It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Annoying ads on ATS that cover the tabs at the top of the page and don't allow you to click on the

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 1 2011 @ 12:14 PM
link   
Since there is no membership fees to join this forum, I know ads are important to keep the forum running. I can deal with the Gigantic ads on the sides and in the middle of the pages, but I just find it a little annoying when the ads cover the tabs at the top of the page for "Home, New topics, Hot topics, myATS, etc" and there is no option to close the ad so you can click on the tab behind it. I found that one way around this is to click back on your browser until you get to a page where there was no ad or click refresh. I don't think covering parts of the page where we are supposed to click on in order to navigate within the site will generate more revenue, if anything it might piss people off and have them stop coming on here.

Anybody else notice this ? it just started happening recently, maybe within the past week or so and it's a little annoying ?

posted on Oct, 1 2011 @ 12:25 PM
link   
Agreed. If this continues, I will likely gravitate to one of the other sites.
Ads -OK
Ads that stop you from being able to navigate a site? Good way to get people to stop visiting the site

posted on Oct, 1 2011 @ 12:27 PM
link   
I just noticed the ads this morning. I thought my browser wasn't rendering the page properly. Good to know it's just a terrible marketing ploy.

posted on Oct, 1 2011 @ 12:32 PM
link   
upgrade the security of your -browser- specifically, and those should no longer be a problem.

if you have no idea what im talking about google ad blockers, or tracker blockers.

personally I use FF and an addon called ghostery, which is an amazing lil' gadget that helped me realise the extent of google and facebooks policies on their 'customers'.

anyway yea do that.

ed: ats runs on revenue from advertisement, try to leave the legit ones up if you can and know how.
edit on 1/10/2011 by whatsinaname because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 1 2011 @ 12:36 PM
link   
Also now the stupid walmart ad will open up it own page now on my computer many times in a day.

////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

posted on Oct, 1 2011 @ 12:38 PM
link   
This happens once in awhile to me. The tabs will jerk to the left as the ad appears. It's difficult to get to the tabs, but it can be done with some patience. Just move the mouse or whatever (I have a touchpad) slowly to the bottom of the tabs and follow them over to the left where you can then click on the right one.

It's a minor annoyance that doesn't happen very often. I can't imagine someone leaving this site because of something like that.

posted on Oct, 1 2011 @ 12:40 PM
link   
click refresh... solves the problem...

the ads have been worse actually....

www.abovetopsecret.com...

edit on 1-10-2011 by Akragon because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 1 2011 @ 12:41 PM
link   
I would think that it might just be a small coding issue. Just let the mods know and I'm sure it will be corrected.
There would be no reason for it to be intentional imo.

posted on Oct, 1 2011 @ 12:46 PM
link   
Refresh the page and they go away. I find it a better alternative to closing said ads. Generally the little [x] is like clicking "okay" for spam and spyware. Refresh the page and you'll be able to navigate just fine.
However you will have to refresh EVERY FRACKIN' TIME YOU WANT TO LEAVE A THREAD.

I Agree though, it's a tedious pain in the ass, Mods. Best correct the issue before you leave way for your competitors to lure away your market.

posted on Oct, 1 2011 @ 12:49 PM
link   
I have noticed this, and it's particularly irritating when I am not even rolling over the advertisement at all and it enlarges to take up the whole screen and play a pretty little commercial. It happens over and over and over again.

posted on Oct, 1 2011 @ 01:24 PM
link   
i never saw any ads on here, maybe because i use greasemonkey ad blocker on firefox...............

posted on Oct, 1 2011 @ 02:04 PM
link   
You do know that ad blockers are a no no on ats. Its in the terms and conditions that we agreed to.

posted on Oct, 1 2011 @ 05:14 PM
link   
reply to post by bourbon2nite

its not on my IE that i use all the time though..........

posted on Oct, 1 2011 @ 06:54 PM
link   
Adblock plus, give it a try? I use it with firefox and get no Ads at all. Went back to internet explorer and the amount of adverts everywhere was silly.

posted on Oct, 1 2011 @ 07:15 PM
link   
I had a JetBlue ad pop up yesterday and blocked the ability to navigate... I am like the OP, I don't mind the Ads but when they interfere with your ability to navigate and have no way to close them... it is very irritating.

posted on Oct, 1 2011 @ 07:43 PM
link   
I just noticed this today as well, not sure why it's just now showing up. I find it irritating as well. Like others, I don't mind the ads, but having them block navigation tools is just plain rude. IMHO of course.

posted on Oct, 1 2011 @ 07:51 PM
link   
A helpful hint, do you see the sticky thread at the top of the board/business forum?

www.abovetopsecret.com...

There is a little more you can do about this, then start a thread in the rants forum...

posted on Oct, 1 2011 @ 08:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by bourbon2nite
You do know that ad blockers are a no no on ats. Its in the terms and conditions that we agreed to.

I'm sure most people don't have an ad blocking software if they don't have a need for it, but once you have ads get in the way of navigating through the site, then people might start getting annoyed and look for a solution...so these extra annoying ads that were put in place for extra revenue might backfire... IMO

Another thing, my computer internet connection is fast so the ads don't really slow me down, but whenever I try to use my phone, holy s#it it takes forever to get anywhere, so I try not to really use this site on my phone.

posted on Oct, 1 2011 @ 09:19 PM
link   
reply to post by taws6

Yes...it is annoying...It happened to me today...and there was not a (close section) on the ad....I had to (back-track) in order to get out of it!

I hope these ads are fixed...and don't continue as they are.

posted on Oct, 1 2011 @ 09:19 PM
link   
Well, I noticed this thread a few moments ago, before entering a different thread. I decided to then check out this thread. Got blocked by an ad. Did a few clicks and whistled a tune as I was waiting to get to here. Yep. Irritating for sure. I know the subjects I usually enjoy investigating. I can do that using google or just wait for interesting links to subjects to be sent to me by a friend of mine. I really don't need to visit ATS, so...........how about fixing this, ATS administrators?

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join