It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Sexuality is not a choice, you don't choose your attractions

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 1 2011 @ 05:25 PM
link   
reply to post by PLASIFISK

Your question doesn't make any sense. Homosexuality being a choice or not is not predicated on the couple being able to breed or not.

posted on Oct, 1 2011 @ 05:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by GringoViejo
Whether its a choice or not has already been settled. If someone thought the world were flat it doesn't mean its worth discussing.

But if people were being placed into third class citizenship because they believe the world was round, then it definately WOULD be worth discussing.

See why this topic still needs discussed?

p.s. Yes, third class citizens as even those on death row can marry the pen pal of their dreams as long as it's the opposite sex.

posted on Oct, 1 2011 @ 05:40 PM
link   
reply to post by Nutter

No, their treatment needs to be discussed. Not whether or not its a choice.

So no, it doesn't need discussed, some people will hold idiotic views no matter how much you try to convince them otherwise. Gay people know its not a choice, anyone, like I said before, with a brain knows too. The discussion is pointless.

posted on Oct, 1 2011 @ 05:42 PM
link   

Your question doesn't make any sense. Homosexuality being a choice or not is not predicated on the couple being able to breed or not.

Wait....... So your saying if two same sex being get together, love and respect each other then can have sex and magicly make a child?! Well hows that work!

Now is where you say something mean, and prove to me that same sex persons can make a child!

Im waiting........

posted on Oct, 1 2011 @ 05:43 PM
link   
By a religious and scientific stand point being attracted to the same sex does not make sense is not enough for you? Scientifically, survival is the key to life. Gays can not do that. Religiously, procreation is the key, Gays can not do that. Lets all be gay and end the race?

posted on Oct, 1 2011 @ 05:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by PLASIFISK

Originally posted by DJDigitalGem

Originally posted by PLASIFISK
Ummmm how do homosexuals breed? Thats the only question i have every had. Besides that, to each its own. I just wonder how would same sex couples continue their blood line....? Thats the big question i have.

Answer: We don't. We adopt, care for, love, feed and clothe the children that you heterosexuals want to abuse and throw away. I have been with my lesbian partner for 11 years and we have 2 wonderful children who had a mother that was insane and strung out on drugs. Guess what? The kids are now happy, health, well adjusted and HETEROSEXUAL to the hilt.

Wow...... It was just a question i had! Did i offend you or something. Jeeez sorry for asking! I think im gonna leave this topic alone folks! I think the HOMOSEXUALS just want to use this thread to attack the HETEROSEXUALS.

In closing though, and aside from your attack on me, my question remains. How will you breed with out drug abusers, or anyone mentaly unfit to take care of a child? How?

You do realize that there are many heterosexual couples who naturally cannot have children because either the man or woman is infertile? Why is there a difference in your eyes between a heterosexual couple biologically incapable of having children and a homosexual one? As to the OP, it is most definitely not a choice, i never had to choose, i have always been attracted to woman, but i do think culture and environment can sometimes mould sexual preferences to a certain extent as well...some ancient cultures and their views on sexual acts between men is a good example.
edit on 1-10-2011 by Solomons because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 1 2011 @ 05:45 PM
link   
reply to post by GringoViejo

Put that way, I can agree.

Although, I still stand by the fact that some people discriminate against homosexuals because they feel it is a choice unlike skin color.

posted on Oct, 1 2011 @ 05:46 PM
link   

I'm waiting for your reading comprehension to improve.

Better yet, explain how being able to breed or would affect the sexual orientation.

Are you proposing that because they can't breed, that they choose their sexual orientation?

Either way, no your question still doesn't make any sense.
edit on 1-10-2011 by GringoViejo because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 1 2011 @ 05:55 PM
link   
reply to post by Nutter

Unfortunately, that's true.

Less time needs to be spent on giving them time to express their ignorance, and more time needs to be spent on "behavioral adjustment." But that's just my opinion.

posted on Oct, 1 2011 @ 06:03 PM
link   
Better yet, explain how being able to breed or would affect the sexual orientation.

The ability to create off spring is the only purpose we are here, there is scientific evidence to prove this.

posted on Oct, 1 2011 @ 06:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by getreadyalready

I'm not saying I'm a fan of pedophiles, but I am saying your argument is just as pertinent to them as it is to anyone else.

I believe we all have choices, and we all have certain fetishes. We are naturally born with a sex drive, but it isn't aimed in any certain direction. As we gain experiences during key developmental times (puberty mostly), then we learn fetish behaviors. Some men learn to be womanizers, some learn to be romantics, some learn to love older women, and some learn to love younger women, and some learn to love each other. Some men have no outlet whatsoever, and they learn to love shoes or watermelons, or old gym socks.

Whatever the case, there is no biological inclination as to what we have sex with, except for procreation which is necessarily heterosexual. Anything other than procreation is just a fetish. That includes regular heterosexual sex for fun. If there is no intention of creating a baby, then it is just part of a learned fetish.

I think your whole rationale falls flat.

Choices are thought based, physical attraction is largely a biologic response... The two processes even use completely different portions of the brain. Who you are attracted to is about as thought based as your favorite
color, perfume, food or song, it is not a process of logic which is the seat of choice.
edit on 1-10-2011 by mastahunta because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 1 2011 @ 06:07 PM
link   
reply to post by habfan1968

That doesn't mean homosexuality is a choice. Nor is it evidence of anything. Also, it's debatable as to whether or not that is our sole purpose. If so, why are you bothering to respond? Go get your groove on and let the adults talk.

You're confusing biological imperative with with sexual orientation.

Next.

posted on Oct, 1 2011 @ 06:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by DaveNorris
reply to post by Southern Guardian

your right, its not a choice but i dont think people are born gay or straight either. i beleive that everyone is born as a blank canvas, and the people we grow into our sexuality, our religous beleifs, our behavour ect is all a result of our personalities and life experiances

I went to kindergarden with several girly guys that later unveiled their gayness... Truth is I could tell they were gay
at 5 years old, they were gay before I met them.

posted on Oct, 1 2011 @ 06:13 PM
link   
reply to post by mastahunta

Fine.

Then by your rationale all attractions are perfectly natural. Why do we demonize certain types of sex? Why is homosexuality (or heterosexuality) any different than pedophilia?

Biologically, we are attracted to viable breeding mates. Men are attracted to females of breeding age with good hip to waist ratio, soft healthy hair, supple healthy skin, clear bright eyes, and good teeth. Women are attracted to dominant men with some evidence of their ability to handle things, whether it be muscle and beard stubble, or salt and pepper hair with a corvette and beachhouse. We are biologically programmed to seek out the best breeding mates.

Now "attraction" is something learned. I believe it is learned during puberty or before, but it isn't born into us.

If you believe we are pre-programmed to be attracted to certain things with no hope for change, then why do we put some people in jail, socially reject others, and give special considerations to others? If it is all natural it should all be equal.

posted on Oct, 1 2011 @ 06:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by getreadyalready

Fine.

Then by your rationale all attractions are perfectly natural. Why do we demonize certain types of sex? Why is homosexuality (or heterosexuality) any different than pedophilia?

We demonize pedophilia because human beings are not born to maturity, society recognizes that
the lack of maturity creates vulnerability.

Biologically, we are attracted to viable breeding mates.

Many people are, clearly gay men are not, biologically they are attracted to men.

Men are attracted to females of breeding age with good hip to waist ratio, soft healthy hair, supple healthy skin, clear bright eyes, and good teeth.

Many are, some are not, some get the creeps thinking about getting down with a foxy woman.

Women are attracted to dominant men with some evidence of their ability to handle things, whether it be muscle and beard stubble, or salt and pepper hair with a corvette and beachhouse. We are biologically programmed to seek out the best breeding mates.

Some women are not attracted to men at all, are you denying this???

Now "attraction" is something learned. I believe it is learned during puberty or before, but it isn't born into us.

attraction is not learned, that is silly... Did your parents teach you when to get a hard on? I did even know
about sex and I assure you my willy knew things my mind knew nothing about.

If you believe we are pre-programmed to be attracted to certain things with no hope for change, then why do we put some people in jail, socially reject others, and give special considerations to others? If it is all natural it should all be equal.

You are comparing pizza and ice hockey, I mean really???

Who taught you to be turned on by boobies?

Who taught a gay guy to not like boobies?

edit on 1-10-2011 by mastahunta because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 1 2011 @ 06:35 PM
link   

I'm waiting for your reading comprehension to improve.

Are you proposing that because they can't breed, that they choose their sexual orientation?

Either way, no your question still doesn't make any sense.

My reading comprehension is just fine, but thanks for the concern!

To answer your question posed to me reguarding sexual orientation and breeding.

If two same sex persons wanted to have a child they could not, correct? Correct, now as stated before they could adopt. Thats true and nothings wrong with that. Two loving protective parents is awsome! Be it heterasexual or homosexual.

Dont be so defensive. Im NOT attacking you. Im NOT attacking homosexuals. Just making a point that if it were a homosexual world we would go extinct. Or homosexuals would agree to only have sex with opposite sex genders to breed.

posted on Oct, 1 2011 @ 06:38 PM
link   

Point accepted, but it has absolutely no relevance.

And who's to say that they would agree to do so. I wouldn't have sex with a man if it were to save the human race, I'm not attracted to them. Why should it be any different for a gay man?

posted on Oct, 1 2011 @ 06:53 PM
link   

Point accepted, but it has absolutely no relevance.

And who's to say that they would agree to do so. I wouldn't have sex with a man if it were to save the human race, I'm not attracted to them. Why should it be any different for a gay man?

So you would let the human race perish if you were the only female left along with a single healthy male, you wouldnt breed with him? Wow. Something else is hidden behind your words. Im prohuman. I love all people, no matter color religion or sexual orientation. I have faith that we humans will get it right! And if it came down to me and another woman to be the last hope then so be it! I guess the natural outcome isnt 100% garunteed. Thats sad.
edit on 1-10-2011 by PLASIFISK because: By another woman i mean a woman im not attracted to.

posted on Oct, 1 2011 @ 06:53 PM
link   

It doesn't have to be "taught" to be "learned."

When I say learned, I mean at some point your willy came alive. It more than likely was at an age where you didn't have access to easy sex. Therefore you found an outlet. Maybe it was peaking in on your sister or neighbor, maybe it was your mom's high heels, maybe it was the Sear's Catalog, maybe it was a good female friend of yours that you both felt comfortable exploring with, or maybe it was a good male friend of yours? What matters is that at some point, you "learned" an outlet for your sexual urges. Along the way you likely learned more and more outlets. You became attracted to the outlets available to you. It wasn't biological. Only the initial urge was biological. Your particular outlet was learned based upon availability.

Ever here of "prison gay" or "navy gay?" Those men are not gay, except in an all-male environment, and then a pecking order develops between dominant male and submissive male.

Women are unfortunately oft-abused, and therefore many girls learn to despise male attention at a very young age. Other women simply have abilities that are more in line with male abilities in sports, or fighting, or in the way they think. I personally know at least 3 women who were very close to me that became lesbians based upon other's perceptions of them, not what they necessarily believed of themselves. I know for certain all 3 were attracted to men, but because they were athletic and straight-forward and assertive around people, they were viewed as lesbians, and when surrounded by a lot of other lesbians in college sports, they finally transitioned completely. It definitely wasn't biological.

posted on Oct, 1 2011 @ 06:56 PM
link   
One thing I always say to those who say it is a choice.

I ask them to please sit down and share with us, the time in their child hood they decided to sit down, and choose which gender they would be attracted to. To explain how they went about weighing the pro's and con's of each choice and how they came up with their ultimate decision.

Not one has been able to do so.... Why? because they did not choose.... It just happened...

Well, it is that way with gay people to. They do not choose to be gay. They just are.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join