It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

First cold snap of the season - US

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 2 2011 @ 03:53 AM
link   
And for the people who only use Al Gores name anytime you bring up cold, because there isn't thousands of other people backing it up, just because it still snows doesn't mean that there isn't a GW problem.

Do some research before posting nonsense.

In fact, cold winters and hot summers support the GW theory, as it means the conveyor belts in the ocean are slowing down and temperatures aren't being distributed around the globe, meaning hotter summers and colder winters.

posted on Oct, 2 2011 @ 10:23 AM
link   
And just for the record, it is friggin freezing. i hate it. You all who love it are just nuts. Or I need to move to the Keyes.XD

posted on Oct, 2 2011 @ 11:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by expat2368
Lots more explaining for Al Gore to do about how these nasty winters that are getting worse are due to "Globull warming".
"Global" doesn't mean "your back yard".

Here in Portugal we are having, at this moment (17:40) 31º C (88º F, I think), so yes, it's warm in here, more than usual for this time of year.

posted on Oct, 2 2011 @ 11:50 AM
link   
reply to post by mayabong

It's a beautiful time of year to be in NC! Unfortunately the first cold snap comes with the first wave of cold season, I am surrounded by sickies! I'm Western NC, I can't believe two weeks ago I was kayaking and complaining about a sunburn! The cold truly comes out of nowhere here.

posted on Oct, 2 2011 @ 11:59 AM
link   
Curse you Elenin, causing this ice age that will probably last until March of 2012!
DOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOM!
*shakes fist*
(sorry, I miss the Elenin threads)

Happy hollidays folks!

posted on Oct, 2 2011 @ 12:26 PM
link   
Here in the Netherlands we have been going to the beach!!

Warmest Octobre 1 ever: 78 degrees F = 26 Celsius
And today it was the same. Tomorrow too.

This makes up (a little) for the baaaaad summer we had.

posted on Oct, 3 2011 @ 11:59 PM
link   
reply to post by nixie_nox

You do realize that there are literally hundreds of papers out there discussing the how's and why's of planetary warming all over this solar system. Everything from planetary tilt, to the sun's recent fluctuations in brightness, to solar storms has been attributed to this phenomenon. NASA it self has written on the issue stating that “though manmade pollution is to blame for a small amount of our planet’s warming, most of the rise in temperature can be attributed to factors not of this earth.” Mars is heating up (**currently by 0.65 Celsius Degrees and climbing), and Saturn’s Ice Moon is also rising in temperature. Surely mankind isn’t to blame for those heating trends.

You hit the nail on the head with your comment discussing the oceanic conveyor belt being disrupted by ice melt, but that melting is coming from a celestial source, not from us. Most of the damage our pollution does is reflected in the levels of present humidity in the atmosphere. We’re more to blame for the heavier rains in some regions and the droughts in others than we are to actual temperature change. The “smog” we create tends to trap moisture, keeping it from doing its job, and eventually when the smog has trapped enough of it to create rain, it’s become so acidic that it becomes dangerous for plants and animals to consume.
Mankind has been fortunate enough to live during a relative warm period for the earth, but the truth is, this planet’s natural state is a much colder one. In essence; the world has spent more time in Ice Ages than not. Eventually the world will relapse back into a cold period, pushing civilization down towards the equatorial belt in order to keep agriculture going. This is something that mankind needs to prepare for, and who knows… maybe they are.

And I only mentioned Gore because of his well-known film that everyone seems to think is the answer to fixing global woes, and in a way he’s right. People should do all of the things he mentioned in ‘An Inconvenient Truth’, however, they should do them for the sake of smog reduction and not global warming. There’s nothing we can do about global warming, but there is plenty we can do in regards to air quality.

** A little over half a degree doesn’t seem like much, but when considering that the difference between a normal summer day and an ice age is only a 10-degree difference, that half a degree is notable.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join