It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Hunting tips.

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 1 2011 @ 07:42 AM
link   
Hunting season is open here ... in fact I'll be out in the field a lot this week... so I though maybe a few tips were in order...

First I set my tree stands up several weeks ago...
(Edit to add.. I set them up early so the deer get used to my scent and my being out there with them...)
I selected two spots that border my property...
one spot over looks the creek a sloping bank where lots of tracks were found in the muddy bank...
the other is at the very edge of a corn field... I'm still set up back in the tree line so I can work both the fields and the the brush they like to use for cover... and I have already cleared my fields of fire and snipped back all the extra branches around my tree stands... hate to swing around to take a shot and find the bow hung up on a twig...

Because I have to be in that tree stand well before dawn I use a headlamp

I like this one because the head swivels up and down... plus I get 5 hours run time with 3 aaa batteries...
Why I picked this one is because of its 5 leds... one big 50 lumen spot... two smaller but bright red leds then two more white leds as a flood light... in the dark the red lights let you keep your night vision and being a headlamp lets me use both hands to climb into that tree...

Two things about tree stands... since I hunt alone I use a small chair type.... that means I had to practice drawing my bow from a sitting position.... that feels a lot different than making a standing shot... I had to dial back both draw weight and pull... for practice I just flip a 5 gallon bucket over for a chair... try it, it's not as easy as it sounds....

the second thing is about the tree stands themselves... because they have to be left out... sometimes bad people like to sabotage them.... I've heard a lot of stories about cut chains and cables... stands rigged to fall when touched... I dont know what goes through some peoples minds when they do that... probably get all giggly at the thought of busted arms or something???... anyway before you mount your stand or blind... check it carefully... to make sure no one left you a nasty surprise...

one parting thought... I dont normally wear blaze orange vests... but I do have a cap... When I'm in a tree I hang that cap near me but not on me.... a good hunter will know I'm there and move on... but a mischievous person who might want to take a pot shot at me wont find me directly under that hat... good luck all CU in the fields
edit on 1-10-2011 by DaddyBare because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 1 2011 @ 08:15 AM
link   
ill give you some hunting tips..

never hunt for sport.. only take from the land what is necessary

posted on Oct, 1 2011 @ 08:22 AM
link   
reply to post by Misterlondon

to my family it is the difference between eating steaks
or cold ramen noddles all winter... I am an avid hunter... but I don't do it for sport or the trophy...

Like my ancestors did I also give praise to the animals spirit too...

While I do hunt with a bow I also carry my sidearm... hate to see any animal suffer needlessly... but I also dont want to be kicked if I try to slit his throat

posted on Oct, 1 2011 @ 08:47 AM
link   
man theres some MESSED up people out there...to rig your stand to fall and take pot shots...damn

posted on Oct, 1 2011 @ 09:05 AM
link   

Originally posted by HomerinNC
man theres some MESSED up people out there...to rig your stand to fall and take pot shots...damn

I once met a man in the woods toting a big double barrel shot gun...

I asked him..."Any luck?"
He replied..."Yeah I had three sight shots and three sounds shots!"

It pays to be extra careful in the woods during hunting season....

posted on Oct, 1 2011 @ 09:06 AM
link   
Bowhunting is something I have yet to try. A great skill if you can do it.

If "sport" hunting hones your skills for when you need them, I say go for it, especially deer, since you are probably actually thinning their overpopulated numbers. Nothing like freshly killed venison

Thanks for the tips and another great thread

posted on Oct, 1 2011 @ 09:12 AM
link   
I love using my bow...cant wait to get out there

posted on Oct, 1 2011 @ 09:28 AM
link   

Originally posted by radosta
Bowhunting is something I have yet to try. A great skill if you can do it.

If "sport" hunting hones your skills for when you need them, I say go for it, especially deer, since you are probably actually thinning their overpopulated numbers. Nothing like freshly killed venison

Thanks for the tips and another great thread

You have to get out there and try it. The first time you have an animal directly underneath you while you are 20 feet up in a tree and you will be hooked for life. There is nothing more pure and invigorating then bowhunting. And when you harvest an animal it gives you the essence of how the ancients must have felt while hunting for their game.

My biggest tip for hunting is make sure you adjust for the wind accordingly. You can wear all the scent preventing clothing and use scent free soap all you want, but if a deer catches your scent, hunts over. There are a few instances when you can get away with being winded, but thats when bucks are hot on does and want to get it on.

Good luck to all those hunters out there and BE SAFE brothers (and sisters)!

S&F OP.

posted on Oct, 1 2011 @ 09:33 AM
link   
reply to post by olliemc84

Good point and you reminded me...
that's why I use a tree stand...
a Big buck has a nose like a bloodhounds... he can smell you coming a mile off...
but up in a tree, at dawn... with the air rising with the morning sun... your above his sniffer and with luck... your stank will drift up and away from... doesn't always work... but 9 out of 10 ... is pretty darn good

posted on Oct, 1 2011 @ 09:39 AM
link   

Originally posted by DaddyBare

Good point and you reminded me...
that's why I use a tree stand...
a Big buck has a nose like a bloodhounds... he can smell you coming a mile off...
but up in a tree, at dawn... with the air rising with the morning sun... your above his sniffer and with luck... your stank will drift up and away from... doesn't always work... but 9 out of 10 ... is pretty darn good

The trick is being able to contain your scent walking to your stand. I usually dress down so that I don't sweat too bad (I carry in a climbing tree stand) and then dress once I get up the tree. I try to always wear rubber soled boots and elbow length rubber gloves so that no scent transfers from me to the earth/surrounding vegetation.

Season doesn't open here until the 15th. Going to be a good year if this weather holds up. Last three seasons has been extremely warm. Poor deer movement until the first or second week of November.

posted on Oct, 1 2011 @ 09:44 AM
link   
thanks for posting very informative threads all the time, i really enjoy reading them!!

here in ireland it is duck season now and pheasant season next month, im not sure about dear here, it is a lot more strict here in ireland for hunting dear, first off its hard to get a rifle licence here unless you own a shotgun for a number of years first and secnd even when you have a rifle licence you need another licence to hunt the dear.

i myself have started hunting a few months ago, have a double barl shotgun and only shot game with it, very nice to eat your first kill

but i plan on getting big into it and fishing too.

also to add, that is realy bad form people will do that kind of thing, as in actually taking a shot at you??? not a hope would people here do that, altho, you do get the stupid people who fire at a sound and not wait to see what it is first. can easily turn out nasty!!

posted on Oct, 1 2011 @ 09:54 AM
link   

Originally posted by scoobyrob
thanks for posting very informative threads all the time, i really enjoy reading them!!

here in ireland it is duck season now and pheasant season next month, im not sure about dear here, it is a lot more strict here in ireland for hunting dear, first off its hard to get a rifle licence here unless you own a shotgun for a number of years first and secnd even when you have a rifle licence you need another licence to hunt the dear.

i myself have started hunting a few months ago, have a double barl shotgun and only shot game with it, very nice to eat your first kill

but i plan on getting big into it and fishing too.

also to add, that is realy bad form people will do that kind of thing, as in actually taking a shot at you??? not a hope would people here do that, altho, you do get the stupid people who fire at a sound and not wait to see what it is first. can easily turn out nasty!!

A friend of mine lost his father in a hunting accident while we were in high school. The shooter was in a place where he wasn't supposed to be and shot at movement during pre-light hours. Both father and son were wearing orange at the time. The shooter wasn't from around the area. He drove up from Brooklyn and was staying at a friends house. Decided to hunt (poach, trespass) on a nearby lot and ended my friends fathers life.

There was another hunting accident in my area a few years ago that is probably the most tragic I have ever heard. Hunter (again, not from around here) took a 200 yard shot with his .300 Win Mag and failed to notice the house past his target at 500 yards. Bullet entered the house and struck a little girl, killing her instantly.

16 month old killed by hunter

edit on 1-10-2011 by olliemc84 because: remove image

posted on Oct, 1 2011 @ 10:03 AM
link   

im sorry to hear!!

unfortunatlly preventable accidents are going to continue to happen. i guess all we can do is be as safe as we can, enjoy it and hope your not in the wrong place at the wrong time! some people think guns are toys....

posted on Oct, 1 2011 @ 10:21 AM
link   
Early archery season opened today here in Franklin County, VA. I am going to get my license on Monday. I used to meat hunt but the last several years I have just hunted big bucks. However this year I will be meat hunting for my mom and family. Killing deer is not hard with a rifle. We had six in our backyard the other morning and one is a 4 point piebald deer (piebald is a genaric term for any animal who is not their natural color and in this instance he is half white and half brown)

Any way good luck hunting ... I remember when my friend Scott and I first came to VA to hunt from PA. There was a guy shot out of a tree and I remember the guy at the local store said it was personal. That said always see what is behind your target if using a high power weapon.

edit on 1-10-2011 by fnpmitchreturns because: add pic

edit on 1-10-2011 by fnpmitchreturns because: edit pic

posted on Oct, 1 2011 @ 11:12 AM
link   
reply to post by DaddyBare

Safety tip I learned young...though with a rifle.

Keep the safety on till ya have a shot and when you're on the move...know your limits.

Damn near popped my dome when I slipped on some ice going back to truck. Close call and lesson learned...the hard way.

posted on Oct, 1 2011 @ 01:15 PM
link   
Environmental extremists like to build traps and sabotage tree stands. I've seen 6x6x6 pits dug in the middle of bike trails, with sharp sticks at the bottom, then covered over. I guess they are selective thinkers because the chance that a deer or other animal will fall into them for years to come is probably better than a biker getting hurt by it often. The bikers usually cover them back over to restore the trail. They always do it though.

Deer aren't that hard to sneak up on.
I hit one with my bike before. I was coming around a turn and he was just standing there eating. He was cute, but he ran away so fast. I've heard that deer are dangerous up close, but this one didn't take a kick at me or anything. He just ran.

posted on Oct, 1 2011 @ 04:13 PM
link   
I still remember the advice I got when I started hunting as a child.
"Shut up. Don't miss. And don't spill my beer."

posted on Oct, 2 2011 @ 08:18 AM
link   
Don't forget a safety belt, a friend fell out of his stand while taking a shot a couple of years ago, broke his ankle. He still can't walk right.

posted on Oct, 3 2011 @ 09:02 AM
link   
Another good tip...
dont rope your rifle up into a tree or other stand...
if that million to one chance happens and you drop that riffle... and it goes off... guess who's going to be right under it...

posted on Oct, 3 2011 @ 09:30 AM
link   
I was walkin in the woods recently and saw a 10 foot step ladder with a saddle screwed to the top. It was chained to a tree. I giggled.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join