It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Christianity beginning to not make sense.

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 1 2011 @ 08:03 PM
link   
1. Why is it that God lets half the world starve? Surely this isn't part of his divine plan. If it is, I would say it's a very cruel plan indeed. What makes us here in the U.S. and the other first world nations more deserving of life and happiness than the millions of starving children in Africa? When I read about these children, it makes me want to cry. But is God not all powerful? Can he not perform a miracles to feed them?

2. How is the Bible's story in any way compatible with evolution? The Bible says the universe was created in six days, somewhere around 6,000 years ago. But this obviously just isn't true. There's overwhelming evidence that the universe is over 13 billion years old, and that life has been around for millions of years. It cannot simply be ignored; it is the truth. And yet it contradicts the Bible, which is supposed to be the infallible word of God. Something infallible should not contradict something that is overwhelmingly evident (enough to claim that it is 100% true). I'd like to know how you explain this.

3. Does Christianity (and religion in general, really) not seem like just a way to explain phenomena that we don't understand? We don't know what happens after death, so we simply say that our soul goes to an afterlife, even if there is no actual evidence to support this (only the Bible, but I will get to that in the next question).

I heard a really good example of this, though it doesn't deal with Christianity, but it still brings a good point: the Vikings used to believe that, every now and then, a Wolf God would eat the moon, and that if they yelled really loudly, the Wolf God would give it back. Of course, they would yell, and the moon would slowly come back. This was evidence of their belief that a Wolf God, indeed, ate the moon. However, humans later found out that this is actually a lunar eclipse, and not a Wolf God at all. And since the phenomenon would explained scientifically, there was no way to believe in the Wolf God anymore.

It just seems like this is true with Christianity too. As the human race finds more and more out about the nature of the universe, the less can be attributed to God. We once thought disease was a punishment by God, but that was later revealed to simply be microbes in the human body; not supernatural at all. I would like to know what you think of this.

4. What validity does the Bible have? It was written by men, many, many year s ago. It has gone through hundreds of translations, which leads me to believe that what we're reading may not be the Bible at all, but rather the result of 2,000 years of mistranslations.

5. How can we believe in certain parts of the Bible, but not others? It is, after all, the infallible word of God, so it should all be true, and we should abide by every word of it. And yet, some parts of the Bible speak of oppressing women, promoting slavery, and how homosexuals are abominations. Should not we be sexist, homophobic slaveowners then? Obviously not. But my question is, how we can we ignore THIS part of the Word of God, but still abide by the rest?

posted on Oct, 1 2011 @ 08:08 PM
link   
The bible has never made sense, you're just noticing that now ?

posted on Oct, 1 2011 @ 08:19 PM
link   
1. Why is it that God lets half the world starve? Surely this isn't part of his divine plan. If it is, I would say it's a very cruel plan indeed. What makes us here in the U.S. and the other first world nations more deserving of life and happiness than the millions of starving children in Africa? When I read about these children, it makes me want to cry. But is God not all powerful? Can he not perform a miracles to feed them?

** It happens because this world is under the rule and authority of Satan and the curse of sin which is Satan's Nature. People assume God can do whatever he wants since he's all powerful and that's true to an extent but he has elevated his word above himself and he also has to follow his own rules.

2. How is the Bible's story in any way compatible with evolution? The Bible says the universe was created in six days, somewhere around 6,000 years ago. But this obviously just isn't true. There's overwhelming evidence that the universe is over 13 billion years old, and that life has been around for millions of years. It cannot simply be ignored; it is the truth. And yet it contradicts the Bible, which is supposed to be the infallible word of God. Something infallible should not contradict something that is overwhelmingly evident (enough to claim that it is 100% true). I'd like to know how you explain this.

**The creation of adam and eve is a "Re-creation" event in which an old world or civilization was devastated and God recreated man. There is plenty of evidence in the bible that supports this theory. research the phrase "Tohu" and "Bohu"

3. Does Christianity (and religion in general, really) not seem like just a way to explain phenomena that we don't understand? We don't know what happens after death, so we simply say that our soul goes to an afterlife, even if there is no actual evidence to support this (only the Bible, but I will get to that in the next question).

I heard a really good example of this, though it doesn't deal with Christianity, but it still brings a good point: the Vikings used to believe that, every now and then, a Wolf God would eat the moon, and that if they yelled really loudly, the Wolf God would give it back. Of course, they would yell, and the moon would slowly come back. This was evidence of their belief that a Wolf God, indeed, ate the moon. However, humans later found out that this is actually a lunar eclipse, and not a Wolf God at all. And since the phenomenon would explained scientifically, there was no way to believe in the Wolf God anymore.

It just seems like this is true with Christianity too. As the human race finds more and more out about the nature of the universe, the less can be attributed to God. We once thought disease was a punishment by God, but that was later revealed to simply be microbes in the human body; not supernatural at all. I would like to know what you think of this.

** There is a natural side to things that happen and a supernatural. Just because we figure out what happens in the natural doesn't mean there isn't a supernatural. We can't see things in the supernatural because of sin. Also God wants people to believe in faith without seeing him. there's plenty of evidence in nature of intelligent design and the testimony of nature and within the human body.

4. What validity does the Bible have? It was written by men, many, many year s ago. It has gone through hundreds of translations, which leads me to believe that what we're reading may not be the Bible at all, but rather the result of 2,000 years of mistranslations.

**Look at the bible code. Also look at the hebrew language. the hebrew language was written so that it can not be translated misunderstood. for example each letter has a definition and all the letters making up the word defines the word. God is big enough to create the heavens and the earth and maintain them he's big enough to write a book.

5. How can we believe in certain parts of the Bible, but not others? It is, after all, the infallible word of God, so it should all be true, and we should abide by every word of it. And yet, some parts of the Bible speak of oppressing women, promoting slavery, and how homosexuals are abominations. Should not we be sexist, homophobic slaveowners then? Obviously not. But my question is, how we can we ignore THIS part of the Word of God, but still abide by the rest?

****We are to abhore sin and reprove it. things in culture and societies were permitted because of the hardness of mens hearts. Now that we have salvation and the rebirth and the nature of God we are to love women as we love ourselves, not divorce them at a whimm but only under certain conditions like adultery. I sense you are a very young and untaught child in the word and i suggest you start with basic doctrines and principles in the word before you get onto the difficult subjects. learn the basics about God, attend a school of the bible class and start studying.

posted on Oct, 1 2011 @ 08:32 PM
link   
of course the bible makes no sense..they took out 14 of the books... try doing that with an encyclopedia set and get an accurate read on the world... not possible

posted on Oct, 1 2011 @ 08:35 PM
link   
The world is in this condition because man uses God's supposed words to commit Satan's very real actions.

I got 12 years Catholic school behind me so I'm very familiar with hypochristians.

posted on Oct, 1 2011 @ 08:37 PM
link   
The Bible contains 2812 contradictions, over 1000 of them in the Gospels alone......
In the words of the late great George Carlin " if this is the best God can do, im not impressed".

posted on Oct, 1 2011 @ 08:44 PM
link   
I discovered this many years ago,
I am happy that you have come to
better understanding yourself.

posted on Oct, 1 2011 @ 09:19 PM
link   
reply to post by dudeguyman

I don't go for the notion that if any part of the Bible is shown to be no longer applicable, within our current frame of reference and increasing understanding, that the whole thing must be discarded. It still maintains it's integrity and wholeness when read with the right eye, and the heart of wisdom and understanding - because at it's core, it's the story of we ourselves in search of, and coming into a relationship with the one true and authentic God of spirit, truth and love.

When the time is right, the word and the logos shine forth, like a great beam of light to envelope the whole world, and then at long last, the love of God and the understanding of God will form the keystone in a royal arch across which humanity shall pass into everlasting freedom, love and new life.

One world will pass away, and another will bring in a whole new framework, and a new understanding, of our place in the world and our relationship with God. God will then come to make his home with us, and we will be his God and the river of the water of life will flow freely between two trees of life, the tree of the duality of good and evil, uprooted and cast into the abyss, and nowhere to be seen.

A new frame. It's coming. Indeed it is already here.

posted on Oct, 1 2011 @ 09:32 PM
link   
1.I have free will so I can choose to do or don't.
2.The word for day in Hebrew is also event and it took 6 events in creation that amazingly correlates to evolution
theory and we are in the 7th event now.
3.I've been there to heaven and you could just say wow for ever because of the love and I would be profoundly
happier there than here but I again get to choose.
4.Because of the dead sea scrolls scholars and theologians were amazed at the Old Testaments accuracy.
5.Only the first 5 books were considered most inspired of GOD the Bible never reads that its infallible its the story
of GOD and his peoples spiritual evolution that is complete but has not played out yet.

posted on Oct, 1 2011 @ 10:52 PM
link   
reply to post by mikeprodigy

2.The word for day in Hebrew is also event and it took 6 events in creation. . .
What? The word for day in Hebrew comes from an unused root word for heat, as in the heat of the day, so means a day, as in from sunup to sunset. To mean something other than a literal day, there has to be a modifier attached, which is not found in Genesis One, so it looks like you are just listening to some sort of salesmanship to buy into some sort of Jewish type religion, where a sensible person would see it as the hoax that it is, and dump it for Christianity which actually makes sense.
edit on 1-10-2011 by jmdewey60 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 2 2011 @ 12:39 AM
link   
reply to post by jmdewey60

Thank you for your opinion I don't have that opinion its a debated word used in meaning time age year event period phase a day to God is as a thousand years and the fact that time can not control or effect God for he is ageless.
The debate is not finished yet for the Genesis definition many bible scholars are still in debate.
God could of said Let every thing be created and puff there it is but he described an evolution of 6 days a step by step guide That I believe was telling the truth in both ways of looking at it from primitive to present understanding.
What I find unbelievable is that the order was correct.

Thanks for your comment

posted on Oct, 2 2011 @ 01:01 AM
link   

There is always a debate on Genesis but I don't know about an ongoing debate on how the Hebrew word for Day is used or normally understood. You are talking about desperate excuses for serious flaws in the old Testament that prove a made up book purporting to be Holy.
If anyone desires truth, then the New Testament is the place to look, not a book of mythology.

posted on Oct, 2 2011 @ 01:23 AM
link   
[more
Again I thank you for your opinion I do not want to find flaws I want to search for the truth and finding it I find it even more holy about the scholars debate on yom I don't think its that hard to find just go on HEBREW WORD FOR DAY.

Thanks for your comment.

posted on Oct, 2 2011 @ 01:29 AM
link   
I agree with the OB but I haven't written the bible off completely. There is till a lot of thruth in the bible but it needs to be taken in context. Over the years the writings of the vivle have been influenced strongly by political angendas. Often the cultre at the time is not taken into account. Just take a step back and view the bible with more objective eyes. Throughout history religion has been used to manipulate people and give power to a select few. Start with that Idea and when you have identified the manipulative and controlling aspects of the bible you are often left with the THUTH that the bible was always meant to convey.
edit on 2/10/2011 by hudsonhawk69 because: typo

posted on Oct, 2 2011 @ 01:41 AM
link   

And what exactly do you find holy about the Old Testament?
As for, day, in the OT, if the word is day, it means, day.
There are 88 different forms used in the OT for day.
The form used in describing the days of creation in Genesis one occurs 239 times and always means, day, or sometimes, daily. Once in Job it is translated to mean a persons life, as in what goes on, day after day, but it is never used to mean an age. One of the other 88 versions may, but that is my point, what those words mean have no berring on verses where that word is not used.

edit on 2-10-2011 by jmdewey60 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 2 2011 @ 01:49 AM
link   
From the urantia book:

9. Christianity’s Problem
(2082.6) 195:9.1 Do not overlook the value of your spiritual heritage, the river of truth running down through the centuries, even to the barren times of a materialistic and secular age. In all your worthy efforts to rid yourselves of the superstitious creeds of past ages, make sure that you hold fast the eternal truth. But be patient! when the present superstition revolt is over, the truths of Jesus’ gospel will persist gloriously to illuminate a new and better way.
(2082.7) 195:9.2 But paganized and socialized Christianity stands in need of new contact with the uncompromised teachings of Jesus; it languishes for lack of a new vision of the Master’s life on earth. A new and fuller revelation of the religion of Jesus is destined to conquer an empire of materialistic secularism and to overthrow a world sway of mechanistic naturalism. Urantia is now quivering on the very brink of one of its most amazing and enthralling epochs of social readjustment, moral quickening, and spiritual enlightenment.
(2082.8) 195:9.3 The teachings of Jesus, even though greatly modified, survived the mystery cults of their birthtime, the ignorance and superstition of the dark ages, and are even now slowly triumphing over the materialism, mechanism, and secularism of the twentieth century. And such times of great testing and threatened defeat are always times of great revelation.
(2082.9) 195:9.4 Religion does need new leaders, spiritual men and women who will dare to depend solely on Jesus and his incomparable teachings. If Christianity persists in neglecting its spiritual mission while it continues to busy itself with social and material problems, the spiritual renaissance must await the coming of these new teachers of Jesus’ religion who will be exclusively devoted to the spiritual regeneration of men. And then will these spirit-born souls quickly supply the leadership and inspiration requisite for the social, moral, economic, and political reorganization of the world.
(2083.1) 195:9.5 The modern age will refuse to accept a religion which is inconsistent with facts and out of harmony with its highest conceptions of truth, beauty, and goodness. The hour is striking for a rediscovery of the true and original foundations of present-day distorted and compromised Christianity — the real life and teachings of Jesus.
2083.2) 195:9.6 Primitive man lived a life of superstitious bondage to religious fear. Modern, civilized men dread the thought of falling under the dominance of strong religious convictions. Thinking man has always feared to be held by a religion. When a strong and moving religion threatens to dominate him, he invariably tries to rationalize, traditionalize, and institutionalize it, thereby hoping to gain control of it. By such procedure, even a revealed religion becomes man-made and man-dominated. Modern men and women of intelligence evade the religion of Jesus because of their fears of what it will do to them — and with them. And all such fears are well founded. The religion of Jesus does, indeed, dominate and transform its believers, demanding that men dedicate their lives to seeking for a knowledge of the will of the Father in heaven and requiring that the energies of living be consecrated to the unselfish service of the brotherhood of man.
(2083.3) 195:9.7 Selfish men and women simply will not pay such a price for even the greatest spiritual treasure ever offered mortal man. Only when man has become sufficiently disillusioned by the sorrowful disappointments attendant upon the foolish and deceptive pursuits of selfishness, and subsequent to the discovery of the barrenness of formalized religion, will he be disposed to turn wholeheartedly to the gospel of the kingdom, the religion of Jesus of Nazareth.
(2083.4) 195:9.8 The world needs more firsthand religion. Even Christianity — the best of the religions of the twentieth century — is not only a religion about Jesus, but it is so largely one which men experience secondhand. They take their religion wholly as handed down by their accepted religious teachers. What an awakening the world would experience if it could only see Jesus as he really lived on earth and know, firsthand, his life-giving teachings! Descriptive words of things beautiful cannot thrill like the sight thereof, neither can creedal words inspire men’s souls like the experience of knowing the presence of God. But expectant faith will ever keep the hope-door of man’s soul open for the entrance of the eternal spiritual realities of the divine values of the worlds beyond.
(2083.5) 195:9.9 Christianity has dared to lower its ideals before the challenge of human greed, war-madness, and the lust for power; but the religion of Jesus stands as the unsullied and transcendent spiritual summons, calling to the best there is in man to rise above all these legacies of animal evolution and, by grace, attain the moral heights of true human destiny. (2083.6) 19

posted on Oct, 2 2011 @ 01:50 AM
link   
per the urantia book:

(2083.6) 195:9.10 Christianity is threatened by slow death from formalism, overorganization, intellectualism, and other nonspiritual trends. The modern Christian church is not such a brotherhood of dynamic believers as Jesus commissioned continuously to effect the spiritual transformation of successive generations of mankind.
(2083.7) 195:9.11 So-called Christianity has become a social and cultural movement as well as a religious belief and practice. The stream of modern Christianity drains many an ancient pagan swamp and many a barbarian morass; many olden cultural watersheds drain into this present-day cultural stream as well as the high Galilean tablelands which are supposed to be its exclusive source.

posted on Oct, 2 2011 @ 01:50 AM
link   

edit on 2-10-2011 by InshaAllah because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 2 2011 @ 02:05 AM
link   
reply to post by InshaAllah

per the urantia book:
Which is something commissioned by the Rockefeller's to create fake prophecy to later be used to present one of their clan as a new messiah. That didn't work out well because of a failure with the person they had designated. (Such schemes never work out because the subjects never accept such fakeness).

posted on Oct, 2 2011 @ 02:23 AM
link   

Again I thank you for your comments
I find it Holy for in it I find the prophesies of the Anointed Jesus that's all I need to make it Holy.
The rest we are not in agreement. I'm a scholar for one my Professor of theology is another.
I hope this can be put to rest that we just are not in agreement I bless you just the same.

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join