It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Moon Landing and the Earth's Magnetotail

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 30 2011 @ 07:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by Phage
reply to post by kalunom

Because they never experienced the magnetotail while they were on the Moon's surface?

Isn't that the point of the statement?

No one can say for sure what happens on the moon when the magnetotail hits, because no one has been there at the crucial time. “Apollo astronauts never landed on a full moon and they never experienced the magnetotail.”

edit on 9/30/2011 by Phage because: (no reason given)

To think that something as huge as this magnetotail extending it's way through space from Earth to the Moon would conform to a time scale down to that 8.5 hrs you pointed out, is, to me, far fetched.

Saying that they never experienced the magnetotail without knowing the effects (or lack of effects) of the magnetotail is inaccurate.

posted on Sep, 30 2011 @ 07:46 PM
link   

reply to post by kalunom

And, it's three days before and three days after for a total of six days in the tail.

This is correct, not sure where I managed to extrapolate 3 before and 6 after...that mistake I will acknowledge.

posted on Sep, 30 2011 @ 08:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by kalunom

reply to post by kalunom

And, it's three days before and three days after for a total of six days in the tail.

This is correct, not sure where I managed to extrapolate 3 before and 6 after...that mistake I will acknowledge.

Well you are both partially wrong..

. “The moon enters the magnetotail three days before it is full and takes about six days to cross and exit on the other side.”
It is during those six days that strange things can happen.

Also note they say "about"...How accurate that is is anyone's guess..

posted on Sep, 30 2011 @ 08:24 PM
link   
reply to post by backinblack

That word "about" is key. They may have been on the moon whilst the magnetotail was in effect OR they may not have been. NASA lays claim that they were not when this can clearly not be proven. Why would they make that claim?

Are they making up a story? That is my question of this thread.

posted on Sep, 30 2011 @ 08:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by syrinx high priest

Originally posted by kalunom

No one can say for sure what happens on the moon when the magnetotail hits, because no one has been there at the crucial time. “Apollo astronauts never landed on a full moon and they never experienced the magnetotail.”

This second EVA was on November 20, 1969. Three days before the full moon of November 23, 1969.

Why does NASA state that no astronaut has been on the moon when this has occurred?

because it was 3 days before ?

maybe I'm not following your post, just throwing it out there

Your obviously not.

Magnetosphere forms 3 days prior to Full Moon and lasts 6 days. They took off 3 days before....It takes like 3 days to get to moon. THEY WERE ON THE MOON DURING THE MAGNETOSPHERE , yet NASA said nobody has ever been up there during it.

So they are at least lying about something one way or another.

posted on Sep, 30 2011 @ 08:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by Talltexxxan
Maybe the interaction the moon has with the Earth as it is in the magnetotail is noticeable.
Arnt there stories dating back many centuries stating that during the full moon, werid things happen. Its already been shown that the magnetosphere can effect us mentaly.

Could the story of the man turning into an animal during a full moon, just be a way someone explained how people were feeling?

We're calm for most of the month, and during those few days, we feel animalistic for some reason.

Me thinks nasa could know more than they're saying (as usual) about the signifigance to the moon passing through our magnetotail.

That's it! Armstrong and Aldrin came back from the moon as werewolves!
2nd

posted on Sep, 30 2011 @ 08:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by LucidDreamer85

Your obviously not.

Magnetosphere forms 3 days prior to Full Moon and lasts 6 days. They took off 3 days before....It takes like 3 days to get to moon. THEY WERE ON THE MOON DURING THE MAGNETOSPHERE , yet NASA said nobody has ever been up there during it.

So they are at least lying about something one way or another.

keep reading

posted on Sep, 30 2011 @ 10:07 PM
link   
reply to post by kalunom

Saying that they never experienced the magnetotail without knowing the effects (or lack of effects) of the magnetotail is inaccurate.
What was said is that they were not there when the Moon entered the magnetotail. You are attempting to use this as a way of demonstrating that the Moon landings (or at least Apollo 12) did not happen.

From the OP:

Now, according to the information provided above, the moon ought to have been in the Earth's magnetotail (albeit just entering it) at this time. Why does NASA state that no astronaut has been on the moon when this has occurred?

Just another question for this conspiracy I considered quite dead.
According to the information you provided, they were not on the Moon when it entered the magnetotail. You did not look at the data closely enough. According to the information you provided, the statement is accurate.

Now you seem to be backpedaling and saying "well, how do they know they weren't in it if they don't know what the effects would be?" Are you backing off from the claim that the landings were hoaxed now and saying that Apollo 12 was on the Moon when it entered the magnetotail? Or are just going into a circular argument for the hell of it? Are you saying that they may have been exposed to the magnetotail but just weren't aware of it? If that's the case, they must have been there. Right?

posted on Oct, 1 2011 @ 12:52 AM
link   

The dark side of the moon seems to surge 1 kilovolt into a negative charge.
They anticipate that particles will actually rise up and flow to the light side,
while voltage is transfered to the dark side.

I enjoyed learning the above information this evening.

This is a great thread!

David Grouchy

posted on Oct, 1 2011 @ 02:41 AM
link   

Spring Tides

When the moon is full or new, the gravitational pull of the moon and sun are combined. At these times, the high tides are very high and the low tides are very low. This is known as a spring high tide. Spring tides are especially strong tides (they do not have anything to do with the season Spring). They occur when the Earth, the Sun, and the Moon are in a line. The gravitational forces of the Moon and the Sun both contribute to the tides. Spring tides occur during the full moon and the new moon.

hiwaay.net / moon tides

I wonder if there is any connection between this phenomena of the plasma sheath
and the earths tides. The tides also happen during the new moon.
Does the Moon have a Magnetotail that crosses the earth?

In otherwords does magnetohydrodynamics play a
larger role in the bluge of the oceans
than previously given credit for?

David Grouchy
edit on 1-10-2011 by davidgrouchy because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 1 2011 @ 07:45 AM
link   
reply to post by Phage

Are you saying that they may have been exposed to the magnetotail but just weren't aware of it? If that's the case, they must have been there. Right?

That is half of what I am saying. The other half is that they may not have been exposed to the magnetotail and, as with the above, may not have been aware of not being exposed. This is assuming they were actually on the moon, which I tend to believe.

Now, were they actually on the moon at such a crucial moment, just hours away from when this magnetotail is purported to be present, how can NASA say definitively that no astronaut has been on the moon when this phenomena occurred?

Saying this sounds, to me, like one covering the bases of a made-up story. Because were the astronauts there during said 6-day window...they would have all sorts of other questions to answer.

(I understand how this may sound like I am backpedaling or turning this into a circular argument, but that is not the case. You bring up points that force me to use a more exact/different wording. I think it's great and I hope you continue challenging me and others. I assure you I am not arguing for the sake of arguing, I genuinely think there is something to this story that seems fishy)
edit on 1-10-2011 by kalunom because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 1 2011 @ 08:35 AM
link   
reply to post by Phage

If the dust floats and blows around, on the surface then.........why are the Apollo tracks still there from pictures recently taken? Would not the tracks be covered up by now??? The trash left behind may have been effected by the electron neg discharge. How come it looks as if it has never been touched?
This info causes more questions for me.....

posted on Oct, 1 2011 @ 09:14 AM
link   
reply to post by hanyak69

Thank you for bringing this up!

This from the NASA link in the OP:

The ground, meanwhile, might leap into the sky. There’s growing evidence that fine particles of moondust might actually float, ejected from the lunar surface by electrostatic repulsion.

Everyone has heard of the undisturbed footprint right? Still there after all these full moons? Hmmm...

posted on Oct, 1 2011 @ 11:56 AM
link   
reply to post by kalunom

Either their theories are wrong or someone somewhere is making something up.
Just as the sentence above, it does not make any sense. lol

posted on Oct, 1 2011 @ 12:03 PM
link   
reply to post by hanyak69

This magnetotail seems to be stirring up more than just the dust on the moon. It's stirring up a new argument for the moon landing conspiracy.

This observation you bring up from the information provided in the link in the OP may well deserve it's own thread. If this megnetotail (seemingly a new piece of information for most) is capable of stirring up dust as is suspected, the footprints of Armstrong et.al. would surely be at least somewhat obscured after 40-plus years of full moons.

posted on Oct, 1 2011 @ 12:15 PM
link   
reply to post by kalunom

When reading the post it was the first question that came to mind.It is curious.

posted on Oct, 1 2011 @ 12:22 PM
link   
reply to post by kalunom

Run with it We can co sponser a thread.....
2nd

posted on Oct, 1 2011 @ 01:01 PM
link   
reply to post by kalunom

The lunar "dust storms" have been discussed here a few times. The fact is, as the article states, it is not really known if they occur or not. It is a subject of some controversy.

We will review the highly contrasting points of view regarding the ability of fine dust grains to become transported in the lunar environment. While Surveyor and Apollo camera images suggest the presence of a horizon glow that has been provocatively interpreted as levitated and/or lofted dust, there is contrasting geological evidence to indicate that surface regolith has not been moved in a substantial way. While electric forces have been suggested as a driver for grain dynamics, recent detailed modeling of near-surface non-monotonic potentials would suggests that small grains should not get to large heights. While lofting models require sub-micron grains to hold/contain 100’s of elementary charges, it can be shown analytically that a grain residing on a flat surface would have an extremely low probability of having even a single electron on its surface. Can these diametrically opposing viewpoints be reconciled? We will review the pros and cons on both sides, and suggest that the UVS and LDEX instrument on LADEE will provide key new insights on dust transport at the Moon.
lunarscience2011.arc.nasa.gov...

In any case these "dust storms" would be nothing like Earthly dust storms. The dust which would be lifted is very, very fine and in low amounts which would be spread over large areas. So, perhaps over thousands or millions of years the tracks left by the astronauts will be obscured, but not in only 42 years.

posted on Oct, 1 2011 @ 02:47 PM
link   

reply to post by kalunom

The lunar "dust storms" have been discussed here a few times. The fact is, as the article states, it is not really known if they occur or not. It is a subject of some controversy.

We will review the highly contrasting points of view regarding the ability of fine dust grains to become transported in the lunar environment. While Surveyor and Apollo camera images suggest the presence of a horizon glow that has been provocatively interpreted as levitated and/or lofted dust, there is contrasting geological evidence to indicate that surface regolith has not been moved in a substantial way. While electric forces have been suggested as a driver for grain dynamics, recent detailed modeling of near-surface non-monotonic potentials would suggests that small grains should not get to large heights. While lofting models require sub-micron grains to hold/contain 100’s of elementary charges, it can be shown analytically that a grain residing on a flat surface would have an extremely low probability of having even a single electron on its surface. Can these diametrically opposing viewpoints be reconciled? We will review the pros and cons on both sides, and suggest that the UVS and LDEX instrument on LADEE will provide key new insights on dust transport at the Moon.
lunarscience2011.arc.nasa.gov...

In any case these "dust storms" would be nothing like Earthly dust storms. The dust which would be lifted is very, very fine and in low amounts which would be spread over large areas. So, perhaps over thousands or millions of years the tracks left by the astronauts will be obscured, but not in only 42 years.

The same Mr. Stubbs credited in your above-linked article says in this article (also from 2008 as the one in the OP..so, I concede, may be a bit premature on his part):

Behold the full moon. Ancient craters and frozen lava seas lie motionless under an airless sky of profound quiet. It’s a serene, slow-motion world where even a human footprint may last millions of years. Nothing ever seems to happen there, right?

Wrong.

NASA-supported scientists have realized that something happens every month when the moon gets a lashing from Earth’s magnetic tail. “Earth’s magnetotail extends well beyond the orbit of the moon and, once a month, the moon orbits through it,” says Tim Stubbs, a University of Maryland scientist working at the Goddard Space Flight Center. “This can have consequences ranging from lunar ‘dust storms’ to electrostatic discharges.”

You are right though, that this is all still just speculation and claiming that the Apollo missions were faked requires more than just speculation. It is frustrating to me that there is not, as of yet, definitive data one way or the other on the severity or timidity of these 'dust storms'.

As is often the case with great conspiracy theories, there are holes that need filling. And when one tries to fill them, one finds that there is no clear and irrefutable data to be had.

Perhaps, Phage, since you seem to have so many sources known to you, you could dig up whether or not this static-charge from a magnetotail can remain on, or even build up on, the surface of the moon. Like walking across shag carpet, the charge stays with you until you touch something. Could this be so with the moon? When and how does it release it's static charge?

Thanks for the back-and-forth, it's all very interesting to me.

posted on Oct, 1 2011 @ 03:02 PM
link   
reply to post by kalunom

The possibility of electrostatic charges is closely looked at. But it's not so much the periodic effects at the terminator and passage through the magnetotail, those charges would be quite small. There is a much greater concern.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join