It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Obama's Accomplishments

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 1 2011 @ 01:33 PM
link   
Okay, I am not a big fan of Obama, or any politician these days, especially because of the czars with conflicted interests appointed to spefic positions of power.
After Awlaki's death, I started recalling how so many said Obama was 'soft' and would make us look weak as a country. I saw a news bit that highlighted Obama's military success since taking office and imo, he is anything but soft , and he has achieved significant military goals. Let's examine his stance of force for a moment:

Somalia Pirates - en.rian.ru...
Gadahfi - www.reuters.com...
Killing Osama -www.cbsnews.com...
Killing Awlaki (Fox news still calls Pres 'weak')
-thecaucus.blogs.nytimes.com...

MILITARY AND NATIONAL SECURITY
Broad Policy:
Began restructuring the military to reflect present day threats and technology.
Recommitted the U.S. to a policy of “no torture” and full compliance with the Geneva Conventions.
All servicepeople receive education in a region’s culture and language before deployment there (a soldier said this on Maddow).
Supported the Repeal of Don’t Ask Don’t Tell (DADT).
Ended the previous stop-loss policy that kept soldiers in Iraq/Afghanistan longer than their enlistment date.
Established new cyber security office.
Defense Production Act Reauthorization of 2009.
Weapons Systems Acquisition Reform Act.
Nuclear Forensics and Attribution Act.
FUNDING:
Cut the missile defense program by $1.4 billion in 2010.
Eliminated F-22 fighter jet program after lobbying Senate vote to strip financing for more jets from a defense funding authorization bill.
Canceled contract for new Presidential helicopter fleet (28 helicopters, $11.2 billion).
$1.1 Billion for improving airport security.
Increased pay and benefits for military personnel.
BY REGION/THEATER:
AF Changed the failing/status quo military command in Afghanistan.
AF Set troop pullout in Afghanistan to begin in summer 2011.
AF Established Afghan War policy that limits aerial bombing, prioritizes aid
AF infrastructure, diplomacy, and good government practices. ref
AF Ordered military to withdraw fast food establishments from Afghan bases.
IQ Ended combat mission (remaining personnel are nonagressive) 8/18/10
SOM Increased US Navy patrols off Somali coast.
SOM Ordered SEAL operation that resulted in killing of three terrorists and the release of US captain held by Somali pirates. ref
Closed secret detention facilities in Eastern Europe and elsewhere.
Opened door to space arms treaty.
Restarted the nuclear nonproliferation talks, building back up the nuclear inspection infrastructure/protocols.
Executive Order Optimizing the Security of Biological Select Agents and Toxins in the US.
Caught more Taliban Leaders in one month than Bush/Cheney did in six years.
Negotiated nuclear arms agreements with Australia (5/5/2010), India (5/4/2010), and Russia (5/10/2010)

MILITARY VETERANS AND FAMILIES
Broad Policies:
Initiated a new policy to promote federal hiring of military spouses.
Improved benefits for veterans.
Interagency Task Force on Veterans Small Business Development .
Worked to clear the backlog of veterans claims and streamline benefits to those who served.
FUNDING:
Provided for the expenses of families of to be at Dover AFB when fallen soldiers arrive.
Donated 250K of Nobel prize money to Fisher House.
Veterans Health Care Budget Reform and Transparency Act of 2009.
Veterans’ Compensation Cost-of-Living Adjustment Act of 2009.
TARGETED ACTIONS:
Medal of Honor Commemorative Coin Act of 2009.
Promoted a bill to award a Congressional Gold Medal to the Women Airforce Service Pilots (“WASP”).
Ended media blackout on war casualties; reporting full information.
Military Spouses Residency Relief Act.
Improved basic housing allowance for military personnel.
Caregivers and Veterans Omnibus Health Services Act of 2010.
Provided minimum essential health care coverage by Veteran’s Affairs.
Authorized construction/opening of additional health centers to care for veterans.
Korean War Veterans Recognition Act.
Blinded Veterans Association.
Major Charles R. Soltes, Jr., O.D. Department of Veterans Affairs Blind Rehabilitation Center.
Improved access for Veterans to receive PTSD treatment.
Green Vet Initiative to promote environmental jobs for veterans.f

ECONOMY
Broad Policy:
The American Recovery and Reinvestment Act of 2009 (ARRA): a $789 billion economic stimulus plan.
US auto industry rescue plan.
Start-Up activity now higher than it was during the dotcom boom.
Created task force to fight deficit.
Worker, Homeownership, and Business Assistance Act of 2009.
Temporary extension of programs under the Small Business Act and the Small Business Investment Act of 1958.
FUNDING:
Increased minority access to capital.
$26 billion aid to states package (Aug 2010).
TARGETED ACTIONS:
Raised the small business investment limit to $250,000 through the end of 2009.
Created an Advanced Manufacturing Fund to invest in peer-reviewed manufacturing processes.
Improper Payments Elimination and Recovery Act – establishes a Federal “Do Not Pay” list.
Extended and indexed the 2007 Alternative Minimum Tax patch.
Adopted Economic Substance tax doctrine.
Extended unemployment insurance benefits and temporarily suspend taxes on these benefits.
Economy grew 5.9% in 4th quarter.
U.S. Economy: Manufacturing grew by most since 2004.
U.S. GDP up 3.2% in first quarter.
Consumer spending showed biggest rise in 3 years.
Orders for most durable goods rose.
Wholesale inventories and sales rose in March.
$26 billion state aid bill triggered a surge of private municipal investment.
EXHIBITS – THE STIMULUS ONE YEAR LATER:
Success of the stimulus–how do you illustrate ‘could have been worse’?
Distribution of ARRA funds by year.
Need for financial education: Investors who act on their own do worse than T-bills; market timers earn negative returns.
Consumer debt patterns (revolving and non-revolving) through end of 2009.
Growth of the national debt from 2000-2009.
Bar chart showing increases in national debt by President (since Carter).
Pie chart: 2009 annual deficit contrasting large Bush tax cuts and relatively small ARRA.
THE LEGACY: AUGUST 2010
The Economy Has Been Growing – seasonally adjusted change in GDP by quarter 2007-2010.
The Private Sector Has Begun to Add Jobs – Monthly change in nonfarm employment 2008-2010.
GDP would have been lower without the Recovery Act (2007-2013 projection) (scroll down to Part III to see chart).
Unemployment would have been higher without ARRA (2008-2010).
The gap between actual and full-employment GDP would have been much larger without TARP and ARRA (2008-2010).

I don't know, this site SOURCE, with references, made me stop and think,(and PLEASE read through all the accomplishments before commenting, in fairness yo) when applying objectivity, and considering the unprecednted challenges he faced from day one, it appears to me, Obama should be given some credit, no? Can we do that without saying we are liberal, conservative, etc
Should we be grateful to any degree, considering of course, that this is politics?
I don't know, I just thought the sourced site was revealing, and covered much more than a sound bite.
edit on 1-10-2011 by speculativeoptimist because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 1 2011 @ 01:46 PM
link   
S&F - great post.

Unfortunately, be ready for the GOP/Tea Party trolls to find *something* to nitpick. He can do no good in their eyes, even if he's doing what their own leadership would do while in power.

posted on Oct, 1 2011 @ 01:52 PM
link   
reply to post by speculativeoptimist

As I have stated in other posts dealing with America presidents, I am a Canadian outsider and speak as such.
Obama inherited one huge mess when he took office. That he has been able to accomplish what he has , given the present congress, is quite a feat. Personnaly I would like to see him get a 2nd term (and I don't even really like him that much) just to see what he could do with a cleaner slate. After a full 8 years then he can be compared against others and judged appropriatly. And I do agree he deserves some credit.

posted on Oct, 1 2011 @ 01:52 PM
link   
reply to post by negativenihil

I hear ya man, and it is sad that so many get their info from media sources that, between segmented sound bites, lop-sided punditry, and downright mis-info, one can hardly get the full spectrum of details and facts. I realize too that some of this stuff can be picked apart, but overall, that link provides some impressive and prolific accomplishments, imho.

Peace,
spec

posted on Oct, 1 2011 @ 01:56 PM
link   
You read that list and see "accomplishments"; I read that list and see many abominations.

posted on Oct, 1 2011 @ 01:58 PM
link   
reply to post by halffinger4

Yes, he did start at a very tough place, and without pointing fingers and blaming, let's just say, it was 'unprecedented.' There is no way one person can please everyone, so they have to apply their abilities best they can, and do what they think is right for the country. Does he have faults? Of course, and we know that the scene is somewhat a marionette's display, but still, if there is any altruism at all in politics, many of these efforts could qualify, imo.
Thanks for the comment.

spec

posted on Oct, 1 2011 @ 02:00 PM
link   
reply to post by DarthMuerte

You read that list and see "accomplishments"; I read that list and see many abominations.

Fair enough, any ones in particular? And, weighed out overall(the entire sourced info) is it overall an abomination in your opinion? Just curious.

spec

posted on Oct, 1 2011 @ 02:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by DarthMuerte

In other words... You'd be happy if everything on that list were the exact opposite.

You serve your masters well!

posted on Oct, 1 2011 @ 02:23 PM
link   
Ok, reading from your list:
Somali Pirates: They have been dealt with way before Obama, and still are being dealt with accordingly.
Gadhafi: That is a NATO operation, for what reasons I am still unclear of it.
Killing Osama: Where is he at? Why do they fail to release photos of the body til this day? Probably because Osama is still alive, but hell,taking credit for it is always a boost of morale for the people, especially if you’re trying to get re-elected.
Killing Awlaki: Photos? Any proof that this guy ever existed under that name?

I believe that there is a bunch of malarkey that happened while he has been president. Not as bad as Bush though, but more of taking the credit for things that never happened or have been mitigated before in the past like Somali pirates for example.

posted on Oct, 1 2011 @ 02:24 PM
link   

Obama is not wrong, nor is he evil 100% of the time.

Just mostly. Hence my disdain for him and his policies.

posted on Oct, 1 2011 @ 02:28 PM
link   
reply to post by KonquestAbySS

So you don't think the sniping of Somalia pirates had any influence on their future actions? It was a heavy message no? I see your point too in that the entire arena of politics could be considered a dog and pony show, but still, after reading all the items from the linked source, maybe he should be given a little credit?

spec

posted on Oct, 1 2011 @ 02:31 PM
link   
reply to post by beezzer

Wow Beez, I'll take that, and thanks for an opinion. Like I said, I'm not a fan of any of em anymore, but I just think the outright total condemnation from most media sources is unfair and unjust, and this list shows how much more substance is involved than what is displayed in sound bite punditry.

Peace,
spec

posted on Oct, 1 2011 @ 02:33 PM
link   

However; everything you mentioned is an international issue. What did he do here in the States that is worth him receiving credit for? Didn't he get a Nobel peace prize before he did all those things you mentioned on that list?

posted on Oct, 1 2011 @ 02:33 PM
link   

posted on Oct, 1 2011 @ 02:35 PM
link   
reply to post by KonquestAbySS

You did read the entire list HERE, not just what I could fit in the post?
I think it says a lot...

posted on Oct, 1 2011 @ 02:35 PM
link   

"Recommitted the U.S. to a policy of “no torture” and full compliance with the Geneva Conventions."

Right after he "assassinated" a terrorist.

posted on Oct, 1 2011 @ 02:39 PM
link   
deal with it

we are just holding the current potus to the same standards they set for the last potus.

obamas greatest accomplishment the on going destruction of this country.

next up class warfare

next up the blame game

posted on Oct, 1 2011 @ 02:39 PM
link   
reply to post by sonnny1

Good point sonnny1, and he would have been condemned either way. If he would have wanted a trial, then he would get chastised for 'showing weakness.' It is a weird game, with plenty of hypocrisy, but I just wanted to bring more details to the picture for a more sincere assessment. I personally am for trials, not torture or assassination, for the record. And the Osama thing still leaves me wondering about the OS, guess we'll never know.

spec

posted on Oct, 1 2011 @ 02:41 PM
link   
reply to post by neo96

deal with it

uhhh, okay, I don't have a choice right now anyway, so I think 'dealing with it' is what I am doing.
Thanks

posted on Oct, 1 2011 @ 02:44 PM
link   

Hes not all to blame.Problem is he "promised" so much,just to get elected,and hasnt done the job of fixing the mess the last Administration got us into.To top it off,hes campaigning again,which drives me nuts. I dont even mind hes protecting America,from terrorists,but fix the economy first.

<<   2  3 >>

join