It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Major Extra-Solar Discovery Announcement Scheduled August 31

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 27 2004 @ 09:56 AM
link   
www.nasa.gov...

Gretchen Cook-Anderson
Headquarters, Washington
(Phone: 202/358-0836)

Whitney Clavin
Jet Propulsion Laboratory, Pasadena, Calif.
(Phone: 818/648-9734)

August 26, 2004
NOTE TO EDITORS : N04-122a

Major Extra-Solar Discovery Announcement Scheduled August 31

A team of planet-hunters will announce their discovery of a new class of planets beyond our solar system at a NASA Science Update at 1 p.m. EDT on Tuesday, August 31. Their discovery represents a significant and much-anticipated advance in the hunt for extra-solar planets.

posted on Aug, 27 2004 @ 10:04 AM
link   
Interesting, although it seems like they have already announced what they have found if we know what it is. Hopefully they will thell us more information than that link does. Thanks!

posted on Aug, 27 2004 @ 10:13 AM
link   
A new class of planets? I can't wait to see what that means. Like a type of planet with a as yet unknown structure? DAMMIT, JUST TELL ME! ARGH!!

posted on Aug, 27 2004 @ 10:16 AM
link   
I think that they just mean that they are going to officially, ceremonially announce the discovery of that 'super earth' extremely large -rocky- planet, whereas most other extrasolar planets are gas giants. Althought, there were I think three other rocky planets discovered before this one, but they rotate about a neutron star, so maybe thats a class in itself somehow.

[edit on 27-8-2004 by Nygdan]

posted on Aug, 27 2004 @ 10:21 AM
link   

Originally posted by Nygdan
I think that they just mean that they are going to officially, ceremonially announce the discovery of that 'super earth' extremely large -rocky- planet, whereas most other extrasolar planets are gas giants.

yeah, that's what i'm expecting it to be. we've never found a rocky planet that large before, and i even think that a rocky planet that size was previously deemed impossible.

posted on Aug, 27 2004 @ 10:37 AM
link   

yeah, that's what i'm expecting it to be. we've never found a rocky planet that large before, and i even think that a rocky planet that size was previously deemed impossible.

That would kinda' suck, as we already know about that one. Cool, yes but I'm hoping for something more.

posted on Aug, 27 2004 @ 12:00 PM
link   
Damn i hate this Super-earth story i thought they was going to announce something never heard before! Does anyone know if NASA announced the super-earth already anywhere? Or is the news from other sources? If NASA has not already annouced it then this is probably what they will say, but give us more details more than likely.
It always strikes me as strange how everyone else knows the new discovery then NASA announces it a week or two later, or even months later (like the meteor that skimmed past earth in march)
I take it the reason they do this is because they like to get definate answers in more detail, yeh?

E_T

posted on Aug, 27 2004 @ 02:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by markjaxson
Damn i hate this Super-earth story i thought they was going to announce something never heard before!

Actually this is quite significant.
All previously known planets have been small earth sized rocks or gas giants.

posted on Aug, 27 2004 @ 04:06 PM
link   
Finally. I knew these super giants planets existed, but yet none had been discovered.

top topics

join