It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Anyone ever check old analog TV stations?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 1 2011 @ 12:14 AM
link   
Not that I expect anything more than static. But it would be kind of neat to see if any low-power pirate stations exist out there. Since the big push for digital, there has got to be a lot of "unused" white spaces on the old bands that could be used as an underground broadcast medium of sorts.

I don't see why not. Old analog TVs are common as dirt, and certainly there have got to be some people that know how to tweak and fiddle with things like signal converters and throw up an antenna. Nor will all old TVs be thrown out, still useful for VHS/DVD players or old game systems and the such - even if they seem like relics compared to flat-screen LCDs with digital tuners.

Provided somebody doesn't care if the broadcast is kept very localized, and if low-powered enough the FCC might take a while to catch on (particularly if there are no immediate complaints), I don't see why it hasn't been done.

Also seems like an easy way to distribute information when standard media channels don't pick up on a story. Particularly with people that still don't have internet for some reason. Imagine the effect of flyers posted in a neighborhood telling anyone with an old set to try tuning in on a certain channel at 7PM or such.

So I'm just curious, has anybody ever seen any current pirate TV stations out there or indications they may exist? (I know that there used to be some neat stories of pirate broadcasts over other stations, but this is different. Now since everything has gone digital - I'm willing to bet a lot of spectrum goes unobserved. There might be some neat, weird, or funny stuff hiding out there.)

posted on Oct, 1 2011 @ 12:21 AM
link   
I think the military took over the analog frequency for some reason or another...I tried about a year ago in the San Jose, California area and there wasn't anything unfortunately. I wish there was because I don't have a AT&T box in my room so I'm stuck watchin movies instead of football while in bed

posted on Oct, 1 2011 @ 12:23 AM
link   
reply to post by pauljs75

Here in Australia we still use analogue, digital is probably more common these days, but I still have an analogue TV (not much more comes on digital anyway). So I've checked, and there are no pirate stations.

posted on Oct, 1 2011 @ 12:24 AM
link   

Originally posted by NewsWorthy
I think the military took over the analog frequency for some reason or another...

That sounds like an urban legend. But maybe its true?

posted on Oct, 1 2011 @ 12:37 AM
link   
I still have a 12inch LCD tv in the UK connected to analogue signal, I have never noticed pirate signal, but with the cross over to digital it could be a beneficial idea. BBC1, BBC2, ITV, CH4, CH5(meh analogue). Once these channels have crossed over it is free space, apparently to be taken over by military??

But could you transmit using a local ariel to a television, sound only (like terrestrial pirate radio, or with a picture?
I think thi would be a nice neice for local enthusiasts. Realistically it would only last a few years until the guys moved apart, ran out of cash for equipment or actually hit it big time.

You either listen in or you do not.

Im OUTRAGED
For a start how did you even find this station on this outdated, abandoned media,
By default you have chosen not to listen by your personal choice of media outlet, MSM will not notify you of this movement unless it causes such a disgusting, moral outrage it cannot be allowed to continue!!!! Not actually decided by the people, it is feed to you.
IN REALITY
The 'illegal broadcast never affects you',
It does not find you out, it does not malisously affect your life, or your children.

I LOVE IT
If you do 'find' this broadcast, it could be inspiring and lead to a better experience all round..? A number of paths open...
Life is about trying # out. And that makes you unpredictable, and fun, and interesting. Live your life, tweak it, # with it, learn from it!.

Some shoes fit, some rub like h#ll, Some look good on your feet.

Radio Luxembourg is a perfect example, the unkown is a scary and powerful notion for some people. Radio Luxembourg came about as a natural, powerful, social evolution.

WE will continue to develop our weapons of mass social evolution as long as we are repressed.. AND THEY ARE MORE POWERFUL THAN WE CAN IMAGINE.

Unplanned.

Organic.

Natural evolution.

TPTB think they are clever, we are subconciously evolving as a group to stick the finger up at them!
Repression = evolution = best friends and cut the crap.. now.... seriously

edit on 1-10-2011 by Fatmandy because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 1 2011 @ 12:40 AM
link   
That's a very cool thought though.. it'd be awesome if there was some creepy $hidt going on

posted on Oct, 1 2011 @ 01:54 AM
link   
Imagine if you were able to get a tv station and broadcast nothing but documentaries and other factual programs loaded with truth that could wake up millions. They may tune in out of boredom or curiosity but end up finding out a few things about the world that will blow their minds. You could also have a counter balance to the msm, a type of news show that just states facts that the media ignored while they were cherry picking. By keeping opinion to a bare minimum and sticking to the facts you'd reduce the ability of the other stations to attack it with propaganda.

If anyone ever pulled it off, they would change the world.

posted on Oct, 1 2011 @ 02:31 AM
link   
reply to post by polarwarrior

If anyone ever pulled it off, they would change the world.

...or "tragically and accidentally" be the victim of some horrible missile/plane accident involving their home/broadcast center...

Martyrdom anyone?!

edit on 10/1/11 by EvolEric because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 1 2011 @ 04:28 AM
link   
It seems possible and maybe taking place already. Here is a link where it has been discussed even.

Pirate television

If you get caught,and they always get caught,be prepared to pay a $25,000 fine.

posted on Oct, 2 2011 @ 09:10 PM
link   
I found one or two websites like "OMG I'm on TV" which was channel 14 out of Vancouver. But it looks like they haven't been active for a couple of years. Then some various sites like instructables which one of you guys mentioned and places having arguments about the legality of it.

I'm not doubting that it's any more (or less) illegal than pirate radio (technically TV is a form of radio), but was wondering if there is any actual current activity. Doesn't seem to be much indicating that on YouTube or when doing internet searches on the subject.

I browsed through stations on my own TV since I've asked the question. No box or converter, but since it's still hooked up to cable - there are a few local TV stations are still being converted to analog by the cable company. There is one Spanish station that may be questionable, since it comes in real fuzzy. But if it's a pirate, they're only rebroadcasting old telenovelas - nothing that appears really original content-wise. If I find where the rabbit ears are, I might try again to see if that's actually on the air.

I think it would be kind of neat as a project if you don't get in trouble for it. Supposedly it is possible to boost channel 3 or 4 that comes out of VCRs with an in-line TV signal amplifier such that it'll work over the air for a very short distance. (Under a mile.) But in a very populous urban area, that still might be an potential audience in the thousands.

new topics

top topics

join