It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Quiltmaking, and reviving the "Lost Art" of staying warm.

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 10 2011 @ 07:27 PM
link   
I learned to quilt in of the "bees". It was mostly made up of family but it is a way to spread information. I still quilt but only use the machine for piecing. I hand quilt all of them. I have a large stash of quilts that my mom made. I'm slowly restoring them to give to my brothers. For various reasons they don't have any even though she made each child a quilt every Christmas.

Another one that I like to make is a blue jean quilt. Cut the legs off of jeans, split the seam and sew them together to the size you want. Add backing and batting and then I usually do what we call tacking. I guess some would call it tying. You make really long stitches all the away across. Then cut in between and tie it off with a knot. Very quick to make and reasonably inexpensive since you are using old clothing. If the legs have a tear use a patch before you put it in the quilt. Adds character!

posted on Oct, 10 2011 @ 08:36 PM
link   
reply to post by TXTriker

There is the lady at work that got me started, that collects old jeans to make "Harley-Davidson" quilts from. She puts two in a 50/50 raffle every year.

Personally, denim is tough, and you go through a lot of size 16 needles.

posted on Oct, 10 2011 @ 09:11 PM
link   

edit on 10-10-2011 by dr_strangecraft because: (no reason given)

new topics

<< 1   >>

join