It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

RAP IS DEAD !

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 7 2003 @ 04:07 AM
link   
RAP, HIP-HOP MUSIC IS DEAD !
Only talking about Bizness, Money, Big Cars, Girlz...
Where is the message ?! Remember BDP, PUBLIC-ENEMY, Gran Master Flash...

RAP is still 30 years old !
RAP IS DEAD !

posted on Apr, 7 2003 @ 05:00 AM
link   
If message is what rap is about then it died with NWA. Public Enemy just put out a new CD "Revolverution" so did GMF. Mos def still puts out CDs with a message, and Talib Kweli with him. If you actually listen and think about what is said on CDs rather than take the words at face value then there is a message in many popular artists music. Eminem, though often not thoght to do so, has many messages in his music.

RAP AINT DEAD.
TECHNO IS DEAD.
NOBODY LISTENS TO TECHNO.

XAOS

posted on Apr, 7 2003 @ 06:17 AM
link   

Originally posted by Nans DESMICHELS
RAP IS DEAD !

If only it was true.....It would be a great news.

posted on Apr, 7 2003 @ 07:34 AM
link   
a French rapper....

Yo yo yo mon amis!

posted on Apr, 7 2003 @ 07:51 AM
link   
French rap isnt actually that bad. Ive heard some, but it cant compare to American.

XAOS

posted on Apr, 7 2003 @ 11:07 AM
link   
How can you say that rap/hip-hop is dead? Apparently you only listen to mainstream music. Try Non Phixion or Dilated Peoples (dont know if I spelled it right). If you like Eminem I suggest you listen to Necro and Cage, theyre better.

posted on Apr, 7 2003 @ 11:15 AM
link   
sex, drugs, and violence sells. A lot of record label won't put out concious music for fear of sales. There does need to be a new M.C that cancapture the masses like pac did

posted on Apr, 7 2003 @ 11:21 AM
link   
Why does everyone think that 2-Pac was the greatest!? All he really did was paint a profitable picture of the ghetto and thug life. 50 Cent is doing the same thing, and in my opinion, 50's flow is better.

posted on Apr, 7 2003 @ 11:21 AM
link   
I agree that Rap music has been on a downward spiral for many years now. It seems that the majority of rap artists rap about the same thing... girls, money, cars etc....All the videos are the same too. Gets kinda boring after a while.

posted on Apr, 7 2003 @ 11:24 AM
link   
But theres still rap artists that put out a better message. You just have to listen for it.

posted on Apr, 7 2003 @ 11:24 AM
link   

Originally posted by Nans DESMICHELS
RAP IS DEAD !

PROMISE?

posted on Apr, 7 2003 @ 11:30 AM
link   
Nans:

Rap was never alive only a culture called hiphop exist. now if you are talking about emceeing...then i'll have to disagree with you. if you are really interested in hiphop and not just throwing flames for flames sake i'll be more than happy to send you some great music and maybe even a little knowledge concerning our culture. u2u me or i can be reached on aim Juice1101.

Talib is amazing, that's my favorite emcee. "Quality" still holds it's spot in my disk changer and i still bump "reflection eternal"...i got my screen name from a re-make of Nina Simones "Four Women" off of that cd.

If i'm not around you can dowload or cop any of these folk...

Jurassic 5
Dilated Peoples
Blackalicious
J-Live
AesopRock
DPA
Company Flow
JediMind Tricks
Mos Def---(no recent stuff outside of the Brownsugar soundtrack, but it's pretty dope)
the Roots
OutKast
Nas (the new stuff from God's Son and Stillmatic plus his first classic Illmatic)

or--msn hiphop

click the link and select alternative hiphop--that's a cool lil internet station i bump while i'm online.

posted on Apr, 7 2003 @ 11:34 AM
link   
I like Snoop Dogg (except his new stuff) Doggy Style was an excellent album.

posted on Apr, 7 2003 @ 11:38 AM
link   
and the quotes i use in my signature are courtsey of AesopRock...my favorite is the old quote...

I drag a yellow taxi meter behind every measure and chage dese cats for lablin me shepherd, that'll be six-fifty plus tip darlin, i take cash, money orders, gold, and cigarette cartons.

Aesop is crazy.

posted on Apr, 7 2003 @ 11:48 AM
link   
I wish...

Rap isn't even real music...

posted on Apr, 7 2003 @ 12:22 PM
link   
To each his/her own. But in my opinion, rap is music. Some people (like myself) really enjoy it. Im very open minded with music. Its an art form, and a damned good one. Ill listen to almost anything (except Avril Lavine, Nsync, etc...).

posted on Apr, 8 2003 @ 04:14 PM
link   
Not at all. Rap is music, whether you like it or not is irrelevent. It has the components of music: instruments and vocals. Try to make a beat that sounds good and then tell me its not an art, its almost impossible. Aesop Rock kicks ass, note the signature. cannible ox is good, SPM, David Banner, 50 cent, Paradime, scarface, too short, and lil john are also good. Not all rappers talk about money and bitches, just most of the mainstream ones.

posted on Apr, 8 2003 @ 09:27 PM
link   
almost impossible is an oxymoron. its either impossible or its not. given the sickening fact that someone named 'fifty cent', who i doubt could put two intelligible words together in polite convesation, is lauded as an
'artist', no matter how loose and anarchic your defintion of the term is, says lots about the decrepid state of popular american music.

even if you take into account the rampant commercialization, you still need a market appeal, an
open demographic, that is receptive to this sludge; people who are willing to be 'open minded', or who
follow trends like good machines, dole out their money to support these non-entities.

methinks its more worthwhile to look at, examine, and try to understnd, the why, the who, the how come, around the attraction for this loathsome shyte.

[Edited on 9-4-2003 by syzygy]

posted on Apr, 8 2003 @ 09:30 PM
link   
Drugs, sex, and money doesn't sell.

In the 40s what sold were sweet dancing songs.

In the 60s it was political activist songs.

In the 1700s it was Mozart.

Music shapes the children of our time.

In Nazi Germany Music took on an almost Empire-like tone, and better adapted the youth there to become "Storm Troopers."

Rap in America sells because it is brainwashing kids to become sex addicted losers.

posted on Apr, 8 2003 @ 09:34 PM
link   
life's not a bitch, she's a beautiful woman, you only call her a bitch cause she wouldn't let you get that p*ssy. maybe she didn't feel yall shared any similar interest or maybe you're just an as*hole who couldn't sweet talk the princess

I tell myself stay... up high
make a mockery of Sun and moon and star til they hand over the sky
My de luxe is, fluxes, pivots to where the crux is
Invade the town while village elders holler "Who the f*ck's this?"

Now we the American working population
Hate the fact that eight hours a day
Is wasted on chasing the dream of someone that isn't us
And we may not hate our jobs
But we hate jobs in general
That don't have to do with fighting our own causes
We the American working population
Hate the nine-to-five day-in day-out
When we'd rather be supporting ourselves
By being paid to perfect the past times
That we have harbored based solely on the fact
That it makes us smile if it sounds dope!!!!!

I'ma stop there if you are not fully aware of what you missin by sleepin on Aesop by now you are hopeless.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join