It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

CDC Outbreak Notice - Polio in China

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 30 2011 @ 03:18 PM
link   
CDC Outbreak Notice

Cases of polio have been reported in China, the country’s first cases in more than 10 years. All cases were reported in Hotan prefecture, Xinjiang Uygur autonomous region. Genetic sequencing has shown that the poliovirus isolated from these cases most closely resembles wild poliovirus type 1 found in Pakistan during the second half of 2010.

I remember posting something about this in this thread.

Interesting. I've seen more than a handful of outbreaks so far, I mean, just look at this forum, a lot of topics are my Outbreak Notices. Crazy.

posted on Sep, 30 2011 @ 03:26 PM
link   
Of course it is in the Muslim occupied area of western China. They believe there is a conspiracy to off Muslims with vaccinations and so they refuse to take them.

Another example of the backward Islamic culture.
edit on 30-9-2011 by mike_trivisonno because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 30 2011 @ 05:30 PM
link   
CDC Polio Global Update

Information for Travelers Polio is a serious disease that can cause paralysis and death. If you are going to one of the countries listed below, CDC recommends that you make sure you are up-to-date on your polio vaccine. If your vaccine is not up-to-date, you will need to get vaccinated.

This is just an update. It's mostly for travelers, so if you're going to be traveling, make sure you're up to date with your Polio vaccination if you're going to the countries in that list.

posted on Oct, 4 2011 @ 12:53 PM
link   
CDC Polio in China Update

Cases of polio have been reported in China, the country’s first cases in more than 10 years. All cases were reported in Xinjiang Uygur autonomous region. Genetic sequencing has shown that the poliovirus isolated from these cases most closely resembles wild poliovirus type 1 found in Pakistan during the second half of 2010. As a result of this outbreak, CDC recommends that travelers to all parts of China be up-to-date on the polio vaccine.

Hey everyone. I checked the CDC website, and they updated the current information regarding Polio in China. Check it out.

posted on Oct, 4 2011 @ 12:56 PM
link   
Wait, I thought polio was eradicated long ago? Am I incorrect?

posted on Oct, 4 2011 @ 12:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by IamAbeliever

Yep. Poorer countries don't necessarily give the vaccine to the effects like other more modern countries.

posted on Oct, 5 2011 @ 05:02 AM
link   
WHO is actually putting out an international polio spread warning.

Global Alert and Response (GAR)

Confirmed international spread of wild poliovirus from Pakistan

20 September 2011 - Wild poliovirus type 1 (WPV1) genetically linked to virus currently circulating in Pakistan has been isolated in China. Pakistan is affected by nationwide transmission of WPV1, and is the location of the only wild poliovirus type 3 (WPV3) case in Asia in 2011 (a strain on the verge of elimination on the continent). As at 13 September 2011, Pakistan had reported 84 cases, compared to 48 cases for the same period in 2010.

-snip-

...Given these factors, the widespread transmission of WPV1, documented spread internationally, and the detection of the only WPV3 in Asia in 2011, the World Health Organization (WHO) rates as 'high' the risk of further international spread of WPV from Pakistan, particularly given the expected large-scale population movements associated with Umrah and the upcoming Hajj (pilgrimage to Mecca, Kingdom of Saudi Arabia) in the coming months.

from World Health Organization website: Global Alert and Response

Odd thing about the above article is that they only mention Pakistan and China polio cases yet title the article "International Spread Confirmed". I'd assume international would include more than 2 countries. But it really doesn't officially name the other countries in the international outbreak. ? ? ?

posted on Oct, 5 2011 @ 09:13 AM
link   
reply to post by MapMistress

Yes, I have seen that link before. And by International they mean just those two countries, because it is still technically international.

posted on Oct, 5 2011 @ 09:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by mike_trivisonno
Of course it is in the Muslim occupied area of western China. They believe there is a conspiracy to off Muslims with vaccinations and so they refuse to take them.

Be mindful of what you say. There's more than a handful of people from all religious creeds here who venomously dodge vaccines.

posted on Oct, 5 2011 @ 09:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by mike_trivisonno

Have you not read ATS?

There are plenty of people in the Western world that believe vaccines are made to off the rest of us too! The Swine Flu vaccine in particular was accused of having everything from RFID to 2 part mind control drugs, LOL!

Conspiracy nutters are not exclusive to Muslims.

On another note???? Does the US still give Polio vaccines to children or was it discontinued like Small Pox??

posted on Oct, 13 2011 @ 03:31 AM
link   

Originally posted by MikeZutch

Originally posted by IamAbeliever

Yep. Poorer countries don't necessarily give the vaccine to the effects like other more modern countries.

And I thought that western countries don't give this vaccine anymore.

posted on Oct, 18 2011 @ 10:15 AM
link   

Originally posted by getreadyalready

On another note???? Does the US still give Polio vaccines to children or was it discontinued like Small Pox??

It's still given out. The CDC recommends an IPV dose at 2, 4, and 6 months of age, followed by a booster shot between 4 and 6 years old.

Polio still existed in the US as late as 1999, with 162 cases reported between 1980 and 1999, only 6 of which were imported from outside the U.S.

At least according to official CDC records.

top topics

join