very useful to know. How about if a person goes into (tools) then clicks (clear recent history) then checks off (browsing and download history), (form and search history) and (cookies) and deletes these daily.....would that help?

posted on Oct, 3 2011 @ 05:20 PM
link   
reply to post by caladonea

your better off just using firefox with addons-
adblock plus
avg safe search
beef taco(targeted advertising cookie optout)
trackmenot
noscript
These addons will take care of you. The last one, noscript is a very powerful addon and requires a little intuition. Basically it prevents all scripts on a website from automatically loading, and requiring you to allow scripts to run. however the good part is, it remembers your settings, so the more you browse, the better it will be.

another very useful tool is peerblock.
this is a community driven program that allows you to block IP addresses. the website has tons of lists you can download that are already created and catagorized. this program is a must

posted on Oct, 4 2011 @ 01:27 AM
link   

Originally posted by caladonea
reply to post by Freedom_is_Slavery

I never joined Facebook or any website like it......and I am very glad I never did.....but I still wonder ....how do they keep track of those of us who are not on those type of websites.....through our email accounts?

When someone put in the effort to try and explain to you what you ask, the least thing you can do is reply.

My reply to you

posted on Oct, 4 2011 @ 08:22 AM
link   
reply to post by Required01

Thank you for your response and help.....it's a good thing!

posted on Oct, 4 2011 @ 10:13 AM
link   
why do you people use your real info i use a alias on facebook and google fake age to all my friends tell man you know you aint no 25 true i am over 40 but why does faCEBOOK NEED TO KNOW THAT when i buy stuff online i use a prepaid visa i got from wALMART that doesnt have my real name attached to it same with my prepaid phone
even my internet comes from wifi down the street that i pay home owners monthly service for in cash didn't you guys watch enemy of the state . yesh. tes face book tracks you thats how zuckerberg became a billionaire phishing you for your webhistory so he could sell info to advertizers.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join