It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

New Zealand is racist? The only black man in town was arrested!!!

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 1 2011 @ 12:40 PM
link   
reply to post by AKINOFTHEFIRSSTARS

Thanks for that valuable testimony, and I was hoping somebody would explain that context without myself speaking "for" another group.
Racial profiling is a part of the black experience by a lot of testimony, and that context explains why people can interpret the same event very differently depending on their backgrounds.
Of course some people do play the race-card, but that doesn't mean racism isn't real.

edit on 1-10-2011 by halfoldman because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 1 2011 @ 12:53 PM
link   

Well excuse me for saying that a suspected drug dealer should be searched by the police.

My opionion would be the same no matter who was under suspicion.
And was he not searched based on a description that the police had received. I'm sure they didn't just arrive on the scene and think to themselves 'hmm, there's a black guy, lets take him in'.

I have been to New Zealand before and have nothing but the best to say about the people there.
Right enough being a 'non-black' as you put it, I probably had an advantage right

posted on Oct, 1 2011 @ 07:12 PM
link   
I have friends and family that are police officers. They don't discriminate or pull people over due to color. They pull people over that have done something suspicious or have done something to break the law and if an unproportionate number of blacks get pulled over it is because they did something wrong, not because of their color.

If a cop is driving behind someone, especially when it's dark out, do you honestly believe that the police can tell the race of the driver every single time? It is highly unlikely.

Here's some food for thought, if the speed limit is 40 mph and someone is driving at 25mph the police will pull them over. I'm just saying.

Enough of the race card already, it is despicable.

posted on Oct, 1 2011 @ 08:47 PM
link   
I think we can now reasonably assume NZ is not a redneck country.
But consider this....is it safe to walk in Johannesburg alone ?
Does that make South Africa a racist nation because blacks shoot whites and rob tourists?
Live and let live , racism will always exist whilst there is poverty and ignorance.

posted on Oct, 2 2011 @ 01:06 AM
link   
reply to post by Dr Expired

Yes, you do have a point.
What is going on in SA could be a topic for an entirely new thread.
Some cops have certainly been involved in everything from hijacking, extortion and rape.
One only needs to consider the corrupt former police minister and Interpol boss Jackie Selebi.
The ANC Youth League has also been accused of racist hate speech against whites.
However, it is very complex to divide crime from racial targeting in SA, nevertheless there have been some cases where black cops used racial slurs to indicate they were deliberately targeting whites (although the media deliberately downplays such cases).
But to explore this further I'd need more research and input from other South Africans (or people very familiar with SA), or it will be one of those threads that will be closed "for staff review" very quickly.
For now I think I've burnt my fingers on polemics enough for a while.

posted on Oct, 2 2011 @ 02:12 AM
link   
I apologize to you, sir.

As a kiwi, I am horrified and ashamed about this incident.

The police are under huge pressure at the moment, but that does not excuse this.

I have to say that the Rugby World Cup is a great occasion and mostly people are loving it - there will always be a few downsides with so many people present.

posted on Oct, 2 2011 @ 02:59 AM
link   
It's a simple fact my friends "as long as there is us and them... There will always be us and them". The racism issue is constantly driven forward be well meaning mislead people of all ethnicities... Just like some people on this thread. Perhaps the pertinent question would be "why was a leading S.A. journo arrested on suspicion of drugs?" Why does race have to be an issue? As a Kiwi I'm disgusted that a top S.A. journo was arrested on suspicion of drugs but why bring in a non existant race issue?
The race problem will stop when people on all sides stop making it an issue.

What an unfortunate event.

posted on Oct, 2 2011 @ 03:11 AM
link   
reply to post by hudsonhawk69

YES! STOP RACISM NOW!

Hi, people, could we try and get on together, no matter where we live, or what colour we are.

None of that matters.

We are humans, and we should protect, love and save each other.

posted on Oct, 2 2011 @ 11:05 PM
link   
WTF is a race card??? To some people it is testimony and personal experience.... To others its a game. The term race card was invented by people who wanted to protect there own vicious beliefs. These are the lives of real people, this isn't a game...........card>really?
Ice cube-race card perfect song that's if your able to receive the message without your own ego getting in the way.

I am telling you some of my personal experiences. No they can't tell what race you are when they are behind you. You are still an outsider looking in. Ask any person that is operating under the misnomer 'black', about how cops can be going the other direction and they will make a u-turn, burning rubber and the works. If we are driving pass each other, what suspicions can one have in such short amount of time??? This standard for them.

We always LOVE to bring up South Africa as a counter weight to racism, so at the end of the day we can say "Hey look no one is guilty". Sorry I am not buying one cent of it. Did you know what it took to set up south Africa??? Do you know what The League of Nation has done to Africa??? Are you aware of what Germany and The United States have done based solely on skin color??? For generations?????? It amazes me that you guys either don't believe in karma or you just don't understand reciprocity.

Go into someones house, eat their food, murder there family, take the resources, and totally disrespect their way of life by approaching it as something primitive rather than 'different'. How can you expect ANYONE, doesn't matter what supposed race you are, to get away with that.
The indigenous people of south Africa received white people with open arms, only to be backstabbed and met with bullets instead of hugs. The indigenous people didn't even have a say so in dividing the continent up. You know, the continent africa which is named after a roman, the germans and others created fictitious treaties which granted them dominion over the territory.

People always say, well that was generations ago.....SO!!!! We still see the effect today.
Du beers and many other rapers depleting Africa of natural resources for an economic advantage have no desire to make an EVEN trade. Its atrocious and I believe the old adage goes, "every dog has its day,everything flips around, the first shall be last" kind of thing.

If you know nothing of history you CAN NOT speak of the now. Cause and Effect.

edit on 2-10-2011 by AKINOFTHEFIRSSTARS because: addition

edit on 2-10-2011 by AKINOFTHEFIRSSTARS because: correction

edit on 2-10-2011 by AKINOFTHEFIRSSTARS because: (no reason given)

edit on 2-10-2011 by AKINOFTHEFIRSSTARS because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 2 2011 @ 11:26 PM
link   

Please author a thread on the subject. I'm still angry that this thread is actually about some guy with a chip on his shoulder calling New Zealand a racist country.

posted on Oct, 3 2011 @ 12:00 AM
link   

A nice post.
Thanks.

However I'm not sure when blacks ever welcomed whites with open arms.
The whole of the sub-continent actually belonged to the Khoisan people (Bushmen and Hottentots).
The black tribes only moved into SA from the Congo around 1700.

The whites formed a coastal settlement around 1652, however they only moved into the interior around 1820-30.
At that time the Zulus were extremely war-like, and Piet Retief was hardly welcomed with open arms.

Anyway, the black people around 1900 were 3 million people.
By the end of Apartheid they were over 40 million.
Black people today have degrees from apartheid-era universities.

posted on Oct, 3 2011 @ 12:23 AM
link   
reply to post by halfoldman

i would do a bit of research into New Zealand towns before making bloody stupid comments matey! There are no "all white towns" anywhere in New Zealand, and there never have been.

posted on Oct, 3 2011 @ 12:42 AM
link   

I'm not asking anybody to deny their personal experience. I'm not asking anybody to pretent that racism never happened. If we are to move forward we need to realise that "as long as there is us and them... There will always be us and them". To move forward we need to stop seeing skin colour full stop. Can you do that? Your post leads me to believe that you cannot...

posted on Oct, 3 2011 @ 12:43 AM
link   

Here Here, couldn't agree more.

posted on Oct, 3 2011 @ 06:43 AM
link   
reply to post by k0mbination

Well, for what it's worth I did apologize and moderate my views on the previous page.
Unfortunately I made the mistake of taking the media literally, including the NZ media.
So how many black Africans do live in the town?
I'm finding it difficult to find out.

edit on 3-10-2011 by halfoldman because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 3 2011 @ 06:47 AM
link   

it sounds to me like you are being racist to the people of new zealand. You cannot call a whole country racist because of the actions of a few people...

posted on Oct, 3 2011 @ 07:32 AM
link   
reply to post by purplemer

Conversely it's also not possible to be racist against an entire multi-ethnic society such as New Zealand.

As I said, I did apologize on the previous page, and explained how the media led to my outrage, including media from New Zealand.

In fact, I dearly hope that such an incident won't cause harm, or become a case of what goes around comes around. I don't think it's important enough for that, but black African people here were offended, especially if one took the media at face value.

posted on Oct, 3 2011 @ 12:04 PM
link   

yes it is check the united nations definition of what racism is...

posted on Oct, 3 2011 @ 12:28 PM
link   

I cannot and I refuse to do that if my testimony is discard and labeled as "me playing the race card" or "the injured sparrow or me being looked upon like I really had the power to create some of these conditions."

We can move forward. I think one side has been trying to do that for some time now. But we cannot move forward if you refuse to acknowledge or if you are ignorant to some of the atrocities that are prevalent. Can you actually believe people threw bricks, spat on, cursed at, and violently attacked(even the police) a man that had a valuable vision and a NON-VIOLENT approach??? We did it with obama some 60-70 years later by trying toconnect him to a racist church, now saying he is supposedly apart of an organization on the complete opposite side of the spectrum. How can one man play on 2 teams in a football game???

This is like court to me, and if I am to give my testimony, it would be like you guys asking all black people to deny all the facts they have experienced, past and present. I say past because of the law of cause and effect. The sound of the injustice has echoed all the way to 2011. This is your definition of "moving forward"
There will not always be an us and them. This kind of thinking is what got us here, its not going to help us get out.
I will move forward when the rest of humanity is willing stand up and own up to their mistakes like men. Instead we like to behave like children and act like these things aren't around. Everyone wants to "move forward", its easy for you to say. We still have wounds, if you really wanted to move forward you would try to heal your injured brethren.

In the wise words of Dr. King " Injustice anywhere, is a threat to justice everywhere".
Peace and blessings.

posted on Oct, 3 2011 @ 01:01 PM
link   
reply to post by purplemer

Don't act like you stereotype black Africans as drug dealers, and nobody will have a problem.
It's not my fault.

new topics

<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join