It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

H.B. Robinson Nuclear Plant, Hartsville, SC - unplanned reactor shutdown

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 1 2011 @ 12:02 AM
link   
Here we go again! When is enough going to be enough. This is getting insane

Officials with the U.S. Nuclear Regulatory Commission and Progress Energy are looking into an unplanned reactor shutdown that occurred at the H.B. Robinson Nuclear Plant near Hartsville on Monday. "We had an automatic plant trip," said Progress Energy spokesperson Jessica Lambert, who said a faulty electrical relay caused the shutdown. Progress Energy owns and operates the plant. The incident happened at about 11:45 a.m., Lambert said. She said the shutdown occurred when the system that monitors the flow of coolant through the reactor's coolant system indicated a low flow of coolant in the system. Lambert said plant officials have now determined that the incident resulted from a failed electrical relay in the reactor protection system and not from a problem in the coolant system. The reactor was still down on Wednesday, and Lambert said plant personnel are working to make the needed repairs to bring it back into service soon.

The agency said that based on actions taken by Robinson officials, it had closed three "white" inspection findings but would leave one deficiency finding in effect until Sept. 30, when it, too, would be closed unless additional findings occurred before then. The NRC evaluates regulatory performance of commercial nuclear reactors using a color-coded system which classifies findings as green, white, yellow or red in increasing order of safety significance.

Source

With the constant reports of nuclear issues, loud booms that can't be explained, strange noises being heard all over the place,,,,is anyone else feeling a bit on edge?

posted on Oct, 1 2011 @ 12:07 AM
link   
maybe that's why the Russians locked all thier nuke plants down recently... CME issues...

posted on Oct, 1 2011 @ 12:18 AM
link   
Here's an update.

A fire alarm went off in a containment building at the H.B. Robinson Nuclear Plant near Hartsville as a reactor was being brought back on line after an unplanned shutdown earlier this week. The Nuclear Regulatory Commission said the alarm sounded early Thursday but there was no fire or smoke. NRC spokesman Roger Hannah says the reactor is now going back on line and the problem appeared to be a faulty alarm. The plant was being brought back up after a faulty electrical relay caused the reactor to shut down Monday. Progress Energy said the reactor automatically switched off when a gauge incorrectly detected low coolant level. The NRC has been monitoring the plant more closely after four reactor shutdowns in less than a year.

Yeah it is kinda nerve-racking but i guess the plant automatically responded properly.

posted on Oct, 1 2011 @ 12:25 AM
link   
reply to post by JackBauer

Thank you for the update Jack. Funny, the piece I posted was just posted on Friday the 30th. Surprised they didn't update with the update

posted on Oct, 1 2011 @ 01:14 AM
link   
reply to post by JackBauer

This is bothersome because I live < 30 minutes from this place. It's a small, sort of rusty looking facility with a dirt driveway at one side. I know a lot of people who work there for progress energy, but haven't heard anything about the incident. I'm glad I saw this here!

posted on Oct, 1 2011 @ 03:15 AM
link   
They found radioactive water from an undetermined leak under a nuclear plant in Georgia.
Wonder if they are connected? Same design or something?

Radioactive water found in Ga Nuke plant
edit on 1-10-2011 by hadriana because: (no reason given)

top topics

join