It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Rocker with a mind.

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 30 2004 @ 01:36 PM
link   
Jazzman, I didn't say "treason" in fact Alice Cooper did use the word treason in the article I read. He said it was treason to Rock and Roll, not to our country. I'm not a rocker, I don't listen to his music, I just find it funny that when someone comes out and say's he's a moron and no one should listen to him on who to vote for, that we should make up are own minds and not be fooled by the "entertainers," he's attacked and not a real musician. Did not mean to sound like an attack on you, I was just trying to point out that thier are two sides to every coin.

posted on Aug, 30 2004 @ 02:02 PM
link   
Hey go Alice, he's right rock stars are supposed to rock not preach politics. Who would want to go see the Stones or Ozzy Osburne and listen to them preach politcs. I don't care if they are preaching for the right or left, rock starts sing not preach. They can do it, but thats not their priority.

And RANT, I saw Manson in a interview and he is a good conversationist, which suprised me. I can't stand him but I have to give him that he does a good interview.

He does not call them treasonous to America. Here's the qoute.

"I call it treason against rock 'n' roll because rock is the antithesis of politics. Rock should never be in bed with politics."

And he's right on that.

Even funnier I am listening to Cooper as I type this.

[edit on 8-30-2004 by JediMaster]

posted on Aug, 30 2004 @ 02:10 PM
link   
JediMaster...

So, Rock musicians should not tell others how they feel? Hmmm...kind of defeats the purpose of the music being personal to them now doesn't it? I guess all the musicians that preached out against Vietnam were wrong as well...

I know, lets tell all musicians that they are not allowed to add their own feelings and personal beliefs into their songs...that would fix it!

PS- Has Alice Cooper ever read the Constitution? Perhaps he missed the 1st Amendment per chance...

posted on Aug, 30 2004 @ 02:23 PM
link   
What I need to say to most is listen to the lyrics. If you think people like ozzy are not political then listen to the lyrics. How about Dylan or Lennon? 2 great musicians, one assinated for thier views. Music of all forms dating back to gregorian chant are political in nature. Music had been used though out the years to inform and sing about politics, current events and sociatal(sp) problems.

Music is also used against the issues as well. Music pushes propaganda and helps the elite. Take Britaney Spears. What good is she? She tells my 5 year old neice that it is ok to look like a slut at 16 years of age.

But this is music. Plain and simple. There is 2 sides to everything. I am not going to say one is right more than the others but this is how it is. You as a person does not need anyone to tell you what to do or who to vote for. I am sure people can figure that out for themselves. I will say that I prefer a musician that is educated on the society they live & interact with and prefer them to sing about real issues. And I am not talking about issues like "how long her legs are or how many people I killed with my 9mm or wardrobe malfunctions".

Everybody needs to stop putting each other down. Everyone is entitled to thier own opinion. I hope the mods are speaking up about some of the comments. Remember, Deny Ignorance.

posted on Aug, 30 2004 @ 02:34 PM
link   
Hey I'm talking about the shows here, who the hell wants to go to a concert and instead of performing they preach politics? I don't care if they say they support Kerry in an interview just not on the stage. When you book a concert, you are paying them to Entertain not talk politics.

This is a simple matter of the concerts not what they do in their own time. Personally I think entertainers should stay out of politics and just entertain us. If they want to give up performing like Arnold did and run for office, let them, but I and others should not have to pay or watch a band preach instead of sing.

If rockers such as Mick Jagger,Ozzy Osburne,Gene Simmons,Dee Snider,Axl Rose etc brought politics onto the stage 20, 30 years ago they would not be the huge sucsess that they were.

posted on Aug, 30 2004 @ 02:42 PM
link   
Jedi...its their concert though. Everytime you even listen to a single lyric that has political context in it, it is the same as them coming right out and saying it. If you were in their position where you have thousands of people listening to your words and music, would you not speak your mind? Don't tell me that you wouldn't...you do on here, and probably in "real" life as well. Simple fact is that they are allowed to if they want, and if you don't like it then quit going to their concerts...its really as simple as that!

posted on Aug, 30 2004 @ 02:55 PM
link   
I never say that can't but it may be their concert and they can do whatever they want in it, have props whatever. The thing is that rock was anti-politcal in the old days with the exception of the pyschadelic arists and John Lennon who was a great performer. But they did not do it like they do today. They would write a song with a poltical background and just promote it.

The point of a concert is to be entertained not be preached that is what I am trying to get across, I don't mind them being political outiside of a show but a concert should not be a place for preaching. They can write songs abot politics and society and perform them, thats fine but tits differnt when they stop and preach.

Here's an example, "Crazy Train" by Ozzy has pro-peace lyrics and is somwhat political and I really enjoy the song, but Ozzy never stopped during a show to preach he just performed.

posted on Aug, 30 2004 @ 02:59 PM
link   
Maybe it's just a matter of perception, but my opinion of "rockers" was that they were uninterested or indifferent to politics - anti-establishment altogether. At least that's what comes to mind when I think of the Sex Pistols, Rolling Stones, GnR. Those who were interested in causes or politics weren't really considered "rockers" ( Joan Baez, John Lennon, etc)

So my take on Cooper's comments is that he was stating that "rockers with political awareness" was an oxymoron. It's just too bad he didn't also mention that one of the father's of this movement was Ted Nugent (a die hard republican).

posted on Aug, 30 2004 @ 03:16 PM
link   
Ok Bleys brought that point up, the peace singers were'nt really rock thats my mistake. Lennon was his own brand. The rockers were the ones who were getting drunk having sex and having a good time and not caring about the hardships of politics. Just imagine if The Ramones stopped being punk and went political, or if KISS went political.

A while back Gene made a comment about Arabs in an interview that was political and he was backlashed, but imagine if he did that during a show.

posted on Aug, 30 2004 @ 03:30 PM
link   
Not saying that I am a fan but what about Rage Against the Machine or Skinny Puppy? Every song is politicle as well as thier shows.

posted on Aug, 30 2004 @ 03:34 PM
link   
They went into rock to preach and that was their style. Most rockers did not go into rock to make a statement, they did it for the girls, the money and the fame. Mick Jagger and Jimmy Page sure did'nt get into rock to make a political statement.

posted on Aug, 30 2004 @ 03:34 PM
link   
Just to add something. Rock music is not determined so by lyrical content, but by timing, timbre, form, etc. Just because a musician has a political stance/no political stance does not fit them into seperate genre's. If someone like John Lennon, etc. still follows Rock chord progressions and/or scales, form, etc. then they are still part of that genre'. Its a tad off topic, but I just wanted to make that clear.

posted on Aug, 31 2004 @ 10:56 AM
link   
Here you go, how about Woodstock? How about all those rockers that performed at woodstock? Where do you think cooper would rank them? Apparently, he must not be a fan of that concert.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join