It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

PS3 internet connection Help....Please

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 1 2011 @ 09:20 PM
link   
Hi folks
Just bought the kids a PS3 after months of nagging...trouble is we do not have wired internet.
But we do have Nokia x phones N97s... that allow the phones modem to be used to connect a laptop to the net for example.
Trouble is the Wifi on the PS3 won't recognise the phone application wifi ( 3spot) (in Australia)...it scans and just sees neighbours faint wireless signals.

Is it possible to connect to PS3 via a N97 with no added hardware?

Icannot see why not if you can share the phone connection with several laptops why not one PS 3.

Any help would be apprecaited.

Perhaps someone has connected a N97 to a PS3 using wireless?

posted on Oct, 1 2011 @ 09:26 PM
link   
Dont bother mate speeds and data on a phone will make it costly and slow.

posted on Oct, 1 2011 @ 09:36 PM
link   
reply to post by muSSang

Well we have 8gb per month how much does online gaming consume?
The speed ok ...but its next 3g connection , and it is pretty quick on clear days, which in beautiful Australia is most days
. about 500kb/s.
But are you saying wireless phone modems are no good?
What about for just web browsing?
The kids are crazy about the Fifa soccer game, they play it online at their friends house.
Surely next 3g is fast enough for a scoocer game?

posted on Oct, 1 2011 @ 09:39 PM
link   
You're going to have to set it up with a SSID name and password. This is just like setting up a router, however, beware, if you don't have a large/unlimited data cap, you are gonna get a butt load of extra charges.
Also, I don't recommend using your PS3 over a 3g/4g network. The lag would be excruciating.

Do the kids a favor and get them a modem. Much cheaper in the long run.

ETA:

To answer your second question.

Online gaming uses about 20-25mb/hr so thats quite a few hours. The game demos are the big eaters, usually gobbling up well over 1GB a piece.
edit on 1-10-2011 by Garkiniss because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 1 2011 @ 09:46 PM
link   
It wouldn't be stable enough to be connected long enough to get a Fifa match in. Mobile networks aren't like wifi, it can be on no signal to having connection in seconds, but that's all it takes to disconnect a game being played online. It will be either very frustrating or more likely unplayable. Not to mention latency issues you will experience.

I wouldn't recommend spending too much time sorting this out. Either get a long Ethernet cable or just grab a wireless modem.

posted on Oct, 1 2011 @ 09:48 PM
link   
reply to post by Garkiniss

Thanks mate I hadn't expected lag problems ..the reason we don't have a modem connected to a hard wired broadband is we flit between two locations and the phones modem solution seemed like a good idea at the time.

Oh well , put the ssid name and pasword in but the pSs still wouldn't recognise the access point on any of th ephones loaded with 3 spot on the 3 g/next g network.

The laptop is easy why does a gaming console make this an issue to even conect?

posted on Oct, 1 2011 @ 09:54 PM
link   
reply to post by Dr Expired

I'm guessing the recognition issue might have to do with Playstation's new security settings. Their network got hacked earlier this year and they really crunched down on the safety of their customers making it harder to just swoop in and out of the system. This might be the issue.
You may just have to break it to the kids that the PS3 is going to have to remain either offline or at one of the two locations, unless another solution presents itself. As for me... I'm out of ideas. Sorry.

posted on Oct, 1 2011 @ 09:59 PM
link   
I have a ps3 and do just fine without internet, unless it needs an "update"

But im an 80's/nintendo baby, before online gameing. Get some games from a pawnshop. Much cheaper

posted on Oct, 1 2011 @ 10:01 PM
link   
I'm going to assume you're using Windows 7 if you're not just ignore this post.

You could try turning your laptop into a virtual internet hotspot and have your PS3 connect to it wireless. this can be done quite easily actually by downloading the free software from Connectify, I've used it in the past and can definitely vouch for it. The downside is that in order to access internet on your PS3 you'll have to keep the laptop on.

Step 1: Download and install Connectify
Step 2: Reboot your computer
Step 3: Follow the easy set-up wizard and create your virtual hotspot.
Step 4: Turn on your PS3 - Internet Settings - Easy - Scan
Step 5: Select the hotspot you created, hit next until the PS3 internet connection wizard closes, the default settings for everything else will be fine.

Hope this helps, if you don't have Windows 7 let me know and i'll see if there's an alternative to connectify.

posted on Oct, 1 2011 @ 10:13 PM
link   
reply to post by YouDeserveToKnow

No only Vista...but why is the lap top hotspot different than the Wep encrypted N97 hotspot?
The vista laptops connect to the modems of the n97s via the installed phone app 3 spot no bother.
Why is the pS3 detecting neighbours wireless systems here on the Gold coast ...but not the phones which normally registers a 100% signal on the laptop connection?

It seems very odd.

Have exhaustively researched and rang around , seems like tis setup for some obscure reason..has been designed not to work with a PS3.

Not the end of the world...good job the hard drive at least works.

Thanks everyone for the attempted help...sometimes the easy way is made hard by designers?
edit on 1-10-2011 by Dr Expired because: added info

posted on Oct, 1 2011 @ 10:51 PM
link   
Well when your Laptop connects to your phone's internet it treats the phone like a dial-up modem. There's few (if any) phones that will broadcast Internet connections the way routers do. That's why your PS3 won't pick up the connection.

Hooking it up with a USB cable won't work either if that's how you've been trying to connect it. There's no way a PS3 will be able to dial the modem as it's simply not a supported way of connecting to the internet.

Give Connectify a go anyway, I've heard that it at least partially supports Vista. If it works and you have problems configuring it let me know and i'll go into more detail or do it for you over Teamviewer.
edit on 1-10-2011 by YouDeserveToKnow because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 1 2011 @ 10:56 PM
link   
Well if you ever get online send me an PSN friend invite

or ANY OF you here would love to play with some ATS family

let me know your from ATS

PSN ID NutzMcTaffy

posted on Oct, 2 2011 @ 06:23 AM
link   
reply to post by Dr Expired

your problem is you should of got a xbox.

posted on Oct, 2 2011 @ 08:55 AM
link   
Laptop have ethernet port? Share the connection from the laptop to the ps3 with just a cable

posted on Oct, 3 2011 @ 12:41 PM
link   
reply to post by iforget

I did this with my xbox once, should work with a ps3. 500kb is way not enough to enjoy online games, especially if said games have bad netcode.

posted on Oct, 3 2011 @ 01:09 PM
link   
reply to post by HanoverFat

It works I watch netflix that way often off a 3g connection, gaming not so much....

posted on Oct, 14 2011 @ 03:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by YouDeserveToKnow
Well when your Laptop connects to your phone's internet it treats the phone like a dial-up modem. There's few (if any) phones that will broadcast Internet connections the way routers do. That's why your PS3 won't pick up the connection.

Hooking it up with a USB cable won't work either if that's how you've been trying to connect it. There's no way a PS3 will be able to dial the modem as it's simply not a supported way of connecting to the internet.

Give Connectify a go anyway, I've heard that it at least partially supports Vista. If it works and you have problems configuring it let me know and i'll go into more detail or do it for you over Teamviewer.
edit on 1-10-2011 by YouDeserveToKnow because: (no reason given)

Please anyon ereading this beware of using Connectify it has made one laptop unconnectable to internet unless I am dumb enough to supply my credit card details and upgrade to the version that actually allows internet sharing.
Bewrae everyone of what info you follow lest you be a fool.

new topics

top topics

join