It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Green Big Meteor Broke Up over Southern Qld Australia (Frid morning approx 0500hrs)

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 30 2011 @ 03:52 PM
link   
Hi was observing the Great Orion Nebula , for a few hours yesterday morning , wow if anyone hasn't seen this through a good telescope then do yourself a favour, it is awe inspiring and achingly beautiful.

Anyway I then went to sleep before work for a while, and got a call from a friend at approx 0500 I think friday morning, he asked me if I had seen the giant meteor that streaked across the sky.

He described a green shooting object that broke up at its tail (or appeared to) he said it lit up the whole sky.

I asked around but no one else saw it and there is nothing I can find on the net about it.

Could someone help? perhaps you saw it if you live in Australia..it was going roughly NE to SW again roughly.

Sorry if this is in the wrong thread , Iam just so mad I missed it a si have seen a few small meteors in the lens of my scope when its pointed towards Orion.

Searched this quite breathtakinglly detailed thread also but found nothing.
lunarmeteoritehunters.blogspot.com...
edit on 30-9-2011 by Dr Expired because: added excellent meteor watch link

posted on Sep, 30 2011 @ 04:29 PM
link   
reply to post by Dr Expired

Gidday Mate, I'm on the Gold Coast.I too saw a green meteor this morning around five am.I would not describe it a large.Very small actually.Not saying it was not a smaller secondry one that was in tow.Hope that helps.

posted on Sep, 30 2011 @ 04:38 PM
link   
reply to post by 13th Zodiac

Thanks but it was yesterday morning the big one was reported by this firend ...there were a few flashes in the sky and bangs at around midnight on thurs night ..the sky was clear so it wasn't local thunder and lightning.
Its strange how no one else saw this thing, my friend wasn't using binoculars or anything , he clearly said it was huge and appeared to break up ,at its tail, also was bright green.

If you saw a little one this morning it could indicate a pattern as I do not believe green meteors are that common.

posted on Sep, 30 2011 @ 04:57 PM
link   
reply to post by Dr Expired

Sorry I did not catch that it was yesterday.I typically see two on average every night.Orange,blue or green.One color doesn't seem to be anymore common than another.The color must be related to the material that is burning.

posted on Sep, 30 2011 @ 04:59 PM
link   
Im from Victoria, obviously did not see the meteor, but only 2 weeks ago my wife seen an orange fireball... There certainly are some strange things beginning to happen in our skies. Im pissed off I missed that one aswell. Keep looking, sounds like more maybe on the way

posted on Sep, 30 2011 @ 05:01 PM
link   

I have seen the green objects before. To me they seem to be space junk or man made material, but if anyone has a different view, I'm happy to accept that aswell....

posted on Sep, 30 2011 @ 05:11 PM
link   

Yes...but this link page has raised something interesting also NEOS , and a predicted surge of associated meteors around 27th september.

This link doesn't agree with your theory about meteor composition and colour.
news.nationalgeographic.com...

Did your meteor have a sonic boom?
The frid morning one wasn't heard by my friend on the Gold coast Qld, but he swears it was big and bright.

posted on Sep, 30 2011 @ 05:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by Redevilfan09

I have seen the green objects before. To me they seem to be space junk or man made material, but if anyone has a different view, I'm happy to accept that aswell....

Here is an excerpt from this website.
lunarmeteoritehunters.blogspot.com...

ALERT Updated 27SEP2011 --NEOs Close Approach Prompts Green Meteor Alert
UPDATED! NEOs Close Approach Prompts Green Meteor Alert
- originally posted 21SEP2011
An increase of meteors and fireballs is forecasted for just prior to and just after 22SEP2011
and 29SEP2011. Material debris traveling with (2007 TD), (2011 SO5) and yet undetetected astroidal debris will produce some nice fireballs within the next nine days. Get the word out and have your cameras ready. Thank you. LunarMeteorite*Hunter - Tokyo

posted on Oct, 1 2011 @ 11:49 AM
link   
I may have got date mixed up? The 30th was Friday in Australia not the 29th, and reports of large fireball at 0500 hrs on friday morning are on worldwide meteor site link in posts above.
Locations reported Ipswich, Sunshine coast ,Northern NSW.
Not sure why still no media reports on this though, as i have stated I didn't see the meteor , but apparently thee are NEOS out there.

new topics

top topics

join