It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is Mercury really this big compared to the Sun?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 30 2011 @ 06:43 PM
link   
stereo.ssl.berkeley.edu...

Ironically Elenin is supposed to be in the same spot.

astrobob.areavoices.com...

Now I am on the fence with this whole Elenin thing but I just seem to recall seeing Mercury cruise by and being much smaller than this image.

Thoughts. Thank you in advance for your knowledge on the subject.

posted on Sep, 30 2011 @ 06:51 PM
link   
Your links are broken

posted on Sep, 30 2011 @ 06:55 PM
link   
reply to post by outandopen

Fairly certain that's some sort of enhancement to show Mercury more clearly. Though I could be mistaken. That sort of photography is not something I'm all that familiar with...

Edit to add: Links working for me.
edit on 9/30/2011 by seagull because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 30 2011 @ 06:55 PM
link   
If it was they would tell you that it wasnt, and if it werent, they would tell you it was

posted on Sep, 30 2011 @ 07:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by outandopen
Is Mercury really this big compared to the Sun?

The brightness of mercury is overloading the sensors there.
A better way to see the relatives sizes is to look for images of the "transit of mercury" against the sun.

edit on 30-9-2011 by alfa1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 30 2011 @ 07:15 PM
link   
You made another Elenin reference? Even still? Wow, I'm impressed... that takes some balls around here. Lmao.

posted on Sep, 30 2011 @ 07:18 PM
link   
After I saw that piture of Mercurys transit all I could think of was, how horrible the view from mercury would be. The Sun would take up the entire sky!! Even if you could sheild your self to the heat, the light would be unbarable.

posted on Sep, 30 2011 @ 07:37 PM
link   
reply to post by Talltexxxan

The luminosity of the sun would definitely blind you, but it would not take up much of the sky.
To give you an example, were Earth 1 AU from the surface of VY Canis Majoris (the largest star in the known universe) VY Canis Majoris would only cover something like 11% of the sky (which is still utterly HUGE, but not as large as you'd think)

To give you an example of how large VY Canis Majoris is (Earth would be closer than the sun in this image if it were 1 AU from VYCMa)

edit on 30/9/11 by SpongeBeard because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 30 2011 @ 07:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by iunlimited491
You made another Elenin reference? Even still? Wow, I'm impressed... that takes some balls around here. Lmao.

I wasn't made aware that Anything was "off-limits" on this site. Nope. Didn't get the memo. Wait, lemme just chck my messages... Nope. The way I thought it worked was, if an idea pops in your head, you can post it. No more qualifications needed. I have an idea, how about you go write a book on how exactly we should live our lives, then we can all read, and then we can make it our #1 priority to do everything you want so you can have a perfect life. Because I just can't keep up with people like you...

All the sudden, it takes balls to mention something that's on your mind? So I'm guessing your book will be something akin to 1984 then? With some kind of spin, hopefully? Since a lot of us already know how that one ends... Alright, well, you get to work on that book so everyone can stop disappointing you, and I will prepare to live in the dark, mindcontrolled, total policestate complete with thoughtcrimes that is your mind. Thank you for the enlightenment! If only everyone could be as "awake" as you are.
"Sure, we can talk about anything, but as soon as a certain number of people decide they don't think a certain topic should be talked about anymore, the other portion of people must not talk about it either. They must bend their own will as if to a king or dictatorship."

Sounds like the PERFECT form of government to Me!
Who's with me??

edit on 30-9-2011 by ZackMorris because: Paragraphs are easy, paragraphs are fun! And they're even better when theres more of them than one!

posted on Sep, 30 2011 @ 07:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by ZackMorris

I wasn't made aware that Anything was "off-limits" on this site. Nope. Didn't get the memo. Wait, lemme just chck my messages... Nope. The way I thought it worked was, if an idea pops in your head, you can post it. No more qualifications needed. I have an idea, how about you go write a book on how exactly we should live our lives, then we can all read, and then we can make it our #1 priority to do everything you want so you can have a perfect life. Because I just can't keep up with people like you. All the sudden, it takes balls to mention something that's on your mind? So I'm guessing your book will be something akin to 1984 then? With some kind of spin, hopefully? Since a lot of us already know how that one ends... Alright, well, you get to work on that book so everyone can stop disappointing you, and I will prepare to live in the dark, mindcontrolled, total policestate complete with thoughtcrimes that is your mind. Thank you for the enlightenment! If only everyone could be as "awake" as you are.
"Sure, we can talk about anything, but as soon as a certain number of people decide they don't think a certain topic should be talked about anymore, the other portion of people must not talk about it either. They must bend their own will as if to a king or dictatorship."

Who's with me??

so you mad huh?
and elenin references are getting to be more annoying then anything... they should be cut down or a whole forum should be created for the people who want to post the word elenin in every thread
edit on 30-9-2011 by Bonkrh because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 30 2011 @ 07:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by 8ILlBILl8
Your links are broken

So's Elenin

posted on Sep, 30 2011 @ 08:05 PM
link   
reply to post by ZackMorris

Elenin is gone mate....it is an ex-comet......it is deceased....it is not sleeping.......it is as dead as a Norwegian Blue!

posted on Sep, 30 2011 @ 08:11 PM
link   

I wasn't made aware that Anything was "off-limits" on this site. Nope. Didn't get the memo. Wait, lemme just chck my messages... Nope. The way I thought it worked was, if an idea pops in your head, you can post it. No more qualifications needed. I have an idea, how about you go write a book on how exactly we should live our lives, then we can all read, and then we can make it our #1 priority to do everything you want so you can have a perfect life. Because I just can't keep up with people like you...

All the sudden, it takes balls to mention something that's on your mind? So I'm guessing your book will be something akin to 1984 then? With some kind of spin, hopefully? Since a lot of us already know how that one ends... Alright, well, you get to work on that book so everyone can stop disappointing you, and I will prepare to live in the dark, mindcontrolled, total policestate complete with thoughtcrimes that is your mind. Thank you for the enlightenment! If only everyone could be as "awake" as you are.

Who's with me??

edit on 30-9-2011 by ZackMorris because: Paragraphs are easy, paragraphs are fun! And they're even better when theres more of them than one!

from

"The planets are moving as is the sun. The bunching of them changes — a little tighter, a little looser — but they won’t be lining up anytime soon. Even if they did, they will have no adverse or otherwise noticeable effect on Earth. Oct. 15-16 is the date of Comet Elenin’s closest approach to Earth — a healthy 22 million miles."

unquote

So what was Comet Elenins final,, orbit,,
as in the case of Haileys Comet,,
scientists were able too calculate ,,in 100%, certitude,, Halleys Comets orbit was
??? number of years.

my question is "are Scientists able to give an uncontested,,
"Elinin's Orbit has been verified as,,,,, ???? years.

are they capable,,yet too determine,, elinin orbit,, or is it STILL,, to uncertain.?

my question since 2010.
Still not answered.

maybe it cant be,, who knows.

yea,,nasa,,u have come so far in space exploration,,that i think u all thought u were able too handle the complexity of our Galaxy,,and got a wee bit,, scared.

they looked into the Universe,,, and it blinked

posted on Sep, 30 2011 @ 08:11 PM
link   
reply to post by Bonkrh

I didn't say "Elenin". I just quoted iunlimited who said "Elenin" when he referenced the fact that the OP referenced Elenin. And no, I'm not mad at all. Couldn't be farther from it! I was just having a little fun is all. But, what's fun to me may not be fun to you, so, I understand. Although, I am a little confused because i never once said I was mad. Was it because I challenged iunlimited and forced him/her to push his/her boundaries a little further and refine their way of thinking and of treating fellow humans? I'm sorry if you or anyone misconstrued that for anger. Or perhaps you meant "mad" in the sense that I'm kinda Mentally Disturbed. In that case, you would be correct. I am quite mad indeed. However I fail to see what that has to do with anything...???

posted on Sep, 30 2011 @ 08:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by BobAthome

Who's with me??

from

"The planets are moving as is the sun. The bunching of them changes — a little tighter, a little looser — but they won’t be lining up anytime soon. Even if they did, they will have no adverse or otherwise noticeable effect on Earth. Oct. 15-16 is the date of Comet Elenin’s closest approach to Earth — a healthy 22 million miles."

unquote

So what was Comet Elenins final,, orbit,,
as in the case of Haileys Comet,,
scientists were able too calculate ,,in 100%, certitude,, Halleys Comets orbit was
??? number of years.

my question is "are Scientists able to give an uncontested,,
"Elinin's Orbit has been verified as,,,,, ???? years.

are they capable,,yet too determine,, elinin orbit,, or is it STILL,, to uncertain.?

my question since 2010.
Still not answered.

maybe it cant be,, who knows.

yea,,nasa,,u have come so far in space exploration,,that i think u all thought u were able too handle the complexity of our Galaxy,,and got a wee bit,, scared.

they looked into the Universe,,, and it blinked

Actually, strangely enough, I think I heard that Elenins orbit was 3,600 years, exactly the orbit of the infamous planet everybody loves to hate, "Nibiru"... I guess that was one of the "flashpoints" that got everybody started in believing it was doom related. Me personally, I always keep an open mind, as I think its rather arrogant to assume we actually "know" jack squat. Look what just happened with the theory of relativity! How many people over the years argued and called eachother idiots over THAT. Now look who the real idiots are. Not the ones who kept an open mind and said "well MAYBE this could be possible...and MAYBE not. Maybe I'm right, maybe I'm wrong. Mayne youre right, maybe youre wrong.". The most important thing is to have an open arena of discussion, and if someone is talking about something you dont agree with or aren't interested in, then guess what, you can choose whether or not you'd like to engage in a discussion with that person.

posted on Sep, 30 2011 @ 08:31 PM
link   

I think I heard that Elenins orbit was 3,600 years,

I think I heard,,,,,,here we go again,,,

3,600 years, would be 1589 B.C

judge for yourself.

posted on Sep, 30 2011 @ 08:39 PM
link   

Actually, strangely enough, I think I heard that Elenins orbit was 3,600 years, exactly the orbit of the infamous planet everybody loves to hate, "Nibiru".

You probably did read that somewhere.
The nutjobs that spread comet Elenin hysteria certainly invented a lot of lies to spread fear and doom.
And it seemed to work.

The *ACTUAL* orbit of comet Elenin had *NEVER* been calculated to be 3600 years.
HERE for example, is a message posting from December, only a few weeks after it was discovered, well before the lunatics got of hold of it, where it is clearly stated

e 1.0
meaning that it is a hyperbolic orbit.
That is, this is its first and only pass through our solar system.

That number hasnt really changed.

posted on Sep, 30 2011 @ 09:38 PM
link   
reply to post by alfa1

Thank you for clearing that up for me. I did not know that. Well, at least we won't have to go through this whole ELEnin thing again. Unless they name a comet, asteroid, hurricane, etc., something that has Ele in it somewhere lol... Maybe I should be afraid of ELEvators, ELEmentary schools (as well as Sherlock Holmes for that matter), and ELEvations... Except I'm afraid we can't avoid that last one. No matter where you are at on this planet, you will always be at one ELEvation or another, so... You can run, but You Can't Hide!

posted on Sep, 30 2011 @ 09:39 PM
link   
Thanks to Alfa for the picture of Mercury transiting the sun, that does indeed give a much better representation of the size of Mercury.

I wasn't made aware that Anything was "off-limits" on this site. Nope. Didn't get the memo. Wait, lemme just chck my messages... Nope. The way I thought it worked was, if an idea pops in your head, you can post it.
There is the site motto which is two words long.

I'll give you a hint.

"Deny _________" Do you know what goes in the blank?

I suppose that you can post anything that pops into your head, even if it is described by the blank, but the site motto is to deny it when it happens. So If and when you choose to do that, don't be surprised when the site members reply according to the site motto. OK?

So perhaps you missed the site motto. Look a little harder!
I'll even help you out:

www.abovetopsecret.com...

edit on 30-9-2011 by Arbitrageur because: clarification

posted on Sep, 30 2011 @ 10:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by BobAthome

I think I heard that Elenins orbit was 3,600 years,

I think I heard,,,,,,here we go again,,,

3,600 years, would be 1589 B.C

judge for yourself.

OK I can't take it any more.... One button to the right please...

Anyways all the elenin talk was
... Now... it's
*looks at signature*

top topics

<<   2 >>

join