It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

New Zealand is racist? The only black man in town was arrested!!!

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 30 2011 @ 05:33 PM
link   
South Africa was always called the embodiment of racism, but it seems that some Commonwealth countries are exposing their own racist history and presence with major sports events.

A South African black journalist wrote lyrically about being the only black person in a New Zealand town, and how he wanted to return with his wife.

That is until he was arrested as a drug dealer, and found himself strip-searched at a police station, and he then had to make his way back to his friends in an unfamiliar town.

Good golly, imagine SA ever did that.
What a bunch of racist scum in New Zealand?

Yeah, they used to boycott us for racism - look at them all now.

A senior South African journalist who is in New Zealand for the Rugby World Cup was taken to a police station and searched after being accused of peddling drugs in a Taupo bar. Vata Ngobeni, chief rugby writer for the Pretoria News, has labelled himself "the unlucky black man in Taupo" in a column published overnight in his newspaper. Read it here. He told the Herald the police were heavy-handed and unreasonable and the incident had soured his trip to New Zealand. Other South African journalists here for the Rugby World Cup have called the police actions racist.

www.nzherald.co.nz...

edit on 30-9-2011 by halfoldman because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 30 2011 @ 05:35 PM
link   
And you wonder why some of us black people want to be white, we get tired of # like this. If south Africa did that #, wow, words won't even describe what will happen. Unimaginable horror, I'll have to tell Catherine to run.

Were there any drugs found on the man, where is the link ? Just because he's black doesn't mean we should play the race card, where's the official story ?

Edit: Thank you.
edit on 30-9-2011 by Heartisblack because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 30 2011 @ 05:36 PM
link   
Stop.

1. Source.
2. Was he dealing drugs?
3. Being the only black man doesn't mean he shouldn't get arrested if he committed a crime.

Edit: thanks. Source added. Let me read.
edit on 30-9-2011 by lpowell0627 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 30 2011 @ 05:37 PM
link   
Well, if he was suspected of doing something wrong why wouldn't he be arrested

Or is there a special get out of jail free card if you happen to be the only black person within a certain area??

edit: got the link,.. if he was accused of selling drugs, were the police not correct to take him to the station to be searched?
edit on 30-9-2011 by cahlmac because: (no reason given)

edit on 30-9-2011 by cahlmac because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 30 2011 @ 05:38 PM
link   
Source, please. With a link.

Edit: thank you.
edit on 30-9-2011 by lpowell0627 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 30 2011 @ 05:43 PM
link   
Maby he was peddling drugs but didn't have them on him at the time of arrest, then he pulls the race card so the cops won't stop him next time when he does have the drugs.
edit on 30-9-2011 by NeoSpace because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 30 2011 @ 05:45 PM
link   
He was not peddling drugs, he was a top SA journalist!

Vata Ngobeni, who works for the Pretoria News newspaper and acts as an analyst for South Africa's national broadcaster SABC, was arrested in the early hours of Monday morning and taken to a police station where he was strip searched. When he tried to explain that he was a journalist on tour covering the Springboks's performance in the Rugby World Cup, which New Zealand is hosting, he was told they were following standard procedure when they spot someone who fits "the profile of a drug dealer". Colleagues in the bar with him confirmed he was the only black person present. "I have never been so embarrassed in my life," he told a South African newspaper after being released. "I have never experienced this kind of treatment in all my travels around the world, so to be singled out as a common criminal in front of so many people is something I will never forget."

www.telegraph.co.uk... g-dealer.html

posted on Sep, 30 2011 @ 05:46 PM
link   
From your article:

"To stop and search and haul an SA journo to a police station because of the way he looks without any evidence is ridiculous," Nel wrote.

They stopped him because a patron complained that he tried to sell him drugs. NOT because of how he looked.

posted on Sep, 30 2011 @ 05:57 PM
link   
Maybe the Patron was racist. I strongly doubt the police were.

A bag of drugs were found in close proximity to the man though.

link   
post removed for serious violation of ATS Terms & Conditions

link   
Being a New Zealander I can assure this story has blown way out of proportions. The man in question was arrested because he was suspected of selling drugs, as he matched the description given to police. He was taken to the local police station, handled with respect, and released in short time after it was clear mistaken identity had occurred. He was released with a apology from police, who after all where just doing their job, and handled it in a professional manner.

This is how NZ cops work... by the book, doing what is asked of them in their job. In saying this though, NZ does have a problem with racism just like most countries, but I can assure you it is a very small minority and not a problem within the New Zealand police force. The majority of kiwis are the most respectful and friendly human beings on this planet!
edit on 30-9-2011 by Laviver26 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 30 2011 @ 05:59 PM
link   
Why the hell is it that for damn near anything that happens westerners start blaming race ?
Idiocy everyone is human doesnt matter what damn colour a person ... Then they wonder why the worlds going to hell in a handbasket..
Pity humanity cant grow up and leave the stupidity behind...

posted on Sep, 30 2011 @ 06:01 PM
link   
reply to post by Laviver26

OK, maybe.
So they never knew they had a major sport event, and that international visitors of various races might grace their all-white villages and towns?
It's actually hilarious.

posted on Sep, 30 2011 @ 06:02 PM
link   
reply to post by Expat888

New Zealand is not a western Country.

second line

posted on Sep, 30 2011 @ 06:04 PM
link   
reply to post by kimish

Well, what would you say it is then?

posted on Sep, 30 2011 @ 06:07 PM
link   
reply to post by halfoldman

It's nowhere near Europe or North America ("Western Countries") so.... Call it what you want but it's not a western Country.

I would say it's considered part of Oceania. Either way, I'd label it A South Pacific Country

edit on 30-9-2011 by kimish because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 30 2011 @ 06:07 PM
link   
More on the fascism of it all:
mg.co.za...

I mean, why can't people just be honest?

posted on Sep, 30 2011 @ 06:12 PM
link   
reply to post by kimish

Of course it's a Western country.

The dominant language and culture is Western, it was never a communist country, so it is very much a southern Western country by definition.

posted on Sep, 30 2011 @ 06:27 PM
link   
Being a British Commonwealth realm New Zealand is most certainly Western like. Practically their entire system of government, judiciary, criminal justice, etc is based on the British system. Yes, it's in the south Pacific but it is British with a big dose of New Zealandish.

I have heard nothing but positive things about the New Zealand Police Service. Very professional and very well trained.

posted on Sep, 30 2011 @ 06:27 PM
link   
It was a British Colony and is still part of the Commonwealth.. Follows western method of government, religion and culture it IS a western country.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join