It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Dead Sea Scrolls, a few interesting things for ats members.

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 3 2011 @ 12:35 AM
link   
flavious josephus makes reference to the essenes and he says their culture was very very old they embraced poverty and some say the believed in reincarnation though i believe they meant resurrection. they where very close to the modern day Christians before the Jewish Christ came with his divine teachings. they referred to themselves as the sons of light, and is believed they where the authors of the dead sea scrolls. they where very apocalyptic and most prophets came from their lineage. us Christians are modern day Essenes.

posted on Oct, 3 2011 @ 12:55 AM
link   
reply to post by lonewolf19792000

I told you, you wouldn't understand. And yet! I still know what your saying but it dosen't belong with what I'm saying to you.

posted on Oct, 3 2011 @ 09:54 AM
link   

Originally posted by Human4life

I told you, you wouldn't understand. And yet! I still know what your saying but it dosen't belong with what I'm saying to you.

I don't believe there is any sin involved in donating a kidney or being an organ donor when you die. This body is not going to be the body that houses us when we leave this world and go to heaven. We are given new bodies that do not die, like the angels. The old bodies pass away and are destroyed, for they cannot stand in the presence of God because they are defiled and corrupted.

The only religion i have ever heard of that needed the bodies organs to be resurrected is the ancient Egyptian religion of the pagan gods like Anubis, Osiris and Isis and Horus, and God has proven many times he is far more powerful than they were. What happens to your body in this world has no effect of bearing on what happens to you in heaven. God is not going to send you to hell for donating a kidney or donating blood. Making these kinds of donations are an act of love and an act of self sacrifice, Jesus is not going to send you to hell for sacrificing yourself to help others, you are doing his will.

posted on Oct, 3 2011 @ 10:15 AM
link   

Originally posted by jmdewey60

Really? I seem to remember Jesus saying "I am come, not to do away with the Old Law (OT), but to fulfill it". Stop preaching lies. John the Baptist said Jesus was the living Word made flesh. The Word of God was the bible, or OT the Old Law. Jesus was the Living Law.
No you do not.
You probably remember hearing someone say that, but not Jesus. A preacher, probably, who was presenting his own theory about God and Jesus.

Matthew 5: 17-18 "Do not think that I have come to abolish the Law or the Prophets; I have not come to abolish them but to fulfill them. I tell you the truth, until heaven and earth disappear, not the smallest letter, not the least stroke of a pen, will by any means disappear from the Law until everything is accomplished." (Jesus speaking in red text)

Right there buddy. Put that in your pipe and smoke it.

not the least stroke of a pen, will by any means disappear from the Law until everything is accomplished."

What this means? Is until the very end on Judgement Day, the law shall be accomplished and until that time is appointed to come to pass, we to this day are still held by the laws of God.

If you think you do not have to obey God's laws to this day then you are wrong and you decieve yourself by believing that lie and you shoould repent.

posted on Oct, 3 2011 @ 10:33 AM
link   

Two things I was objecting to; one being this philosophy that somehow John the Baptist wrote the Gospel of John, second, you added a part not in the verse, "the Old Law (OT)". Jesus never threw in words like that, or say , 'The Law of Moses' when he was talking about the law not being done away with. The OT Law obviously was done away with, so he (equally obviously) was talking about another law that is a fundamental law which the old written law was based on.
Matthew 24:35
Heaven and earth will pass away, but my words will never pass away.

edit on 3-10-2011 by jmdewey60 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 3 2011 @ 10:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by jmdewey60

Two things I was objecting to; one being this philosophy that somehow John the Baptist wrote the Gospel of John, second, you added a part not in the verse, "the Old Law (OT)". Jesus never threw in words like that, or say , 'The Law of Moses' when he was talking about the law not being done away with. The OT Law obviously was done away with, so he (equally obviously) was talking about another law that is a fundamental law which the old written law was based on.
Matthew 24:35
Heaven and earth will pass away, but my words will never pass away.

To what law do you refer too? The Old Law is the law of Moses as was given by God. John didn't write his own gospel his two disciples that joined Jesus did, Simon Peter and Andrew because they were there when Jesus came to be baptised by immersion. There was only one Law as according to the Jewish faith and this was proscribed by Moses. The words Jesus preached were the laws in the OT, he came to show men how to live by God's law by being a living example because the pharisees and sadducess were bungling the law because they were living God's laws as according to man. This was why when he saw money changers and money lenders and gambling going on in the temple he got pissed off and kicked their tables over and rebuked them.

posted on Oct, 3 2011 @ 11:13 AM
link   

To what law do you refer too? The Old Law is the law of Moses as was given by God. John didn't write his own gospel his two disciples that joined Jesus did, Simon Peter and Andrew because they were there when Jesus came to be baptised by immersion. There was only one Law as according to the Jewish faith and this was proscribed by Moses. The words Jesus preached were the laws in the OT, he came to show men how to live by God's law by being a living example because the pharisees and sadducess were bungling the law because they were living God's laws as according to man. This was why when he saw money changers and money lenders and gambling going on in the temple he got pissed off and kicked their tables over and rebuked them
Wrong, two of John's disciple who heard him say, 'this is the one', were standing there when Jesus walked by the next day and said, 'Come'. One of the two was Andrew, who went off and found his brother, Peter. It does not name the second, who we are to assume was the author of the Gospel.
Jesus did not teach the Law of Moses and brought up bits of it to use as examples of where it was wrong. Saying it was the Pharisees interpreting the Law is a phony excuse because when Jesus contended with the Pharisees over the Law, he was talking about the actual law. Jesus does bring up some criticism of stuff apparently made up by them but that was part of a general condemnation of the Pharisees.

posted on Oct, 3 2011 @ 01:43 PM
link   
Jmdewey, how can you just ignore all the proof that OT law is to be followed today? It's like you just dismiss it, and then come up with CRAZY ASS out of the BLUE claims that the OT God isn't God?

posted on Oct, 3 2011 @ 01:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by graphuto
Jmdewey, how can you just ignore all the proof that OT law is to be followed today? It's like you just dismiss it, and then come up with CRAZY ASS out of the BLUE claims that the OT God isn't God?
By not listening to people promoting theories and philosophy, and reading the Bible myself.

posted on Oct, 3 2011 @ 01:56 PM
link   
But you promote one of the biggest! That since Jesus died, we no longer have to follow the commandments? Let's go tit for tat with scripture to back that up, and I'll lay out the scripture that says we DO have to follow the commandments.

posted on Oct, 3 2011 @ 02:09 PM
link   
reply to post by graphuto

Something I figured you were going to do sooner or later.

posted on Oct, 3 2011 @ 02:12 PM
link   
So you can't back up what you're preaching and teaching with scripture, and you had the revelation that you figured I would? As if it's out of context or something? You could use a not so condescending tone when in these threads, also.

posted on Oct, 3 2011 @ 02:18 PM
link   
reply to post by graphuto

I'm saying it is not there, so there is nothing to back up.
You say it is there. so it is only you.
Or you can choose to walk away and let my claim stand unchallenged.

posted on Oct, 3 2011 @ 02:39 PM
link   
This guy explains it so much better than I can.

www.yah-tube.com...
edit on 3-10-2011 by graphuto because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 3 2011 @ 02:49 PM
link   
The pattern for righteousness has been the same since the beginning: FOLLOW GOD'S COMMANDMENTS!

What is sin? Disobedience to God.

Mark 7:9
He was also saying to them, “You are experts at setting aside the commandment of God in order to keep your tradition.
Mark 7:8-10 (in Context) Mark 7 (Whole Chapter)

Mark 10:5
But Jesus said to them, “ Because of your hardness of heart he wrote you this commandment.
Mark 10:4-6 (in Context) Mark 10 (Whole Chapter)

Mark 10:19
You know the commandments, ‘ DO NOT MURDER, DO NOT COMMIT ADULTERY, DO NOT STEAL, DO NOT BEAR FALSE WITNESS, Do not defraud, HONOR YOUR FATHER AND MOTHER.’”
Mark 10:18-20 (in Context) Mark 10 (Whole Chapter)

Mark 12:28
One of the scribes came and heard them arguing, and recognizing that He had answered them well, asked Him, “What commandment is the foremost of all?”
Mark 12:27-29 (in Context) Mark 12 (Whole Chapter)

Mark 12:31
The second is this, ‘ YOU SHALL LOVE YOUR NEIGHBOR AS YOURSELF.’ There is no other commandment greater than these.”
Mark 12:30-32 (in Context) Mark 12 (Whole Chapter)

Luke 1:6
They were both righteous in the sight of God, walking blamelessly in all the commandments and requirements of the Lord.
Luke 1:5-7 (in Context) Luke 1 (Whole Chapter)

Luke 18:20
You know the commandments, ‘ DO NOT COMMIT ADULTERY, DO NOT MURDER, DO NOT STEAL, DO NOT BEAR FALSE WITNESS, HONOR YOUR FATHER AND MOTHER.’”
Luke 18:19-21 (in Context) Luke 18 (Whole Chapter)

Luke 23:56
Then they returned and prepared spices and perfumes. And on the Sabbath they rested according to the commandment.
Luke 23:55-56 (in Context) Luke 23 (Whole Chapter)

John 10:18
No one has taken it away from Me, but I lay it down on My own initiative. I have authority to lay it down, and I have authority to take it up again. This commandment I received from My Father.”
John 10:17-19 (in Context) John 10 (Whole Chapter)

John 12:49
For I did not speak on My own initiative, but the Father Himself who sent Me has given Me a commandment as to what to say and what to speak.
John 12:48-50 (in Context) John 12 (Whole Chapter)

John 12:50
I know that His commandment is eternal life; therefore the things I speak, I speak just as the Father has told Me.”
John 12:49-50 (in Context) John 12 (Whole Chapter)

John 13:34
A new commandment I give to you, that you love one another, even as I have loved you, that you also love one another.
John 13:33-35 (in Context) John 13 (Whole Chapter)

John 14:15
“ If you love Me, you will keep My commandments.
John 14:14-16 (in Context) John 14 (Whole Chapter)

John 14:21
He who has My commandments and keeps them is the one who loves Me; and he who loves Me will be loved by My Father, and I will love him and will disclose Myself to him.”
John 14:20-22 (in Context) John 14 (Whole Chapter)

John 15:10
If you keep My commandments, you will abide in My love; just as I have kept My Father’s commandments and abide in His love.
John 15:9-11 (in Context) John 15 (Whole Chapter)

John 15:12
[ Disciples’ Relation to Each Other ] “This is My commandment, that you love one another, just as I have loved you.
John 15:11-13 (in Context) John 15 (Whole Chapter)

Romans 7:8
But sin, taking opportunity through the commandment, produced in me coveting of every kind; for apart from the Law sin is dead.
Romans 7:7-9 (in Context) Romans 7 (Whole Chapter)

Romans 7:9
I was once alive apart from the Law; but when the commandment came, sin became alive and I died;
Romans 7:8-10 (in Context) Romans 7 (Whole Chapter)

Romans 7:10
and this commandment, which was to result in life, proved to result in death for me;
Romans 7:9-11 (in Context) Romans 7 (Whole Chapter)

Romans 7:11
for sin, taking an opportunity through the commandment, deceived me and through it killed me.
Romans 7:10-12 (in Context) Romans 7 (Whole Chapter)

Romans 7:12
So then, the Law is holy, and the commandment is holy and righteous and good.
Romans 7:11-13 (in Context) Romans 7 (Whole Chapter)

Romans 7:13
Therefore did that which is good become a cause of death for me? May it never be! Rather it was sin, in order that it might be shown to be sin by effecting my death through that which is good, so that through the commandment sin would become utterly sinful.
Romans 7:12-14 (in Context) Romans 7 (Whole Chapter)

Romans 13:9
For this, “ YOU SHALL NOT COMMIT ADULTERY, YOU SHALL NOT MURDER, YOU SHALL NOT STEAL, YOU SHALL NOT COVET,” and if there is any other commandment, it is summed up in this saying, “ YOU SHALL LOVE YOUR NEIGHBOR AS YOURSELF.”
Romans 13:8-10 (in Context) Romans 13 (Whole Chapter)

Romans 16:26
but now is manifested, and by the Scriptures of the prophets, according to the commandment of the eternal God, has been made known to all the nations, leading to obedience of faith;
Romans 16:25-27 (in Context) Romans 16 (Whole Chapter)

1 Corinthians 7:19
Circumcision is nothing, and uncircumcision is nothing, but what matters is the keeping of the commandments of God.
1 Corinthians 7:18-20 (in Context) 1 Corinthians 7 (Whole Chapter)

posted on Oct, 3 2011 @ 02:51 PM
link   
Genesis 26:5
because Abraham obeyed Me and kept My charge, My commandments, My statutes and My laws.”
Genesis 26:4-6 (in Context) Genesis 26 (Whole Chapter)

Exodus 15:26
And He said, “ If you will give earnest heed to the voice of the LORD your God, and do what is right in His sight, and give ear to His commandments, and keep all His statutes, I will put none of the diseases on you which I have put on the Egyptians; for I, the LORD, am your healer.”
Exodus 15:25-27 (in Context) Exodus 15 (Whole Chapter)

Exodus 16:28
Then the LORD said to Moses, “ How long do you refuse to keep My commandments and My instructions?
Exodus 16:27-29 (in Context) Exodus 16 (Whole Chapter)

1 Kings 2:3
Keep the charge of the LORD your God, to walk in His ways, to keep His statutes, His commandments, His ordinances, and His testimonies, according to what is written in the Law of Moses, that you may succeed in all that you do and wherever you turn,
1 Kings 2:2-4 (in Context) 1 Kings 2 (Whole Chapter)

1 Kings 3:14
If you walk in My ways, keeping My statutes and commandments, as your father David walked, then I will prolong your days.”
1 Kings 3:13-15 (in Context) 1 Kings 3 (Whole Chapter)
1 Kings 6:12
“Concerning this house which you are building, if you will walk in My statutes and execute My ordinances and keep all My commandments by walking in them, then I will carry out My word with you which I spoke to David your father.
1 Kings 6:11-13 (in Context) 1 Kings 6 (Whole Chapter)

1 Kings 8:58
that He may incline our hearts to Himself, to walk in all His ways and to keep His commandments and His statutes and His ordinances, which He commanded our fathers.
1 Kings 8:57-59 (in Context) 1 Kings 8 (Whole Chapter)

1 Kings 8:61
Let your heart therefore be wholly devoted to the LORD our God, to walk in His statutes and to keep His commandments, as at this day.”
1 Kings 8:60-62 (in Context) 1 Kings 8 (Whole Chapter)

1 Kings 9:6
“ But if you or your sons indeed turn away from following Me, and do not keep My commandments and My statutes which I have set before you, and go and serve other gods and worship them,
1 Kings 9:5-7 (in Context) 1 Kings 9 (Whole Chapter)

1 Kings 11:34
Nevertheless I will not take the whole kingdom out of his hand, but I will make him ruler all the days of his life, for the sake of My servant David whom I chose, who observed My commandments and My statutes;
1 Kings 11:33-35 (in Context) 1 Kings 11 (Whole Chapter)

1 Kings 11:38
Then it will be, that if you listen to all that I command you and walk in My ways, and do what is right in My sight by observing My statutes and My commandments, as My servant David did, then I will be with you and build you an enduring house as I built for David, and I will give Israel to you.
1 Kings 11:37-39 (in Context) 1 Kings 11 (Whole Chapter)

1 Kings 13:21
and he cried to the man of God who came from Judah, saying, “Thus says the LORD, ‘Because you have disobeyed the command of the LORD, and have not observed the commandment which the LORD your God commanded you,
1 Kings 13:20-22 (in Context) 1 Kings 13 (Whole Chapter)

1 Kings 14:8
and tore the kingdom away from the house of David and gave it to you— yet you have not been like My servant David, who kept My commandments and who followed Me with all his heart, to do only that which was right in My sight;
1 Kings 14:7-9 (in Context) 1 Kings 14 (Whole Chapter)

1 Kings 18:18
He said, “I have not troubled Israel, but you and your father’s house have, because you have forsaken the commandments of the LORD and you have followed the Baals.
1 Kings 18:17-19 (in Context) 1 Kings 18 (Whole Chapter)

2 Kings 17:13
Yet the LORD warned Israel and Judah through all His prophets and every seer, saying, “ Turn from your evil ways and keep My commandments, My statutes according to all the law which I commanded your fathers, and which I sent to you through My servants the prophets.”
2 Kings 17:12-14 (in Context) 2 Kings 17 (Whole Chapter)

posted on Oct, 3 2011 @ 02:55 PM
link   
reply to post by jmdewey60

Jesus does not recuse us from following the old law. I am sorry to dissappoint you, but he does not. Jesus was a practicing jew, and jews practiced the Old Law. The only thing he changed was that instead of having to have sin sacrifices to cover our sins, he provided the ultimate sacrifice so that we would no longer need to sacrifice animals to pay our blood debt.

But by all respects we are to still follow his commandments...THE commandments, You shall not murder, you shall not bear false witness (lie), you shall not have any other gods before me, you shall not covet your neighbors wife etc. All those commandments are still very applicable today and shall not be done away with until the Law is fully accomplished upon Judgement Day. This is why Jesus said "i have not come to do away with the Old Law or change it, but to fulfill it". By stating otherwise you are preaching false doctrine. God's laws are iron clad from beginning till end by the alpha and omega.

posted on Oct, 3 2011 @ 03:03 PM
link   
Malachi 4:4
“ Remember the law of Moses My servant, even the statutes and ordinances which I commanded him in Horeb for all Israel.
Malachi 4:3-5 (in Context) Malachi 4 (Whole Chapter)

Matthew 5:17
“Do not think that I came to abolish the Law or the Prophets; I did not come to abolish but to fulfill.
Matthew 5:16-18 (in Context) Matthew 5 (Whole Chapter)

Matthew 5:18
For truly I say to you, until heaven and earth pass away, not the smallest letter or stroke shall pass from the Law until all is accomplished.
Matthew 5:17-19 (in Context) Matthew 5 (Whole Chapter)

Matthew 7:12
“In everything, therefore, treat people the same way you want them to treat you, for this is the Law and the Prophets.
Matthew 7:11-13 (in Context) Matthew 7 (Whole Chapter)

Matthew 7:23
And then I will declare to them, ‘I never knew you; DEPART FROM ME, YOU WHO PRACTICE LAWLESSNESS.’
Matthew 7:22-24 (in Context) Matthew 7 (Whole Chapter)

Matthew 13:41
The Son of Man will send forth His angels, and they will gather out of His kingdom all stumbling blocks, and those who commit lawlessness,
Matthew 13:40-42 (in Context) Matthew 13 (Whole Chapter)

Matthew 23:23
“ Woe to you, scribes and Pharisees, hypocrites! For you tithe mint and dill and cummin, and have neglected the weightier provisions of the law: justice and mercy and faithfulness; but these are the things you should have done without neglecting the others.
Matthew 23:22-24 (in Context) Matthew 23 (Whole Chapter)

Luke 2:22
And when the days for their purification according to the law of Moses were completed, they brought Him up to Jerusalem to present Him to the Lord
Luke 2:21-23 (in Context) Luke 2 (Whole Chapter)

posted on Oct, 3 2011 @ 03:07 PM
link   
Let's take it a bit further by seeing how exactly the law is still applicable. The two "NEW" commandments given by Jesus:

Love God with all your heart and soul.
Love your neighbor as yourself.

How can one profess to love God if they don't do what he says?

Remember the Sabbath, and keep it holy.

If you MURDER someone, how is that loving your neighbor as yourself?

If you maliciously lie about someone, how is that loving your neighbor as yourself?

If you don't honor your father and mother, how are you loving your neighbor as yourself?

If you covet (which is a stronger word than merely wanting) your neighbors goods, house, or wife, how are you loving your neighbor as yourself?

posted on Oct, 3 2011 @ 03:12 PM
link   
Even better here, that Jesus was sent to the "lost sheep of the house of Israel."

We know that the house of Israel was divided between the House of Judah(2 tribes) and the House of Jacob(the other 10 tribes, who were scattered across the world)

The purpose is to get all those other 10 tribes and their sojourners back into a reunited House of Israel, which follows all the laws of God.

The olive tree (House of Judah) and the wild olive tree (House of Jacob). The wild olive tree is to be grafted into the main olive tree.

Also, in the millennial reign of Jesus, we will certainly observe the feasts/laws etc.

So, they followed the law of Moses all the way through till around the time of Jesus, and then for some reason thought that Jesus somehow did away with the law, even though he is just going to bring it right back in the end.

YOUR POSITION DOESN'T MAKE BIBLICAL SENSE!

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join