It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

New Zealand is racist? The only black man in town was arrested!!!

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 30 2011 @ 08:14 PM
link   
Mhm.......

How do the actions of a few cops represent an entire nation?

/not getting the point of this thread.

posted on Sep, 30 2011 @ 08:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by halfoldman
reply to post by Dr Expired

Well one cannot take one incident as proof of racism in an entire community.
But I guess some of the comments here have been very cold to how the man must have felt, and I hardly think they would inspire confidence to any kind of international people returning.

I would be more than happy to be sympathetic to his cause, if he didn't use the race card.
He blew this so far out of proportion by doing so, that any sympathy I may have had for his "ordeal" (which lasted about 30 minutes... lol) flew right out the window.

Perhaps if he wasn't so arrogant, ignorant and racist himself, he would never have even considered that this could just be mistaken identity, and not racially based whatsoever.

For the record, I'm not white.

Also, you seem to come across as more racist than the police.
To quote you :
"We had a whole football World Cup last year, and we never had a bunch of CRACKERS like that."
Crackers ? racism.

Also, you seem to have some kind of person crusade going against NZ , or it may even be against the whole commonwealth, or perhaps even white people in general. I haven't figured out your angle yet, but the below quotes point me in a certain direction...

"What a bunch of racist scum in New Zealand? " -
"Commonwealth countries are exposing their own racist history and presence " -
"So they never knew they had a major sport event, and that international visitors of various races might grace their all-white villages and towns?
It's actually hilarious. "

All-White villages and towns ? Talk about a mis-representation. Considering NZ is considered one of , if not THE most culturally diverse countries in the developed world, I think you're quite delusional.

"What a bunch of racist scum in New Zealand? " -
I think sir, perhaps a mirror is in order.

edit on 30/9/2011 by Dachende because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 30 2011 @ 08:46 PM
link   
Yes, CRACKERS is a racial slur like someone pointed out earlier. And as I pointed out earlier he resides from a country that is committing genocide against a particular race as we speak.

A mirror is in order indeed.

posted on Sep, 30 2011 @ 08:51 PM
link   
I'm confused is there like only one black guy in all of New Zealand, and they arrested him?

Well since he was a journalist the fallout is gonna be hell. Also funny.

posted on Sep, 30 2011 @ 09:01 PM
link   
I think it appropriate that I should also post this here.

SA Rasict Rugby tour of NZ

After everything NZ has do to help SA in getting rid of racial segregation, what do we get in return. Some ignorant SA people claiming that our nation is racist. Oh the irony!

posted on Oct, 1 2011 @ 03:10 AM
link   
I do apologize for some of the terms I used last night, and I in no way wish to imply that New Zealand is a racist country. I was hoping to employ some irony about the event, but it just didn't come across like that.

On the other hand the whole incident was rather strange, and it did inflame some local outrage in a currently very competitive setting.

I was however also surprised that some people would still assume he was a drug dealer, and at one point I just regretted posting the whole thread.

What happened was obviously a mistake, or perhaps the result of some individuals who were perhaps racist and trying to stir things up.

There is no way a top sporting journalist is a drug dealer, and I can imagine that the feelings of the man were hurt, and that he felt very outraged.

But I think the incident is already receding from the wider success and friendly competition of the World Cup.
I guess in the historic relations between our countries we just didn't expect this of New Zealand, and then all the defensiveness that didn't have any empathy for the journo at all.

But by now this will like flogging a dead horse, and it didn't happen to me personally, so I cannot project another person's feelings and outrage (that was a mistake), or even getting over the incident.
Clearly the fact that there's a lot drinking and talk in pubs about the competition doesn't make for concise debate either, and incidents like these will hardly leave people neutral.

Anyway, I'm looking forward to the rest of a great competition!

posted on Oct, 1 2011 @ 06:13 AM
link   
It seems theres nothing racist about it.

posted on Oct, 1 2011 @ 07:13 AM
link   
reply to post by Laviver26

This story was taken out of proportion. And might I add a very large portion of the NZ Police Force especially in the Auckland and Bay of Plenty units, are Maori. So why play the racist card? Us Kiwis know the All Blacks have a very very large following among black South Africans so I know the Police would would had been respectful towards this journalist. They were only doing their jobs based upon an idiot but unfortunately the Police have to take it seriously.

posted on Oct, 1 2011 @ 09:36 AM
link   
reply to post by halfoldman

the " only black man " ? omniscient much ????????????

posted on Oct, 1 2011 @ 10:16 AM
link   
The press here did report that he was the only black man there in several articles (there's a lot more on Google than my snippets here), and I assume they mean black African.

There is a general perception that black Africans often get inferior treatment when traveling, not only from whites but also from other groups, like Asians and Arabs.

I cannot say if this is true or not, but the perception certainly exists, and an incident like this will be seen by many Africans in that context.

Here is Ngobeni's account of events:
www.nzherald.co.nz...
So my response was very much taking this at face value.
edit on 1-10-2011 by halfoldman because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 1 2011 @ 10:21 AM
link   
Well looky here... a thread on ATS concerning South Africa. Too bad that all it does is show the rest of the world how much we still need to grow as a country.

This whole "top black journalist wrongfully accused" fiasco is a basically just a terrible attempt at Propaganda. While reading this article in the local paper, I actually laughed. It is quite pathetic.

I don't understand how people can agree on how the American MSM distorts the truth, without realising that it happens in practically every other country in the world. It's all about controlling the masses.

In saying that, what really concerns me is how people are so blind to this sort of trickery.
"Look how cool we are for overcoming apartheid and accepting so many cultures", "Aren't we the best rainbow nation, look how we hold hands, while singing and dancing oh so happy". Seriously?
It's strange, because every time the media discusses anything to do with this country, the race card is instantly drawn. It affects issues concerning sport, the government, crime, arts, etc. It is everywhere.

Why don't we notice? It's because we are always re-affirmed of how jolly great we are, and how we triumphantly overcome racism. If the MSM says it, it must be true.

This is a matter close to my heart, and I don't mean to offend anyone, but can we please just get over blindly accepting this ridiculous propaganda. By constantly being reminded of how we "triumphed over adversity", we leave those melancholic emotional strings exposed, and the government loves tugging at them.

When people really overcome racism, they realise how they allowed the government to use something as silly as someone's skin pigment to divide us from one another.
In a truly liberated nation, even mentioning race would leave a bitter taste in one's mouth.
edit on 1-10-2011 by dyllels because: cranky spelling mistakes

posted on Oct, 1 2011 @ 10:27 AM
link   
While going through some more of the articles, here is one that dismisses Ngobeni's claims:

www.whaleoil.co.nz...

I think he did embellish the story for sensationalism.
I'm not so impressed with it anymore.

And to think I was so worked up, I got my first post warning.

posted on Oct, 1 2011 @ 10:43 AM
link   

News flash....the entire world is racist.

posted on Oct, 1 2011 @ 11:07 AM
link   
reply to post by Evanzsayz

Now you come and tell me that, just as I reconciled myself to the idea that the incident wasn't racist after all (at least not from the NZ police, although somebody obviously made a false allegation to them).

During the days of apartheid our minister of foreign affairs Pik Botha (now ironically a member of the ANC) would try to remind the world of that, since all those who pointed fingers at SA had their own disgraceful racism in their backyards.
Especially when he compared the life expectancy of black South Africans to black and native communities in various countries, critics were often left strangely silent.
So yes, the whole world is racist to varying degrees, and I think attitudes are actually hardening now more than ever.

posted on Oct, 1 2011 @ 11:07 AM
link   

reply to post by raybies

That's a bit confusing, but according to his own testimony he feels he was arrested because he was black.
That's the only part that gives it some merit--only SOME merit.

Innocent standpoint:

But I want you to think about how long it took you to cool down earlier. I mean, this man is a journalist, who had his dignity bruised. Do you blame him for being upset? I don't--I'd take it pretty personally for quite a few days before my reasoning would take over. Being upset throws off your judgement. Was he being quoted while upset?

From a not all that sinister standpoint:

This is a South African Journalist who lived under Apartheid. Racial tension has been much higher in South Africa, but it is changing. It wasn't until 1994 that segregation had ended for all. Now, racial tension has to be taken with a grain of salt. Most people in SA don't want to even think about being racist: Satire on SA racism. But educated folks have been leaving the country, due to the jobs just not being there (yes, some of it due to race) according to Wired. Wired's second article shows, with the state of Affirmative-Action styled changes to the marketplace, that IT firms are mostly looking for black employees, but there's plain not enough of them with the qualified skills at the point of this article.

While 90 percent of the contracts he gets request black workers, he says he simply can't find enough of them to fill the demand, particularly for positions requiring more-specialized programming skills. He says companies don't always make allowances for the fact that until recently, most South Africans were denied the opportunity to enter technology fields.

"They say a candidate must have six years of experience, but where are you going to get someone with six years of experience?" he says. "Most people applying are white, and the client is in a hurry, so you end up taking mostly white people for those skills."
In their third, they point out some of what Americans and Europeans would consider fairly backwards in in a society with technology:

"This replaces the phone line," he says, holding up a dark blue memory stick the size of a cigarette lighter.

Using a program Rabagliati designed with open-source software, the school can compose e-mail messages and specify topics for an Internet search. Then it can send a teacher or gardener off -- by bicycle, perhaps -- to plug the memory stick into a central computer miles away, upload the current batch of communiqués, and retrieve the results of yesterday's requests.

Unlike the vast majority of the world's technological innovations, Rabagliati says, this gadget has been designed expressly to provide solutions for the needs of Africa.

Wizzy Digital Courier is just one of a number of similar business ideas cropping up in South Africa, as entrepreneurs in this country aim for a new market: the continent's poor.

"It's hard to explain something like this to people in the U.S.," he says. "They've moved so far beyond the connectivity constraints of a place like South Africa. To go to New York and try to push this, there's a big disconnect. People can't think back that far. But it's very real for places like South Africa."
Wired is really pushing optimism, but even in this mild mannered article, it's clear: unless you live there, you don't know why it is so different.

Here is an article on Brandon Huntly. He is a white who was granted asylum in Canada, due to racial aggression in South Africa, and there are links to people of all sorts of opinions about the man, as well as comments from others. This mentions discrimination against blacks. Non-race-driven crime And on and on it goes....

Basically, you're trained to see things by the society you live in. As much as South Africa is trying to put an end to racism, they see it everywhere, and it can bend their conclusions about behaviour in a different country. It is very likely that this poor man is predisposed to see racism under every rock. I have to take the victim with a grain of salt.

posted on Oct, 1 2011 @ 11:22 AM
link   

Racist scum?

Moan about your own disaster of a country before you start harping on about a place that is possibly the most beautiful and perfect country in the world, home to a small population of very kind and friendly people.

You are referring to a country which is as accepting and loving of it's pre-colonial, native culture as any in the world, maybe more.

Would the race card have been played had it been a caucasian person at the wrong place at the wrong time?

posted on Oct, 1 2011 @ 11:27 AM
link   

South Africa was always called the embodiment of racism, but it seems that some Commonwealth countries are exposing their own racist history and presence with major sports events.

A South African black journalist wrote lyrically about being the only black person in a New Zealand town, and how he wanted to return with his wife.

That is until he was arrested as a drug dealer, and found himself strip-searched at a police station, and he then had to make his way back to his friends in an unfamiliar town.

Good golly, imagine SA ever did that.
What a bunch of racist scum in New Zealand?

Yeah, they used to boycott us for racism - look at them all now.

A senior South African journalist who is in New Zealand for the Rugby World Cup was taken to a police station and searched after being accused of peddling drugs in a Taupo bar. Vata Ngobeni, chief rugby writer for the Pretoria News, has labelled himself "the unlucky black man in Taupo" in a column published overnight in his newspaper. Read it here. He told the Herald the police were heavy-handed and unreasonable and the incident had soured his trip to New Zealand. Other South African journalists here for the Rugby World Cup have called the police actions racist.

www.nzherald.co.nz...

edit on 30-9-2011 by halfoldman because: (no reason given)

Tribal clans defending thier clan from the evil "foreign looking invaders". The evil foriegn looking outsiders are coming to get you! Defend the elite(chieftans,kings,regents,lords) oligarchs or you'll be subjegated by the evil subhuman invaders. This is more social behavioral conditioning by the elite.

Problem. reaction. solution. Repeat!

-Engineer a problem or patsy.

-Get a desired reaction/response to the problem/patsy.

-Implement a strategic solution(using the patsy/problem) that distracts,confuses,ofsucates and subverts the public's will and percieved reality.

-Repeat the process when needed.

Wake up and end this cycle.

posted on Oct, 1 2011 @ 11:27 AM
link   
I am glad to see that you have changed your opinion on it, but you're going to be slammed by those first few pages. If you can no longer edit your OP, talk to a mod about adding in a disclaimer at the end that states you changed your opinion due to the conversation this post derived, without taking out anything that you said. This will keep you both honest, and prevent some of the flaming....maybe.

posted on Oct, 1 2011 @ 11:52 AM
link   
reply to post by CynicalDrivel

Thanks for the concern. I'll see how it goes.
I think it gives Kiwis a chance to defend their country from the flak it picked up over these articles, because my initial rant probably still represents how some people are feeling.

My own changing opinion is perhaps an interesting example of how the media can manipulate us.
I still feel sorry that the guy got searched and went through some minor discomfort, but it was manipulated out of proportion and sensationalized.

I only hope that people follow the thread, and not just the opening page.

As I said already I took the articles at face value, especially as they were from NZ newspapers, and it really did paint a picture of some rural backwater where blacks are run out of town by the sheriff.

posted on Oct, 1 2011 @ 12:05 PM
link   
reply to post by Heartisblack

Want to be white???? I'm sorry no thanx. Maybe this is the case for you, but not for anyone I know. Despite the lack of knowledge of my story or my heritage I am proud to be who I am.

The 'Non-black' people are all posting "if he was suspected, then why not arrest him." I wish you can take a walk in those shoes for a year and tell me how it feels to be searched, stopped, frisked, or whatever because of how you look. You could be on your way to work, a family event, meeting, whatever, it doesn't matter. People are so insensitive. This is a report, so who knows, but the insensitive people will even go as far as willing to discard testimony, or evidence just to prove the world isn't racist. These are the outsiders looking in that think everything is peaches and cream. Everything IS NOT what its seems.. The view is completely different when you put your ignorant arrogant pride to the side just to hear someones story.

I would love for you to come to my neck of the woods, where everyone who appears to be a certain is a potential drug dealer. With this in mind are you guys going to stop everyone or reevaluate your understanding. Does a drug dealer or a thug have a uniform?? I guess everyone that "looks" like a drug dealer is going to get pulled over according to you guys. But wtf does a drug dealer look like.
From age 14-18 I have probably been stopped maybe a little under 50 times. Because I look like something to someone or because I fit the description. I was pulled over in my own, burgundy car, with my mom, because we fit the description of these supposed two black males. But the officer said himself the car stolen was blue?!?!?!? Do you know how insolent and juvenile this sounds. I kid you not, Sheriffs and Cops have said and I quote " are you sure you don't have any crack or guns in the car, where going to search it anyway so you better just tell us" Us being the 15 cars that have now one by one added themselves to the scene for 2 individuals with squeaky clean records . If we were to open our eyes, we will see blacks have been deprived of resources meaning it takes international pull that we do NOT HAVE in order to set up these drug rings. Blacks do not own many airplanes, subs, and we certainly can not go south because Mexicans are operating under a false and atrocious doctrine which puts blacks at risk for there life. We certainly do not own any gun factories yet thousands of unregistered firearms find there way into my backyard. You wouldn't believe it until you hear it for yourself, you need all of the info in order add it up for yourself. Go learn about your government and the CIA. Then zoom to the 60's.

***On a side note you ATS'ers are funny. You guys openly admit who controls the media outlets and yet you find it hard to believe that they have been pulling a fast one for years.

"A bag of drugs was found"??? ROFL that's the oldest trick in the book.
Wake up guys.

It is a shame for mankind to be ignorant of its history. A mind is terrible thing to waste.
In the words of my favorite song, `the sky is falling the wind is calling/stand for something or die in the morning/.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join