It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

WARNING: The Planet's Trees may be Dying!

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 1 2011 @ 11:54 AM
link   
reply to post by watchdog8110

You know the articles you linked to are from 2007, right? Just asking.

posted on Oct, 1 2011 @ 11:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by foreshadower99
reply to post by loam

It's the 1st of October. Last year here at London it was so cold that
it started snowing about these times. Now since last week its been around
30*c EVERYDAY! WTF is going on!!!!!!!!

The answer is simple.. The jet stream which is most likely modulated by combination of la nina and solar activity.
This is also what was the reason for last few bitterly cold winters as well as the heat wave in russia and finland last two summers.
We have been enjoying indian summer here in norway for the last few days as well, but fall should hit for full again tomorrow according to forecasts.

posted on Oct, 1 2011 @ 12:00 PM
link   
reply to post by loam

maybe we can make robot trees in replace them... robot trees cannont die... and maybe you can have usb chargers in them too and they can be like solar panels and scrub carbon from the air and make energy........
I dont know were the ideas come sometimes....

edit on 1-10-2011 by purplemer because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 1 2011 @ 12:02 PM
link   
reply to post by purplemer

Originally posted by purplemer
maybe we can make robot trees in replace them... robot trees cannont die... and maybe you can have usb chargers in them too and they can be like solar panels and scrub carbon from the air and make energy........

And then we can do the same with people and other animals.

Then there would be no worries.

edit on 1-10-2011 by loam because: (no reason given)

link   
MSNBC's link titled "Forests across the world dying off as climate warms"
is where i'm assuming the OP received the thread's title.
The article pretty much describes what has already been said by the OP's post.

It is a fairly lengthy article with some "in-depth" information so to say.
Areas covered include: "Trees absorb vehicle emissions", "A very different world",
"Wealthy countries to pay?", "The carbon dioxide mystery", "Long-term carbon storage"
along with about 5-6 other topics along with the main story.

edit on 10/1/2011 by UnholyBones because: (no reason given)

edit on 10/1/2011 by UnholyBones because: Topics within the story

link   
I have trees in my front and backyards that are growing just fine and so are the trees in my neighborhood....so no, the planet's trees are just fine and are Living

posted on Oct, 1 2011 @ 12:07 PM
link   
This thread correlates nicely with my thread here:
www.abovetopsecret.com...

The article posted in my thread is well worth a read to anyone interested in this subject.

Thanks for the further info here appreciated.

posted on Oct, 1 2011 @ 12:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by loam
reply to post by purplemer

And then we can do the same with people and other animals.

Then there would be no worries.

That is a good idea... we could be biotechniqe beings and upgrade the cpu in our brain... When you can make a hollographic woods it will not matter if our woods are robot woods...
What will it matter anyway in a hundred years we can leave the planet and find millions of new woods on different planets...

posted on Oct, 1 2011 @ 12:08 PM
link   

posted on Oct, 1 2011 @ 12:09 PM
link   
reply to post by Goradd

Originally posted by Goradd
I have trees in my front and backyards that are growing just fine and so are the trees in my neighborhood....so no, the planet's trees are just fine and are Living

Well that's a relief.

I guess the hundreds of millions of acres of verified tree distress is meaningless, since all is A-OK in your yard.

posted on Oct, 1 2011 @ 12:12 PM
link   
reply to post by loam

It's life...nothing more, nothing less.

Things have changed throughout the eons. Hey! And guess what boys and girls?, we weren't always around to record them. Now we are.

So the quandry here is....what can we do about it? More pesticides or less? Less burning of fossil fuels...maybe more?

What can we do? That is the question.

posted on Oct, 1 2011 @ 12:19 PM
link   
reply to post by loam

Excellent thread loam... star and flag...

Sadly this thread will continue to be hit by the usual brainwashed comments by arrogant narcissistic fools. Little one line snipes and sarcastic comments with no scientific foundation.

The sad truth is that this materialistic society has made people forget what is TRULY important in this world. People prefer gadgets, gizmos and bling over nature. People see nature as a challenge that must be overcome... rather than trying to work alongside nature, and in harmony with it, they try to control, destroy and re-create. Sadly they will only realise the true value of the natural world when they discover that you cannot eat an I-Pod.

It always amazes me how people, such as myself, are labelled as "Eco-Nazis" when they are the ones who are unashamedly raping and pillaging this planet... Seriously... Who is the one behaving like a Nazi?!?!

Peace

posted on Oct, 1 2011 @ 12:45 PM
link   
reply to post by h3akalee

My education may be lacking but thirty years in the bush has more than taught me about trees dying.
I kind of reinvented salvage logging in British Columbia along with a few hundred other guys.
The Forests are dying!
This is NOT just ONE parasite or disease!
There are a number of issues confronting our boreal forests.
Ameliorelia ie root rot....
Fir bark beetles
Pine bark beetles
Spruce bud worm
hemlock louper moths
I could go on but you get the picture.........
There is reason to blame the large corporations for the spread of some of these problems, as well as very poor forest managment by Goverment Foresters, who, mostly work for the benefit of the industry, not the forests.
It is because of the upsurge of pests and pestilence that it was possible to initiate salvage operations as small or smaller than 300 m3, directly with the forest service, by citizens who applied.
This system worked well.....Progress was made against the pine beetles as well as other species, Blow down was addressed and areas of the interior forest were looking to get healthy for a while...
The old story then repeated itself.........................
Unfortunately, the corporate control of the Forest service eventually squeezed the small salvage loggers back out of the bush through legislations and fees which weredirected at discouaging the salvagers.
That this small industry was thriving,called far too much attention to the wasteful and downright vareless forest practice of the multinationals...
It gave the big guys too many black eyes.
It put money in SMALL BUSINESSMENS POCKETS.
It fed and employed fringe people in the society.(Country people)
World climate has indeed warmed.why
well, it aint Gore, its solar wide....all the planets are doing this.....
Perhaps the space cloud we are entering is an energy we are not yet familiar with, whos effects warm or accellerate the suns reactions.....who can say....not some has been democrat politician thats for sure.
Meantime we are in the middle of a great die off, how many times do you have to be reminded...............

posted on Oct, 1 2011 @ 12:49 PM
link   
i live in nyc suburbs area,

over the past couple years ive noticed more and more roadside(highway and interstate) plantations and established groves alike, of conifer/evergreen dying off, all of them in groups and groups.

wonder what it is, that makes it most/all seem conifer-specific!

www.time.com...

posted on Oct, 1 2011 @ 12:51 PM
link   
reply to post by loam

I researched distressed lumber a few years ago - there was a booming market in old wood because the lumber from new trees (1970 onward) was totally inferior. Not even the heart wood was solid.

S&F&

posted on Oct, 1 2011 @ 01:00 PM
link   
From the same article.

It is clear that the point of no return has not been reached yet — and it may never be. Despite the troubles of recent years, forests continue to take up a large amount of carbon, with some regions, including the Eastern United States, being especially important as global carbon absorbers.

posted on Oct, 1 2011 @ 01:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by pigwithoutawig
reply to post by watchdog8110

You know the articles you linked to are from 2007, right? Just asking.

Yup , and they did another burn this year . Traveling through what used to be all green forest now is spotty red and orange from the beetles . The progression you see from the road sides through the valleys has grown . Now what you could see from the air would be far more than from the roads .
edit on 1-10-2011 by watchdog8110 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 1 2011 @ 02:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by loam
reply to post by Goradd

Originally posted by Goradd

Well that's a relief.

I guess the hundreds of millions of acres of verified tree distress is meaningless, since all is A-OK in your yard.

If you actually bothered to do the research you would see that trees grow faster now and that the whole earth is actually more green thanks to increase in co2.
The planet was also greener, had less deserts and such back when co2 was in thousands of ppm range and when planet was globally warmer/less cold.

Climate changes always. Some areas get colder, some areas get more drought, other areas get warmer or wetter. This is just natural changes that has happened all throughout earths history.

Also co2 has very little to do with global temperatures and it is in fact temperatures that increase before co2 in MOST cases.

Even when earth was warmer than now it wasnt hotter in regions that are hot today like equator. The difference was that there was hardly any difference between winter or summers and that it was also sub tropical and liveable even in arctic regions. Equator regions seems to have been even a bit less warm than today.

Wake up and do your own research instead of being a sheep that blindly trust mainstream media and politicians.

posted on Oct, 1 2011 @ 02:34 PM
link   
Perhaps this is the change the Myans always wrote about, a new Earth cycle that brings us into a 'new world'.

posted on Oct, 1 2011 @ 03:07 PM
link   
reply to post by juleol

Hmm... maybe you should do more research using sources other than Lord Monkton and Friends of Science... Both of which use a combination of half truths, lies and psudo science, while being funded by oil companies.

To be honest i am tired of arguing with people who are agenda driven... The accusation that is normally aimed at us, so called, "eco-nazis" is that we are trying to control the word and impose taxes to make money. However, if you do you maths you will find that there is far more money to be made in the big oil companies than there is in green technologies. Oil companies are worth trillions and they have pumped us full of their propaganda for the last 30 odd years. It is them who have the most to lose and they will not go without a fight.

I don’t want to go any further into this because it will probably drag this thread off topic... People are so blind, they look out their windows and see that their lawn is still green and think "what’s the problem?" It’s sad that it is only when it is directly affecting them that they start to believe it.

We are losing our coral reefs at an alarming rate due to ocean acidification, Amphibians, Birds, Mammals are all in decline... Insects and Bees are disappearing, trees and plants are suffering... Yet people still chose to ignore it... "oh it’s all natural" "it’s all part of the cycle" Blah blah blah

And the band played on...

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join