It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Evils of Religion

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 1 2011 @ 05:17 PM
link   
Source

"This cult has to be the most evil organisation I've ever encountered - children are exposed to graphic images of a near-naked man being tortured, and told that eating his flesh and drinking his blood are some kind of passport to paradise," says a shocked Chris Rooty, an undercover reporter who spent six months infiltrating a sinister religious movement which has been insinuating itself into every aspect of British life, including schools, social clubs and even the armed forces, in its relentless quest for converts. "Worse still, they encourage these same children to confess their 'sins' - which can include anything from supposedly impure thoughts to sexual experimentation - to the cult's priests, invariably older men, for their vicarious pleasure!" Indeed, Rooty strongly suspects that the priests derive some form of perverted sexual gratification from these confessions, fuelling their own warped fantasies of underage sex. "I have no doubt that they sit in those confessionals whacking off to those kids giving up their secrets," he says, although he admits that doesn't have any actual proof that this has ever occurred.

I love anything that shows the true colors of religion and I think this article is pretty good. I have never quite understood the thought process of 'believing' and although I was raised Catholic, I really never had any real idea what I was believing in.

As time progressed I started looking at the facts of religion and seeing that their holy city is made of gold, while all the children in the world are starving and dying of hunger, while their parent are dying of diseases is quite disturbing to say the least.

Then came the whole molestation charges brought up from all over the world and the fact that the church tried to cover it up, now thats crazy. These people that claim they are close to god are hurting young ones and destroying lives, but yet there is still people that follow that religion and think nothing of it.

Things need to change in this world and we need to stop letting religion have so much hold of it. I have no qualms about anyone believing what they want but when it starts to affect everything, and I do mean everything, from schools to politics that means it has gone to far. No matter what religion you are they are all fairy tales, and you may get upset at that, but there is a reason we tell a very similar story to god when your young, the only difference is his name is Santa Claus.

We need to take their power away as that is the only thing they have.

Any thoughts?

Pred...

posted on Oct, 1 2011 @ 05:19 PM
link   
0/10

Wow, so now Atheists have to blame God for the world's problems . . . original.

edit on 1-10-2011 by MasterGemini because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 1 2011 @ 05:22 PM
link   
have you gone to africa to feed those children. God is their last resort for our failures.

posted on Oct, 1 2011 @ 05:31 PM
link   
reply to post by predator0187

Those who purport to have faith of are course not always perfect, and a good deal of time don't live up to the faith they claim to have.

However, one must give credit where credit is due and acknowledge a lot of good has been done by people of faith as a result of their faith (Mother Theresa, Martin Luther King Jr., missionaries helping in third world countries to provide education on techniques to improve lives of locals as well as deliver food, medicine, and hope, as well as all sorts of support and outreach ministries on a range of fronts sharing the message of hope and love, and a host of other examples), as well as by people of various faiths for reasons not directly related to whatever faith they may have held (US founders, scientific founders, etc.).

Then one also must consider the examples of thriving atheistic paradises - they don't exist. The sad fact is that people are people, with many of the same desires and motivations regardless of professed faith in a good many cases, and left to themselves, we end up with shining examples like China, North Korea, communist Russia and so forth - with their active stances AGAINST religion, under some of the usual claims, they should have been wondrous...but it didn't work out as such.

Credit where credit is due - blame people for their failures, as well as not living up to what they claim to profess. Don't blame religion for something that will happen even if it didn't exist.

posted on Oct, 1 2011 @ 05:37 PM
link   
reply to post by Praetorius

People have been held in high regard by religious organizations themselves. We just believe their propaganda, and when anybody says anything about these 'great people' they are frowned upon and the hate that they say they don't have gets spewed.

I recommend this program on mother Teresa.

Nothing against religious people, they are just following, I hate religion. It makes people think they are helping by praying, hence the comment 'have you been there?' No, it costs me money, something that I don't have a ton of, unlike religions who are rolling in it, and paying no tax on it. Who take money, send missionaries and more bibles so these poor people have something to look forward to when they die of starvation and disease.

Pred...
edit on 1-10-2011 by predator0187 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 1 2011 @ 05:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by predator0187
reply to post by Praetorius

I hate religion.

Pred...
edit on 1-10-2011 by predator0187 because: (no reason given)

See, there you go following down the path of hated.

If you could only see how blind your hatred has made you.

posted on Oct, 1 2011 @ 05:43 PM
link   
So you're labelling all religions and religious people as exactly the same.
Well in that case - Stalin, Lenin, Trotsky = The biggest genocide in the history of mankind.
You must be a genocidal maniac too if that's your reasoning

posted on Oct, 1 2011 @ 05:47 PM
link   
reply to post by MasterGemini

No the hate came from the understanding of what religion has done to the world. Not 'god', religion, a few men that think they are higher than others. They have lied to people using stories from past religions and claiming as their own, they have held back the study of science on many occasions and put many people to death from not believing what they believe.

Spiritualism is different than being religious, some people believe in a higher power and do not contribute to the garbage known as organized religion.

Pred...

posted on Oct, 1 2011 @ 05:53 PM
link   
You dont even have an Atheist to see how Religion was and still is evil. Remember the inquisition? Or the Salem Witch Trials? ALL for the name of "God". And how Religion is stealing people's money even though they pay NO Taxes and already have a ton of money. RIGHT. Religion isnt evil.>_>

posted on Oct, 1 2011 @ 05:56 PM
link   
reply to post by Zeer0

One word: Stalin.

posted on Oct, 1 2011 @ 05:57 PM
link   
reply to post by Frontkjemper

Joseph Stalin?

posted on Oct, 1 2011 @ 06:02 PM
link   
If my child talked back to me for disciplining them, I would smack their mouth. Children don't get to talk back in my house, you can have your own opinion, and I'll listen, but at the end of the day it's my opinion that matters and factors into my decision.

Also, I'm an atheist and could care less who believes what. I'm not going to try and start a crusade based on religion... It seems counter intuitive.

posted on Oct, 1 2011 @ 06:04 PM
link   
Religion is a cancer to mankind.

Religious people with their delusions can make for dangerous individuals.

To believe in their level of nonsense, there is NO TELLING what a believer of that nonsense can do to others in society. PROOF of this can be found throughout history.

The "fruits" of the religious are of the most stinking rotten "fruits" one can be. "know them by their fruits..." as is written in their fairy tale book.

Bad fruits. Fruit cakes.

posted on Oct, 1 2011 @ 06:07 PM
link   

Thanks for the video, I've added to my favorites and will watch it sometime. We could likely quibble over any specific person, but I believe my point itself should be clear enough on that matter.

Nothing against religious people, they are just following, I hate religion. It makes people think they are helping by praying, hence the comment 'have you been there?' No, it costs me money, something that I don't have a ton of, unlike religions who are rolling in it, and paying no tax on it. Who take money, send missionaries and more bibles so these poor people have something to look forward to when they die of starvation and disease.

Pred...

I definitely understand where you're coming from, and can't fault you for the thought itself even if I feel it's somewhat mislead. As I say, credit where it is due and recognition of failures where they actually lie - in people themselves, generally. Some may perceive faults in religious faiths directly, but a fair view is also called for to recognize the positive points (in the limited example of christianity, the faith itself calls for humility, pacifism, taking care of those less fortunate, not elevating the self and instead being a servant, and not judging others as we have our own faults and they either stand or fall to their master - not us. It's just same so many of us who claim this faith don't actually seem to follow it) instead of only looking at the limits of what the followers can actually accomplish, or seeing the failures of those who call themselves such and attributing this to the faith.

And just so I'm not playing partiality, plenty of other faiths have their own beauties as well - I love the peace and all inclusiveness of buddhism, the righteousness of many classic jewish rabbis, and the examples of righteous warfare displayed by the muslims in the crusades as compared to what was honestly brutality and lack of control by the christian crusaders. We all have a lot to teach AND learn from one another, and I wish we could do it more often instead of standing too frequently on our differences...and non-believers fall into this equally also. By no means are all religious people good or all non-religious bad - far from it on both sides, it seems.

I'm sorry for your strong feelings on religion in general. Frankly, I don't like a good deal of what I see from it myself, but I also have to remember those primarily tend to be the failings of people merely latching on to a message and scapegoats to utilize an existing power structure for the mobilization of their own ambitions - and the faiths themselves get unfairly faulted all too often.

Take care, Pred.

posted on Oct, 1 2011 @ 07:12 PM
link   

One person you can claim atheism on? Do you want us to name all the religious people that have killed millions more?

Pred...

posted on Oct, 2 2011 @ 08:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by predator0187

One person you can claim atheism on? Do you want us to name all the religious people that have killed millions more?

Pred...

Millions more? OK, I wasn't going to go in for this sort of quibbling, but I'll bite. Let's see examples and tallies for both sides if someone here thinks one can clearly trump the other, and then let's analyze if any of the examples were acting according to their corresponding ideologies or if this was an example of human behavior above and beyond anything we can attribute to faith in this or that.
edit on 10/2/2011 by Praetorius because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 3 2011 @ 08:51 PM
link   

Don't be obtuse. You know damn well that atheists are equally as capable of pulling off genocide just like religious people are.

Why?

Because religion isn't a problem, we HUMANS are.

But nah, let's blame it on some idiots who thinks there's a man in the clouds pulling strings on this world, and not our own, cruel and sadistic tendencies which we have ingrained so deep within us. Yeah, nah, blaming it on religion is much more kosher.

edit on 3-10-2011 by Frontkjemper because: Fixed spelling mistake.

posted on Oct, 10 2011 @ 11:11 AM
link   
Religion is poison.

posted on Oct, 10 2011 @ 08:05 PM
link   
So some supporter spent 6 months undercover investigating this ' cult' and it has no name?? I checked the source and could find nothing. Hmmmmm. Strikes me as very odd. As do the ' findings'.
Sorry Pred.

ETA: OK, just went back to source and see the heading of the article...
Political Satire
News Parody
Surreal Humour.

'Nuff said.

edit on 10-10-2011 by annella because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 11 2011 @ 06:00 AM
link   
Religion isn't actually a problem, it is humans hatred that is real problem. There are plenty of good religious people who are spreading love. But unfortunately there are also a lot of religious fanatics whose behavior is extreme. The same goes for atheists. Religion can be used for both good and evil purposes.

Medical drugs can heal but when the dose is too big it can also kill.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join