It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

WARNING: The Planet's Trees may be Dying!

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 1 2011 @ 10:49 AM
link   

The trees spanning many of the mountainsides of western Montana glow an earthy red, like a broadleaf forest at the beginning of autumn.

But these trees are not supposed to turn red. They are evergreens, falling victim to beetles that used to be controlled in part by bitterly cold winters. As the climate warms, scientists say, that control is no longer happening.

Across millions of acres, the pines of the northern and central Rockies are dying, just one among many types of forests that are showing signs of distress these days.

The Article continues:

The devastation extends worldwide. The great euphorbia trees of southern Africa are succumbing to heat and water stress. So are the Atlas cedars of northern Algeria. Fires fed by hot, dry weather are killing enormous stretches of Siberian forest. Eucalyptus trees are succumbing on a large scale to a heat blast in Australia, and the Amazon recently suffered two “once a century” droughts just five years apart, killing many large trees.

Experts are scrambling to understand the situation, and to predict how serious it may become.

Scientists say the future habitability of the Earth might well depend on the answer.

See, Interactive Map

What can even be said?

By the time this is really recognized as a widespread problem, it will probably be already too late to do anything about it...or perhaps it was never really possible to do anything about it.

Lovely Saturday morning.

See also:

Trees dying in the West at record rate

Sad about SAD.

Not just the Animals dying off, the Trees too!

Trees dying off

edit on 1-10-2011 by loam because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 1 2011 @ 10:52 AM
link   
reply to post by loam

It's the 1st of October. Last year here at London it was so cold that
it started snowing about these times. Now since last week its been around
30*c EVERYDAY! WTF is going on!!!!!!!!

posted on Oct, 1 2011 @ 10:53 AM
link   

off-topic post removed to prevent thread-drift

posted on Oct, 1 2011 @ 10:55 AM
link   
Was this report done by Gore?

posted on Oct, 1 2011 @ 10:59 AM
link   
Climate change is real. Not a joke. What influences it is unclear to me. But fear mongering is fear mongering. It is too hot to trees and beetles are eating it? Well, there are trees that live in Africa in very hot climate. There are even trees in deserts.
So correct approach is not "planet's trees" are dying - weird set of words by itself by the way. The correct report would be "Tree species X die due to changing climate". And i assure you, some other species of tree will grow there. Life goes on. Life (and trees) went on even in much more drastic and toxic climate of young Earth.

posted on Oct, 1 2011 @ 10:59 AM
link   
the story talks about beetles killing the trees.... So really this is a thread about a certain type of tree in a certain area of the United States being killed off by a certain type of beetle.

Hardly what the title suggests.

Take care.

Regards
Lee

posted on Oct, 1 2011 @ 11:02 AM
link   
I love how people read one part of an article or thread and either stop reading or ignore the rest.

That's right, folks...this thread is only about one type of tree dying...

posted on Oct, 1 2011 @ 11:05 AM
link   
reply to post by loam

Cause and effect. Many wish to debate the cause while the effects are everywhere to see. Our world is changing, as it always has. It's all interesting as I'm sitting here watching another post Apocalypse tv survival show.

posted on Oct, 1 2011 @ 11:06 AM
link   
more often than not , those types of trees build homes , a serious matter indeed

the lumber is still good under the bark but the growth is stunted
edit on 1-10-2011 by watchdog8110 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 1 2011 @ 11:08 AM
link   
time for evolution to take place. alsothe trees in the northen rocky were only dieing because of warmer weather as one of mutiple reasons. A few questions has this ever happend before? How much has the temp. changed ever since this has been noticed? How far north do these beatles need to migrate north before it becomes to cold for them?

posted on Oct, 1 2011 @ 11:09 AM
link   

Originally posted by Doublemint
time for evolution to take place. alsothe trees in the northen rocky were only dieing because of warmer weather as one of mutiple reasons. A few questions has this ever happend before? How much has the temp. changed ever since this has been noticed? How far north do these beatles need to migrate north before it becomes to cold for them?

-40c has not killed them

posted on Oct, 1 2011 @ 11:09 AM
link   
reply to post by LDragonFire

Originally posted by LDragonFire
reply to post by loam

Many wish to debate the cause while the effects are everywhere to see.

Agreed.

I do not intend this thread to be about causation. But it is plain there is likely profound change taking place.

Brave new world.

posted on Oct, 1 2011 @ 11:22 AM
link   
Things are changing for the worse -- this is for sure.

I'm not saying this is the cause, but here's a study that has found that the beetles themselves may be changing:

Bark beetles (Coleoptera: Scolytidae) attack trees by boring through the bark and tunneling in the phloem and cambium layers surrounding the sapwood. Conifers such as pines and spruce usually produce copius amounts of resin to defend against the penetration by bark beetles (Raffa and Berryman, 1987). These resins have long been known to contain monoterpenes with toxic properties as well as being viscous and sticky. causing entrapment and suffocation of beetles (Webb,1906; Smith, 1961, 1965; Hodges et al., 1979; Raffa and Berryman, 1982, 1987; Byers, 1989; Werner, 1995; Klepzig et al., 1996). Therefore, it could be expected that bark beetles have evolved olfactory mechanisms and behaviors for the avoidance of specific volatile monoterpenes in tree resins. Pitman et al. (1966) reported that gas chromatographic effluents of frass from male, pine bark beetles, Ips paraconfusus Lanier, containing the monoterpenes alpha-pinene, myrcene, (B-pinene, 3-carene, and limonene, elicited "strong negative klinotactic movements" by walking beetles. However, most other earlier studies found that certain monoterpenes enhance the attraction to pheromone components in some of the most "aggressive" bark beetles that kill living trees (Bedard et al., 1969; Werner, 1972; Rudinsky et al.. 1972).

www.chemical-ecology.net...

Whatever is causing this needs further study.

Edit to Add: I just saw your comment saying that this thread isn't supposed to be about causes, but I don't see how this can be avoided if we are going to increase our awareness.
edit on 1-10-2011 by Afterthought because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 1 2011 @ 11:26 AM
link   
LOL so humans are to blame for beetles killing trees? Get real......

LETS ALL PANIC AND NEVER BE ALLOWED TO USE ELECTRICITY OR HOT WATER

Eco- Nazis are scary
edit on 10/1/2011 by mnmcandiez because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 1 2011 @ 11:33 AM
link   
reply to post by Afterthought

I think your post is fine. Thanks for adding the information.

Originally posted by Afterthought
Edit to Add: I just saw your comment saying that this thread isn't supposed to be about causes, but I don't see how this can be avoided if we are going to increase our awareness.

I just don't want this thread to devolve into yet another pointless paint-by-numbers political argument about causation. There are already many threads like that.

Of course, some juveniles just won't be able to help themselves.

I really hope this thread will assess the extent of the problem, if any. I'm open to the possibility it may just be hype. But I've been following this issue for some time and I just don't think it's overblown at this point.

ETA:

Originally posted by mnmcandiez
LOL so humans are to blame for beetles killing trees? Get real......

LETS ALL PANIC AND NEVER BE ALLOWED TO USE ELECTRICITY OR HOT WATER

Eco- Nazis are scary

Case and point.

I'm now an eco-nazi?

posted on Oct, 1 2011 @ 11:36 AM
link   
This sounds like Mountain Pine Beetle en.wikipedia.org.... These beetles have been devastating the interior ponderosa pine forests of BC for the few years now. They've always been around but cold temperatures in the winter would kill most of them off, they die when the temperature falls to -40 degrees Celsius. The problem is that over the last 50 years or so we've been suppressing forest fires. The beetles like old growth pine. In hot areas like the BC interior, which as far as I know is quite similar to Montana's climate, forest fires occur in a natural regime and remove fuel buildup and dead standing trees and they also remove the beetles. By suppressing every forest fire we have changed that regime and allowed the pines to reach maturity bringing the beetles in. At least that's what's happened up here I wouldn't be surprised if it was the same beetle. The picture of the damage looks very similar.

posted on Oct, 1 2011 @ 11:38 AM
link   
reply to post by Afterthought

thanks for the article I'll give it a read. I was thinking along the same lines that the beatles were changing and the trees haven't yet.

posted on Oct, 1 2011 @ 11:40 AM
link   
I live in South Florida. We have had colder than usual winters, much drier than usual summers and the summers are plenty hot. So like everywhere else we have noticed some climate change, though nothing that is consistent or remotely predictable. So I don't know the reason the beetles have been so successful in the destruction of so many of the pine trees in my area. So far it has been a losing battle and I fear the lost of all the pines in my life time.

I don't look for a solution by man. If we are successful in stopping the beetles we will only screw up something else so it is best that we leave it be and let nature work it out without interference by us.

We just have to learn that we don't have to dabbled in everything and that this planet will make it just fine without our input. In fact it will probably do much better without us.

posted on Oct, 1 2011 @ 11:45 AM
link   
Not sure about Montana and British Columbia but Albert has had to do controlled burns of the affected areas this year to try and stop the spread .

www.ctv.ca...

www.saxifrages.org...

posted on Oct, 1 2011 @ 11:52 AM
link   
reply to post by loam

No worries. It's all good!

I'm just happy to offer some info and insight. Things seem to be changing faster than we can keep up, which is what has me especially worried.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join