It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Jupiter's moons visible through binoculars

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 30 2011 @ 05:49 PM
link   
East of Patcham, north of the seafront, take a look at that bright star. It has been stationary for the last 1/2 hour. Very bright white light, throuh binoculars appears green/white with two faint lights extending out to the left. Absolutely no movement. My skeptic friend says geo stationary satellite, but I can see occasional flashing lights either side of the main beam, while he can't. (He wears glasses).

No explanation as of yet. Anyone else see it?

Edit - it is Jupiter and moons. Would still like to know what the air traffic over Brighton is though. Still ongoing, all travelling in the same direction and low altitude, about 1 every 5 mins.

edit on 30-9-2011 by akkad because: UFO id'ed

posted on Sep, 30 2011 @ 05:55 PM
link   
If it's high enough in the sky for other parts of the UK to see can you give us an idea of what direction to look?

Near any particular constilation etc?
edit on 30-9-2011 by Namaste1001 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 30 2011 @ 05:55 PM
link   
You have no camera in 2011?
5 year olds have cameras even.

posted on Sep, 30 2011 @ 06:01 PM
link   
I'm by Windsor and looking SE there is a very bright light/star with I think two little lights/stars immediately on its left and all in line.....Is this what you are seeing ?

posted on Sep, 30 2011 @ 06:01 PM
link   
It's probably Jupiter.. since it has "arms".. currently several jupiter moons are forming one line.
Check it out with Stellarium!

posted on Sep, 30 2011 @ 06:04 PM
link   
Its probably just an alien spacecraft, no biggie.

posted on Sep, 30 2011 @ 06:07 PM
link   
I think it's Venus.

It has been extremely bright lately and it does look like it's splitting in two, but maybe just an optical illusion?

posted on Sep, 30 2011 @ 06:11 PM
link   
Are you saying it is North of you, as in towards London from Brighton ? Because if so I am looking SE (possibly towards Dover) Which if right would put the object roughly above Tonbridge Wells ?????

posted on Sep, 30 2011 @ 06:20 PM
link   
Pretty sure its just a star/Planet, as it has risen in the sky since I've been watching it.

posted on Sep, 30 2011 @ 06:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by ken10
I'm by Windsor and looking SE there is a very bright light/star with I think two little lights/stars immediately on its left and all in line.....Is this what you are seeing ?

That is what I'm seeing, and you're looking in the right direction. Which means it must be a lot higher up than I thought.

As I'm looking at it, I see the "w" constellation, Cassiopea, and it's to the right about 20 degrees. Apparent height from looking at it's outline about 1000 feet. But if it's visible from Windsor then I don't know.

I was thinking advertsing blimp as I was looking at it a moment ago. Have also seen two shooting stars, one go vertical to the horizon, and another go shooting over my head. If not shooting stars, then a brief streak of light.

Sure is interesting in the sky tonight down here! If I run into a 5 year old I'll grab his camera and take some pics of an indistinct fuzz in the sky so I can get laughed at some more.

posted on Sep, 30 2011 @ 06:26 PM
link   

Pretty sure its just a star/Planet, as it has risen in the sky since I've been watching it.

Pretty sure it's not, going by the outline visible through binoculars, and also the flashes of light either side of it.

posted on Sep, 30 2011 @ 06:30 PM
link   
reply to post by akkad

Careful not to get abducted by, ahnn.. Jupiter.

posted on Sep, 30 2011 @ 06:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by akkad

Pretty sure it's not, going by the outline visible through binoculars, and also the flashes of light either side of it.

Well can you confirm its position from Brighton !

Is it NE from there, because it is SE from here....And if that is true then it cannot be a star/planet !!!

But if it is SE from your position too, then I would say a star or a planet.

posted on Sep, 30 2011 @ 06:52 PM
link   
reply to post by ken10

It's due East from where I am. But it has shifted south in the time I've been watching it, in line with the movement of the stars, therefore I going with Jupiter.

Which is still amazing, because it means that I've seen two moons of Jupiter through 40 x binos. Brightest object I've ever seen in the night sky.

Not too sorry for starting the thread, as it was so bright it was startling.

One other note of intrest is that about a dozen planes went past east to west at the same altitude and path over the last hour. Not the usual Gatwick airport traffic. Low altitude, north of Brighton. Lights were orange and red, guessing military or police.

Time to get a decent telescope, I think.

posted on Sep, 30 2011 @ 06:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by MysticEngineer
It's probably Jupiter.. since it has "arms".. currently several jupiter moons are forming one line.
Check it out with Stellarium!

Thanks for this post. Would never have figured it would be Jupiter and moons otherwise.

posted on Sep, 30 2011 @ 07:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by akkad
East of Patcham, north of the seafront, take a look at that bright star. It has been stationary for the last 1/2 hour. Very bright white light, throuh binoculars appears green/white with two faint lights extending out to the left. Absolutely no movement. My skeptic friend says geo stationary satellite, but I can see occasional flashing lights either side of the main beam, while he can't. (He wears glasses).

No explanation as of yet. Anyone else see it?

Pretty sure you are looking at Jupiter, and you are in a southerly perspective, Jupiter is rising and Eastish from your point of view.

posted on Sep, 30 2011 @ 10:00 PM
link   
This might be helpful , great program .

www.stellarium.org...

posted on Oct, 2 2011 @ 04:07 AM
link   
It is Jupiter indeed. I watched it several times with the telescope in my backyard. There are actually 4 moons visible. 3 on the right side and 1 on the left side.

new topics

top topics

join