It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Westpac bank giving me the run around on money they took from me.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 30 2011 @ 05:42 PM
link   
Hi everyone, only a few months ago I noticed something wrong with one of my bank statements. The Westpac Bank which is based in Australia if you didn't know, had taken money from my bank account, or the business where the money went to somehow did it without any knowledge of my bank number or account. Anyhow I obviously complained.

The amount was only $50, which I do not really care about, but that is besides the point. It is $50 I now do not have, and $50 that should not of been removed from my account, as the bank had no authorisation from me to take it, and the business it went to had never received a signature from me to take it from my account aswell. The business is a local gym, and I have never signed a contract with them, nor have I ever used the gym.

Anyway I decided to ring online banking and try to get my money back. The person on the other end was nice, helpful and told me the incident would be investigated, along with that also told me to wait a week for a letter in the mail to see what the outcome would be. I waited and no letter, so I let this go for a month or two just incase the letter may of been posted to a wrong address or something.

Nothing turned up so I decided to go down to my local bank and complain there aswell. The Lady asked me for a reference number from the previous call, and I simply told her the lady did not give me one over the phone. She rings the head office and to her and my surprise the helpful person who I rang first has not put the complaint through and their is no evidence I actually rang in the first place.

With that the lady at my local bank pretty much restarted the process and well, once again said wait a week and if you have not heard anything by the 27th September, come down or ring us. I heard nothing so decided to head down at lunch yesterday and find out what is going on. I gave her the reference number from the week before and she decides she has to ring the head office again. 20 minutes later she returns and says " I am being shafted from department to department, I need to get hold of a Manager to get this sorted out, I will give you a ring when this has happened". I simply said thanks and walked out of the bank.

I know this is a boring story and most of you may not even read this far, but this is how I see this situation and if anyone disagrees, please say so.

I like to think I am in control of my money, whether it is $50 or another amount. That money was unlawfully taken from my bank account and should be immediatly replaced. I was told the Bank were going to ring this gym and find out whether they had any signatures from me, which I know they have not, because this payment has only come out of my account once since it has been open.

The first phone call I made was on the 28th of June and this has not been sorted out since. Everytime I try to sort this out I get some bullsh!t excuse or get told I have to wait. The lady told me she was being shafted, Does that lady realise she is shafting a customer at the same time?

Now I have to wait once again for this moron to ring me back. How long will this take, could be forever from what I have seen over the past 3-4 months.

Is there any way I can fight this out of the bank or if anyone has had a similar problem, I would like to hear how you dealt with it. Maybe I am wasting my time with them, but seriously you wouldn't think it would be to hard to get an issue like this sorted out straight away. The evidence is there on my statement, and Im getting sick of being pushed around by people like this with my own money.

Thanks for taking the time if you did and I will leave you with the banks great motto "Risk is everybodys business"

Stay safe

posted on Sep, 30 2011 @ 06:22 PM
link   
It seems like you are going to have to threaten both the bank and the gym with legal action. It probably was the fault of the bank by mis-keying the bank account information somehow.

I would go to the gym with the proof that they took the money out of your account, such as a statement, and demand to have it rectified immediately or else you will sue for theft. Make a scene. Businesses hate that.

Also call the bank again and say that you are engaging the services of an attorney because they have given you the run-around, and that you won't hesitate to also give the story to the local newspapers so that people will know what a terrible bank they are.

I don't know if it'll work in Australia, but I have used these tactics in America, and when they hear that an attorney will be getting involved, they usually hop to it and fix the problem in a hurry. I tell them that my family has money and knows some ruthless, bloodthirsty attorneys, and if it comes to court action they will also be sued for damages. I have taken on Bank of America, Aetna insurance, and a gym that wouldn't stop taking money out of our account, and have gotten satisfaction each time. Being nice doesn't work in these cases.

Give 'em hell!

posted on Sep, 30 2011 @ 06:25 PM
link   
It sounds like this time you got an employee who understands and is doing her best to help you, and then you say "Now I have to wait once again for this moron to ring me back." You are the one who waited 2 months to take care of the problem, the least you can do now is be a little more patient while the only person who was willing to do something for you sorts it out and calls you back. If you were in such a hurry to take care of the problem maybe you could have acted sooner instead of insulting the one person who wants to help.

posted on Sep, 30 2011 @ 06:27 PM
link   
reply to post by FissionSurplus

Thanks for the advice, it has got to the point where I do want to take it further. I also know that $50 if not alot of money, but I have wondered who else has been through this situation with larger amounts of money. It does seem that the bank have authorised the transaction, so it is entirely on their back, because how could a gym with no knowledge of my bank details, just sneak in and take it, without the bank knowing aswell......

posted on Sep, 30 2011 @ 06:34 PM
link   
reply to post by ReluctantBlossom

I agree with you, I should of called the people she was ringing morons.... and even the person trying to help me is being pushed around by people higher up than her, which doesn't give her many options aswell.

I was told to wait a week ( which must be how long an investigation takes), they were going to ring the gym, ask for any signatures of my name, and if they could not find any, the amount would be put back into my account. This has not happened, and now it seems that none of them actually have a clue what to do about it.....

I waited simply because I was told to. The person who I first rang obviously hung up the phone and scrapped everything I told her. If that is my fault, sue me... It is their JOB, and they have not done their JOB properly......

Maybe the person is trying to help, but if thats the way they help, then they are not much help at all.

As for the first call I made, the only reason why I waited is because I expected them to contact me, which did not occur....
edit on 30-9-2011 by Redevilfan09 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 30 2011 @ 08:39 PM
link   
reply to post by Redevilfan09

I have had similar things happen where I bank and understand how frustrating it can be, but I'm sure it will be taken care of soon. But, I also note that while a bank is really quick to take money OUT of an account...They sure can take their time putting it back!

posted on Sep, 30 2011 @ 10:16 PM
link   
Try this mate. I may not work but its worth a try.

Send what you have written in this post to as many newspaper "letters to the editor" as you can and provide a "update" each time there is a development.

at least its worth a try.

Alternatively; I would go down to the local branch and create whatever 'scene' you need to, to get it sorted. you might get arrested but that will be an opportunity to publicise your side of the story.

also; consult a community based legal group to get an opinion about libal laws and if you can make up a sign that is not libalous and stand outside of the bank. When you get told to move on the banks enforcers hand the sign over a friend or family member and play tag team with the banks heavies. One thing banks don't like is bad publicity.

new topics

top topics

join