It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Occupying Wall Street. Just How BIG is it?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 1 2011 @ 07:04 PM
link   
The reason I ask this is that I am from the U.K and to be honest, not a word on the MSM.

I have been watching SKY News for the last half hour and nothing!! Nothing on the main headlines and nothing on the ribbon. Tried checking out their website and nothing obvious.

So tried the BBC. Again nothing on the Headlines or Ribbon. Tried their website and again nothing obvious.

It's funny that you get a handful of people protesting in Syria (this is the main story on the BBC), Pakistan and Iran and it makes the Headlines, Ribbons and Website. When it comes to Western countries it's very little or NOTHING.

Seriously, if it wasn't for the fact I come on to ATS, I wouldn't know anything about this movement.

I think it speaks volumes about the control the media magnates have on the flow of information.

Good luck my cousins in the U.S.

Undoubtedly, like most things in life, the U.K will be following suit in about 5 years.

posted on Oct, 1 2011 @ 07:06 PM
link   
reply to post by Cobaltic1978

Well, there are people getting arrested in the hundreds everyday, so I'd say it's pretty big. I saw a thread earlier that said there was 10,000 people.

posted on Oct, 1 2011 @ 07:06 PM
link   
Well i know it's big enough that it is coming to Australia this month. Its called Occupy Australia, being held in all major cities, i'm thinking of attending, however am unsure.

posted on Oct, 1 2011 @ 07:09 PM
link   
I agree, my friends(who are pretty smart) have not even heard of the protests in the U.S

just go to show how the media is controlled by the 1%.

posted on Oct, 1 2011 @ 07:09 PM
link   
reply to post by Spieluhr

I hear what preople are saying, just can't understand why something this BIG isn't being reported on the MSM in the U.K.

Sorry, of course I know why, but it does prove that they are absolutely #ting a brick!!

posted on Oct, 1 2011 @ 07:11 PM
link   
See for yourself. There were hundreds on the Brooklyn bridge today (they closed it down) and what looks to up a couple thousand in the parks. It's 8 p.m. in liberty park now and there appears to still be several hundred maybe up to a thousand. Honestly hard to tell.

There are a lot of people. Actually it's mind blowing that that many people have remained so peaceful (funny enough the news is bashing them for being disorganized). The biggest number I've heard is around 10,000 and with over 20,000 watching the live stream I posted below. Those numbers don't include the thousands protesting around the country.

Not to mention there are probably around a hundred protests in support of OWS in cities around the country.
www.livestream.com...
edit on 1-10-2011 by GogoVicMorrow because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 1 2011 @ 07:13 PM
link   
reply to post by GogoVicMorrow

I am not doubting that is going on, but merely trying to prove of the cover up going on in the U.K.

posted on Oct, 1 2011 @ 07:16 PM
link   

I didn't mean to imply that you were doubting it. Sorry if it came out that way.

This whole thing just feels like Christmas to me so I came off a little over enthusiastic.

posted on Oct, 1 2011 @ 07:18 PM
link   
reply to post by GogoVicMorrow

Is it BIG news on the MSM in the U.S?

Or are they treating it with little significance?

posted on Oct, 1 2011 @ 07:19 PM
link   

The MSM is controlled by TPTB,
the last thing they want is for
this to spill over to the UK. Last
I heard they have arrested 400
from the Brooklyn Bridge. I
expect it to be in my city soon.

People in the UK will get light
of this in other ways such as
ATS, Twitter, FB (dare I say).

posted on Oct, 1 2011 @ 07:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by Cobaltic1978

It's funny that you get a handful of people protesting in Syria (this is the main story on the BBC), Pakistan and Iran and it makes the Headlines, Ribbons and Website. When it comes to Western countries it's very little or NOTHING.

I think it speaks volumes about the control the media magnates have on the flow of information.

It's called 'FREE PRESS'. All over Western Countries and EU all the same. Even Russian mainstream media are under this global censorship.

posted on Oct, 1 2011 @ 07:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by Cobaltic1978
reply to post by Spieluhr

I hear what preople are saying, just can't understand why something this BIG isn't being reported on the MSM in the U.K.

Sorry, of course I know why, but it does prove that they are absolutely #ting a brick!!

Its not being reported by the media, its a good sign that the government did not provoke the protest. I think its funny, when they do report protest they bad mouth them and people get angry, when they dont report protest people are mad because they are not reporting it. Its better that they stay away from it so the underground media can report on it non biasly. The people that still watch CNN fox MSNBC are to stupid to comprehend what they are watching. They have been exposed many times and some people still keep turning to the main stream.
edit on 1-10-2011 by 8ILlBILl8 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 1 2011 @ 07:22 PM
link   
reply to post by crazydaisy

I totally agree with you. TPTB must seriously be thinking WTF!!

As I previously said , we will probably catch on in about 5 years. That seems to be the norm in the U.K. We are usually about 5 years behind you guys.

Although that has changed since the internet I guess.

posted on Oct, 1 2011 @ 07:32 PM
link   
I've been following Occupy Wall Street here. NOTHING on UK news, as OP stated. I've been asking friends and family here what they know. The answers have all been the same. Nothing.

I haven't been online for a few days and I can't believe how much this seems to be taking off!

Could set a good example to those in the UK who want to "protest".

What started as a protest here back in August turned into a rioting Chav free for all...

edit on 1-10-2011 by Mouldilocks because: spells

posted on Oct, 1 2011 @ 07:35 PM
link   
reply to post by crazydaisy

Seems like it's gaining momentum, despite the fact that the MSM is unwilling to "report." Keeping the momentum going will be the trick (it's hard to steer a battleship) but it seems like it's well on its way, doesn't it?

posted on Oct, 1 2011 @ 07:36 PM
link   
This is without doubt at least partially an 'internet event' like we get ever so often and yes, some degree of hype is at play here.

It's a little embarrassing that the rest of the world sees the US erupting into a second revolution while New Yorkers are headed to the bars like any other saturday night.

posted on Oct, 1 2011 @ 07:40 PM
link   

No not at all. People get on here talking about media blackouts a lot, but this is a legit one. You might hear it mentioned on the news (maybe), but a story like this (had it been any other story this size) would be 24/7 coverage.

You have to understand also how fast this happened. This has potential to be huge. Especially when TPTB or whoever realize there is nothing they can/will do to fix what these people are mad about. Then the people get legitimately pissed off. There is no reason to stop this and no reason for the feelings to fade because there was no major event to spark it nothing that fades the further you get from it (like patriotism fading with time again after 9/11 etc)

posted on Oct, 1 2011 @ 07:44 PM
link   
I have seen absolutely nothing regarding the protests. I live in the 3rd largest market in the USA. I have found it odd and disconcerting while also reaffirming my absolute disdain for what passes for 'news' these days. I watch the news everyday too. S+F!

posted on Oct, 1 2011 @ 07:55 PM
link   

There might be a reason why media does not really report on it. There was a few pieces of legislation concerning media after 9/11 and I am just recalling from memory. I remember there was something to do with stories related to domestic unrest that could incite further unrest were prohibited.

posted on Oct, 1 2011 @ 07:58 PM
link   
reply to post by ~Lucidity

seems like it's well on its way, doesn't it?

Yes I would say so and it isn't even
Monday yet - back to work day and
all that it is.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join