It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Hairy, Crazy Ants Invade from Texas to Miss.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 1 2011 @ 12:49 PM
link   
The first I have heard of of this type of ant, but they certainly seem to be something to be aware of down south, have any of our members from the south had the unfortunate experience of dealing with these little creatures?

www.heraldtribune.com

It sounds like a horror movie: Biting ants invade by the millions. A camper's metal walls bulge from the pressure of ants nesting behind them. A circle of poison stops them for only a day, and then a fresh horde shows up, bringing babies. Stand in the yard, and in seconds ants cover your shoes.

It's an extreme example of what can happen when the ants - which also can disable huge industrial plants - go unchecked. Controlling them can cost thousands of dollars. But the story is real, told by someone who's been studying ants for a decade.

"Months later, I could close my eyes and see them moving," said Joe MacGown, who curates the ant, mosquito and scarab collections at the Mississippi State Entomological Museum at Mississippi State University.

posted on Oct, 1 2011 @ 12:54 PM
link   
When I first read this I was like...okay fire ants are everywhere down here in the south. Then I read the whole article and apparently the 'crazy ants' are destroying the fire ants. Yikes!!

The hairy crazy ants do wipe out one pest - fire ants - but that's cold comfort. "I prefer fire ants to these," MacGown said. "I can avoid a fire ant colony."

Another article on them...

Crazy Ants Invade Houston
edit on 1-10-2011 by iamhobo because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 1 2011 @ 04:11 PM
link   
I was just about to post this story myself but i was beaten to it by JacKatMtn , so ill just add my info

In 2009, we first discovered populations of Nylanderia pubens, the hairy crazy ant in Hancock County, Mississippi. By the following year, 2010, we had found it in at least 7 sites in Jackson County, MS. This exotic species is thought to be native to South America. Since 2000, it has become widespread in Florida, having been found in at least 20 counties, and in Texas, where it has been reported from 18 counties thus far. More recently, it has been reported from two parishes in Louisiana.

And they're on the move in Florida, Texas, Mississippi and Louisiana. In Texas, they've invaded homes and industrial complexes, urban areas and rural areas. They travel in cargo containers, hay bales, potted plants, motorcycles and moving vans. They overwhelm beehives - one Texas beekeeper was losing 100 a year in 2009. They short out industrial equipment.

If one gets electrocuted, its death releases a chemical cue to attack a threat to the colony, said Roger Gold, an entomology professor at Texas A&M.

"The other ants rush in. Before long, you have a ball of ants," he said.

Ive never seen ants move so fast

edit on 1-10-2011 by PhoenixOD because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 1 2011 @ 04:53 PM
link   
those ants have been in my area of texas for about a year now and they are honestly very creepy

posted on Oct, 1 2011 @ 04:56 PM
link   
I think they're a Rockefeller black op creation. They're not the only thing we have to worry about either.

posted on Oct, 1 2011 @ 06:05 PM
link   
reply to post by JacKatMtn

Just what we need a new species of fire ants
God I was bitten the other day by fire ants,the pain was so sever I wanted to cut off my foot.It seem like it gets worse every time I'm bitten.Animals and people alike have been killed by these creatures.Years ago,I believe in the 80's a child at daycare was attacked by ants and sadly died from the bites.I know they must serve a purpose in the grand scheme of things,but if I had a choice to eliminate one species,fire ants would be the ones to go...I think this world would do just fine without them.

posted on Oct, 1 2011 @ 06:23 PM
link   
I found a better picture of this ant (Paratrechina longicornis).

Thats pretty ugly..

The longhorn crazy ant, Paratrechina longicornis, is a species of ant. The ants are named because instead of following straight lines, they dash along erratically. They do not bite or sting people. Longhorn crazy ants are able to reproduce with their siblings without any negative effects of inbreeding. This has allowed them to become one of the most widespread invasive ants in the tropics.[1] The queen produces daughters which are her genetic clone, and sons that are the genetic clone of her mate. This is known as double clone. This was discovered by evolutionary biologist Morgan Pearcy of the Université Libre de Bruxelles.

Source Wiki

-Coloration: grayish black
-Body 1/8 inch in length (monomorphic)
-Body has numerous long coarse hairs
-Workers have long legs and antennae
-Workers have 12-segmented antennae with no club
-Small circle of hair present at tip of the abdomen

The life history of this species is poorly known. Crazy ant colonies tend to be small to moderately sized, containing as many as 2,000 workers and 40 queens. Mating flights have not been observed; colonies possibly split and form new colonies by budding. Crazy ants are highly adaptable in their nesting habits and can live in habitats that are very dry or relatively moist. Colonies are highly mobile and relocate when conditions become unfavorable. Outside, they nest in rotten wood, fallen tree limbs and logs, tree stumps, under stones, bricks and lumber. They often are found in the soil of potted plants. Numerous colonies may be found around plant roots in mulched plant beds. Queens, brood and attending worker ants often are found in curled leaves littering these plant beds. Inside, crazy ants often nest in wall voids and beneath floors, particularly near hot-water pipes and heaters.

Source Urban Entomology

edit on 1-10-2011 by PhoenixOD because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 1 2011 @ 06:54 PM
link   
That be one crazy ant, one I would NOT like to meet!
I wonder, do they know what has caused their expansion?
Is it a natural or advantageous expansion, are they possibly migrating?
Has a change in their biomes, local and surrounding, affected their preffered habitat?
Who's the cause, man or nature...

posted on Oct, 1 2011 @ 11:11 PM
link   

Things just get more and more interesting on our little planet, don't they?

S&F&

posted on Oct, 2 2011 @ 10:00 AM
link   
Hmmmm. If they don't bite; then what is the problem?
Ants play a role in the breakdown of dead plant material.
Just wondering. Can someone with personal experience explain?
thanks ...

posted on Oct, 2 2011 @ 10:05 AM
link   
Anyone remember this cinema classic from 1977?.........

posted on Oct, 2 2011 @ 10:29 AM
link   

We have some good and some silly crazy ant info going on in this thread over here:
www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Oct, 2 2011 @ 10:48 AM
link   
I remember When I was living in Texas in the 80's they had a problem with fire ants, Some guy on the local news came up with the idea of a metal disc with a battery inside it that you placed on top of the ant hill, when the ants came to see what it was, they got a little shock enough to mess up their antennas and they couldn't tell who was friend of foe. They showed them all attacking each other and it looked like a pretty good idea. I don't remember if the guy every patented it and got it on the market though.

new topics

top topics

join