It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Awkward silence in earthquake activity

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 1 2011 @ 10:59 AM
link   
Ever since there was an EQ on the east coast of the US, I find myself checking USGS on a regular basis. In the first 3 weeks of September there were 16 Earthquakes with a magnitude of 6 or more and over the past 10 days there had not been any earthquakes with a magnitude of 6 or more, which I find a little strange, since we had a such an active first 3 weeks. On average we get 150 EQ per year that are 6 or more, so that's about one every 2.5 days. In the first 22 days of September we had a EQ of 6+ every 1.5 days, that's a little above average and over the past 10 days we had no earthquakes that were 6 or more.

This is post is not to scare anyone or predict anything and I'm not saying this is the calm before the "BIG ONE" I'm just simply stating a fact that we had a such an active first 3 weeks of September and now all of a sudden it got really quiet....maybe this is normal, just like we sometimes go a long time without rain, but I figured I would mention what I've noticed.

Here is the activity for Sept 1 2011 to Sept 22 2011 for EQ 6+
2011 09 01 6.0
2011 09 02 6.9
2011 09 02 6.7
2011 09 03 6.4
2011 09 03 7.0
2011 09 05 6.2
2011 09 05 6.7
2011 09 09 6.4
2011 09 14 6.0
2011 09 15 6.1
2011 09 15 6.1
2011 09 15 7.3
2011 09 16 6.7
2011 09 18 6.9
2011 09 18 6.9
2011 09 22 6.4

Here is the activity for Sept 23 2011 to Oct 1 2011 for EQ 6+

posted on Oct, 1 2011 @ 11:04 AM
link   
Because Elenin did the opposite effect and actually stoped Earthquakes.
See It was there to save us all along! And you feared It!

Seriously though, It could actually be a long wait until another one, by chance the plates might have a long "sleep"

posted on Oct, 1 2011 @ 11:06 AM
link   
the calm before the storm..

posted on Oct, 1 2011 @ 11:08 AM
link   
reply to post by taws6

Nothing unusual. It happens quite often

No it is not the calm before the storm Some areas get active Oct, Nov, Dec and others go quieter so there will be more any minute soon.

By the way the two 6.9 quakes on the 18th. One of those appears to be a BIG USGS blunder. The only record of that quake is by the Japanese Met Office and it was a 4.6. This 6.9 appeared 1 day ago in the 8-30 days list and was never in the 7 day listings. No one else has it, not EMSC, Potsdam or anyone else. Looks like a big computer boo-boo.

The seismo for that day: MAJO.IU.00.BHZ.2011.261 No 6.9

Plot for day The one around 1300, actually 12:40 is Sikim, the other 6.9.

edit on 1/10/2011 by PuterMan because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 1 2011 @ 11:09 AM
link   
I remember reading that annually there are only supposed to be about 180 Mag 6 earthquakes globally. Its logical to assume that they won't all happen every 2 days but in spurts.

posted on Oct, 1 2011 @ 11:38 AM
link   
reply to post by PuterMan

By the way the two 6.9 quakes on the 18th. One of those appears to be a BIG USGS blunder. The only record of that quake is by the Japanese Met Office and it was a 4.6. This 6.9 appeared 1 day ago in the 8-30 days list and was never in the 7 day listings. No one else has it, not EMSC, Potsdam or anyone else. Looks like a big computer boo-boo.

I can see human error having a factor in this..

Could it be possible that there are human errors , or deliberate attempts by humans to NOT include their data?

Just asking..have no idea how these places work..or how they get information out.

posted on Oct, 1 2011 @ 11:47 AM
link   
reply to post by gabby2011

No I really do believe this is a computer error. All of these listings are computer generated automatically I believe.

This quake did not happen but what I don't understand is how they have produced the details for it - but the telling this in that there is not Phase data. That is a sure sign that it did not happen. Additionally there are only historic tensor solutions which makes sense because if it did not happen you can't have a tensor solution!

posted on Oct, 1 2011 @ 11:51 AM
link   
reply to post by PuterMan

No I really do believe this is a computer error. All of these listings are computer generated automatically I believe.

ok..I see your points.

I guess I just think of computer error as being human error, because it is humans who created them, and run them.

posted on Oct, 1 2011 @ 12:01 PM
link   
I don't get it.....

When there are earthquakes everybody's screaming the the earth is gong to end and somethings wrong.

When there are no earthquakes people think there is something wrong too.

So either way people think somethings wrong?

posted on Oct, 1 2011 @ 03:40 PM
link   
Couple of things, in response and agreement to what has already been said:

1) USGS is anything but comprehensive. Check various world earthquake sites, and you'll find a whole host of earthquakes go unreported on USGS... and I don't just mean earthquakes outside the US below 4.5.

2) Earthquakes do occur more regularly in some months than others. I have no idea why this is, others might have theories or knowledge that I don't.

With those things said...
You're still correct in thinking that something big is around the corner. Scientists and seismologists have been stating as much for some time now. A number of major faults around the world are just waiting to become very active. The next few years will be very interesting.

posted on Oct, 1 2011 @ 03:44 PM
link   
i guess cuz earthquakes help 'blow off some steam" and relieve tension for a while

until it builds up again

ditto for voclanic activity - keeping the pipes working

posted on Oct, 4 2011 @ 09:43 PM
link   
everyone was predicting major earthquakes around 9/26/11, but to be on the lookout between 9/22/11 and 10/2/11....it's just funny how we are seeing the opposite effect, it's quietest it's been in a long time with almost 2 weeks without a 6+ magnitude earthquake.

posted on Oct, 5 2011 @ 01:27 AM
link   
reply to post by mwood

It's not so much that something is wrong, but it's more like keeping your fingers on the pulse on the planet. Earthquakes are normal occurrences as the planet "breathes." If you were to stop breathing, it would cause reason for concern. If you were hyperventilating, that is another reason for concern. It is best that the breathing is steady for optimal health. Wouldn't you agree? We all know Mother Earth is not healthy, and we've all heard the numerous prophecies that allude to major earthquakes. They do say it is like birthing pangs. Have you ever given birth? You don't just push push push..! Contractions have time between them, and as the birthing process progresses, contractions start getting closer and closer and stronger. Until finally it HURTS LIKE HELL and then its all over with and everyone is happy about the new birth. That is what its going to be like. No earthquakes is like the earth is taking in a deep deep breath, and about to make a big push. It is true that earthquakes are much lower than the norm at this time, and I do believe it is a reason for concern.

Namaste

top topics

join