It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

DICK ACT of 1902... (gun control forbidden)

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 30 2011 @ 10:28 PM
link   
Here's an interesting Read:

DICK ACT of 1902... CAN'T BE REPEALED (GUN CONTROL FORBIDDEN) - Protection Against Tyrannical Government

Anyone have anymore info on this... research is forth comming...

The Dick Act of 1902 also known as the Efficiency of Militia Bill H.R. 11654, of June 28, 1902 invalidates all so-called gun-control laws. It also divides the militia into three distinct and separate entities. The three classes H.R. 11654 provides for are the organized militia, henceforth known as the National Guard of the State, Territory and District of Columbia, the unorganized militia and the regular army. The militia encompasses every able-bodied male between the ages of 18 and 45. All members of the unorganized militia have the absolute personal right and 2nd Amendment right to keep and bear arms of any type, and as many as they can afford to buy.

Mod Note: Starting A New Thread – Please Review Link

AboveTopSecret.com takes pride in making every post count. Please do not create minimal posts to start your new thread. If you feel inclined to make the board aware of news, current events, or important information from other sites, please post one or two paragraphs, a link to the entire story, and your opinion on the information as a means to inspire discussion or collaborative research on your subject.
edit on 10/1/2011 by maria_stardust because: Removed all caps from thread title and added a mod note.

posted on Sep, 30 2011 @ 10:32 PM
link   
reply to post by Heyyo_yoyo

I am too tired to read this right now.I have it saved onto
my computer and will read it when I can.Great find and
star and flag for posting it.

posted on Sep, 30 2011 @ 10:34 PM
link   
Ya know, I've heard about this before, and I thought the name was made up... I love it.

I have only one gun (well, a second matching one for parts), and I don't have it in my possession, but I am damned proud that I CAN own it. I'll stick to sticks, strings, and flying twigs for now, but I know that if I ever want to go shoot me a pheasant to eat... I can

posted on Sep, 30 2011 @ 10:35 PM
link   
I believe it was meant for the STATES miliitias to arm them. Was not for the citizen. Also read it never passed the house vote
edit on 30-9-2011 by AllUrChips because: (no reason given)

en.wikipedia.org...
edit on 30-9-2011 by AllUrChips because: add link

posted on Sep, 30 2011 @ 10:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by AllUrChips
I believe it was meant for the STATES miliitias to arm them. Was not for the citizen.

The militia encompasses every able-bodied male between the ages of 18 and 45. All members of the unorganized militia have the absolute personal right and 2nd Amendment right to keep and bear arms of any type, and as many as they can afford to buy.

Sounds like citizen to me.

posted on Sep, 30 2011 @ 10:37 PM
link   
I would love to see this brought up somehow.

The 2nd amendment is the glue that holds the other amendments in force.

Without it we will eventually be slaves.

posted on Sep, 30 2011 @ 10:40 PM
link   
reply to post by Heyyo_yoyo

The Dick Act of 1902

1902,,before ww1,, i dont think,,
having two pistols,, a good winchester,,horse,, sadle,,would cost about,,
weeks wages??

say on a cattle run for instance,,

ohh its this line,,,

as many as the average citizen,,,,could afford,,, soooooooo

i guess,, were richer today??? lol

posted on Sep, 30 2011 @ 11:12 PM
link   
info from chapter 16: Transition and Change, 1902-1917 - AMERICAN MILITARY HISTORY

Secretary Root took the lead in presenting to Congress in 1901 a program for reform of the National Guard. In response to his recommendations, Congress in 1903 passed the Dick bill, which thoroughly revised the obsolete Militia Act of 1792. It separated the militia into two classes�the Organized Militia, to be known as the National Guard, and the Reserve Militia�and provided that, over a five-year period, the Guard's organization and equipment be patterned after that of the Regular Army. To help accomplish these changes in the Guard, the Dick bill made available federal funds; prescribed drill at least twice a month, supplemented with short annual training periods; permitted detailing of Regular officers to Guard units; and directed holding of joint maneuvers each year. Failure of the new measure, however, to modify significantly the longstanding provisions that severely restricted federal power to call up Guard units and control Guard personnel limited its effectiveness. Subsequent legislation in 1908 and 1914 reduced these restrictions to some extent, giving the President the right to prescribe the length of federal service and, with the advice and consent of the Senate, to appoint all officers of the Guard while the Guard was in federal service.

Here are the three components of this act I could find

the First Militia (Dick) Act (32 Stat. 775), January 21, 1903
the Second Militia (Dick) Act (35 Stat. 399), May 27, 1908
the National Defense (Army Reorganization) Act (39 Stat. 203), June 3, 1916

Records of the National Guard Bureau

Evidently, there were two DICK ACTS, both of which passed.

posted on Sep, 30 2011 @ 11:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by Heyyo_yoyo
info from chapter 16: Transition and Change, 1902-1917 - AMERICAN MILITARY HISTORY

Secretary Root took the lead in presenting to Congress in 1901 a program for reform of the National Guard. In response to his recommendations, Congress in 1903 passed the Dick bill, which thoroughly revised the obsolete Militia Act of 1792. It separated the militia into two classes�the Organized Militia, to be known as the National Guard, and the Reserve Militia�and provided that, over a five-year period, the Guard's organization and equipment be patterned after that of the Regular Army. To help accomplish these changes in the Guard, the Dick bill made available federal funds; prescribed drill at least twice a month, supplemented with short annual training periods; permitted detailing of Regular officers to Guard units; and directed holding of joint maneuvers each year. Failure of the new measure, however, to modify significantly the longstanding provisions that severely restricted federal power to call up Guard units and control Guard personnel limited its effectiveness. Subsequent legislation in 1908 and 1914 reduced these restrictions to some extent, giving the President the right to prescribe the length of federal service and, with the advice and consent of the Senate, to appoint all officers of the Guard while the Guard was in federal service.

Here are the three components of this act I could find

the First Militia (Dick) Act (32 Stat. 775), January 21, 1903
the Second Militia (Dick) Act (35 Stat. 399), May 27, 1908
the National Defense (Army Reorganization) Act (39 Stat. 203), June 3, 1916

Records of the National Guard Bureau

Evidently, there were two DICK ACTS, both of which passed.

Im still looking but I beleive it passed without the gun part

posted on Sep, 30 2011 @ 11:18 PM
link   
Militia Act of 1903

U.S. Senator Charles W. F. Dick, a Major General in the Ohio National Guard and the chair of the Committee on the Militia,[1] sponsored the 1903 Act towards the end of the 57th U.S. Congress. Under this legislation, passed January 21, 1903, the organized militia of the States were given federal status to the militia, and required to conform to Regular Army organization within five years.

Militias given federal status hmmm.....

I need to dig further, BUT

This ACT did Pass as the First Militia Act of 1903, under the 57th Congressional session...

More info here:

THE ROOT REFORMS AND THE NATIONAL GUARD

I NEED the document!

edit on 30-9-2011 by Heyyo_yoyo because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 30 2011 @ 11:31 PM
link   
Here is the text of the act:

Militia Act of 1903

Another refference to it: 100 mb. pdf file:

www.constitution.org...
edit on 30-9-2011 by Heyyo_yoyo because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 1 2011 @ 03:18 AM
link   
ACT reads as follows:

CHAP. 196 .-An Act To promote the efficiency of the militia, and for other January 21,1903 .
purposes .
[public, No. 33.]
Be it enacted by the Senate and House ofRepresentatives of the United
States of America in Congress assembled, That the militia shall consist of every able-bodied male citizen of the respective States, Territories, and the District of Columbia, and every able; bodied male of foreign
birth who has declared his intention to become a citizen, who is more
than eighteen and less than forty-five years of age, and shall be divided
into two classes-the organized militia, to be known as the National National Guard.
Guard of the State, Territory, or . District of Columbia, or by such
other designations as may be given them by the laws of the respective
States or Territories, and the remainder to be known as the Reserve Reserve Militia .
Militia .

SEC-. 13. That the Secretary of War is hereby authorized to issue, Issue of arms, etc,
on the requisitions of the governors of the several States and Territories, or of the commanding general of the militia of the District of Columbia, such number of the United States standard service magazine
arms, with bayonets, bayonet scabbards, gun slings, belts, and
such other necessary accouterments and equipments as are required
for the Army of the United States, for arming all of the organized
militia in said States and Territories and District of Columbia, without Not chargeable to
charging the cost or value thereof, orally which have been issued since annual allotment.
December first, nineteen hundred and one, or any expense connected
therewith, against the allotment to said State, Territory, or District of
Columbia, out of the annual appropriation provided by section sixteen hundred and sixty-one of the Revised Statutes, as amended, or require of aming payment therefor, and to exchange, without receiving any money
credit therefor, ammunition, or parts thereof, suitable to the new
arms, round for round, for corresponding ammunition suitable . to the
old arms theretofore issued to said State, Territory, or District by the
United States : Provided, That said rifles and carbines and other property shall be receipted for and shall remain the property of the United new arms . States and be annually accounted for by the governors of the States and Territories as now required bylaw, and that each State, Territory,
and District shall, on receipt of 'the new arms, turn in to the Ordnance
Department of the United States Army, without receiving any money
credit therefor, and without expense for transportation, all United
States rifles and carbines now in its possession .

To provide, means to carry into effect the provisions of this section, Appropriation.
the necessary money to cover the cost of exchanging or issuing the new
arms, accouterments, equipments, and ammunition to be exchanged or
issued hereunder is hereby appropriated out of any moneys in the
Treasury not otherwise appropriated .

Well, it clearly states the War Department will issue arms to the militia...Here's the interesting part:

sections sixteen hundred and twenty-five to sixteen
repealed . hundred and sixty, both included, of title sixteen of the Revised Statutes,
and section two hundred and thirty-two thereof, relating to the
militia, are hereby repealed .

Clearly... the repealed parts of this ACT were where it granted the entitlement of this post methinks.

posted on Oct, 1 2011 @ 03:31 AM
link   
Exactly.........................

DICK(s)

posted on Oct, 1 2011 @ 12:57 PM
link   
The "unorganized militia" is everyone registered with selective service. Technically, it's every able bodied male between 18 and 45. Some states back in the day (pre- Dick Act), required citizens to carry guns since they were all potential militia.

The National Guard is the organized militia. Its predeccessor is the individual state militias. Older Guard units can trace lineage back to local militia units in the 1800s, and in the cases of some of the original states, all the way back to colonial times.

The Dick Act basically created the modern National Guard system. It federally funded state militias and required certain uniform standards, practices, and training in conjunction with the regular army. State guard commands still have a lot of differences from each other, but they are much more intertwined with each other and the regular army now.

A second Dick Act and the National Defense Act of 1916 refined and clarified some of the finer points, but the first Dick Act in 1903 was really the impetus for this.

The Guard was used as a reserve force (and was used fully during WW2) until recently. GWOT has turned the Guard into an operational force and Guard units are used regularly on the front lines in Afghanistan and Iraq.

A sideline and point of clarification for some who don't understand the Posse Comitatus Act:
The Act does NOT apply to the National Guard since, although mostly federally funded, they are separate state entities. (I see a lot of posts on ATS that mix this up).

posted on Oct, 1 2011 @ 02:17 PM
link   
It seems to me that any male eligible for selective service should be allowed to buy/possess any weapon of their choosing, even if it is a fully automatic.

Too bad that part was probably repealed!

posted on Oct, 1 2011 @ 02:44 PM
link   
So it says if you are a citizen of the us registered for slective service they meaning the state is required to issue you whatever the army uses paid for by the unused treasury for that state. Sweet

posted on Oct, 1 2011 @ 02:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by FTD Brat
It seems to me that any male eligible for selective service should be allowed to buy/possess any weapon of their choosing, even if it is a fully automatic.

Too bad that part was probably repealed!

They should also be issued a standard mil setup as stated in the act funded by the state. would work out great for thoes who cant afford to buy all the cool new gadgets.

posted on Oct, 1 2011 @ 03:05 PM
link   
Not worth worrying about.

In 2010 the US Supreme Court ruled the 2nd Amendment is an INCORPORATED Right. Applies to citizens, not States.

Nobody can violate your right to free speech, or to possess a firearm.

posted on Oct, 1 2011 @ 04:50 PM
link   
there is something else that negates all federal gun control laws.

any firearms made within the state are exempt from all federal regulation ie gun control laws.

the only reason the feds can dictate to the states what they deem to be illegal is they are sold over state lines as per the interstate commerce clause with gives them the "authority".

the arguement for state rights is clear and the government thinks it is the master and the citizen is the slaves to the whim of whatever the federal state deems to be a danger to society however the greatest danger to the people
is and will always be its own government.

posted on Oct, 2 2011 @ 01:48 AM
link   
Well according to what I posted, the state evidently recieves funds from the feds to arm and train EVERY able bodied male citizen between ages 18 - 45 as they are automatically incorporated into that State's militia. Selective Service is one thing, the State Government's duty to arm and train it's male citizens according to the text of the act is SORELY lacking. Where's all the funding going?

Where are all the weapons as I'm sure the department of vital statistics in each state keeps on record when it's commerce matures to an age to bear arms. One rifle is probably automatically issued via the war department once that happens, to get stored at the NG armory? WHERE"S THE DAMN TRAINING?! and where's my damn carbine!

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join