It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Giant spiders

page: 6
<< 3  4  5   >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 11 2012 @ 03:38 AM
link   
i would have a f**kin heart attack if i saw one that big.... i would probably have one if i saw a huntsman spider in real life, damn spiders...

posted on Mar, 11 2012 @ 10:39 PM
link   
reply to post by dayve

You do get used to them and instead of killing them most people tend to chase them into a box and then throw them into the bush outside.
I guess they are frightening to people who are not used to them:

posted on Mar, 11 2012 @ 10:45 PM
link   
reply to post by OzTiger

If i woke up and saw that ^^^ eight legged monster crawling up to me,i think i would probably have a heart attack and getting use to spiders that size would be impossible for me to do...

edit on 11-3-2012 by blocula because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 11 2012 @ 10:56 PM
link   
When little spiders fall on me, I might get shocked at first, but my mom use to tell me when a spider lands on you it's good luck or you'll get a message soon.

What I can't get over are the big wood and potato spiders. Potato spiders or at least what the Dorm Police claimed to be a potato spider was this big orange thing crawling on top of a stuffed animal I had back in college. I remember screaming and saying something along the lines of colorful spiders belong on National Geographics and not in my dorm room. A dorm cop killed it for me.

Years later in grad school, as Spider Karma I guess, a wood spider came into my room and gave me a near heart attack. This time it was brown in appearance and way too big, we're talking hand big. I called my sister, because well that's what rational people do when they see big spiders and the two of us tried to kill it together. A huge can of Raid wouldn't kill it. Clorox bleach spray wouldn't kill it. Finally, I threw my dictionary on it. We picked up the dictionary and the thing still had the will to live. I screamed, my sister threw the dictionary on top of the spider again and began jumping on the dictionary. After doing that for several minutes, the thing finally died.

What I haven't been able to figure out, to add to your discussion, is if camel spiders are real or just a hoax. Look at this picture below.

I would think those spiders are larger than the one you mentioned.

And unfortunately, I don't think my dictionary could kill that thing.

posted on Mar, 11 2012 @ 11:00 PM
link   
reply to post by MissDirtySouth

I think thats a picture of "two" camel spiders,the one on the bottom is biting a hold of the one on top of it and they are very real.Some of them can grow to one foot across > en.wikipedia.org... camel spider bite > www.camelspiders.net...

posted on Mar, 11 2012 @ 11:12 PM
link   
reply to post by blocula

Deep down inside, I was hoping the camel spider website was one elaborate hoax. I refused to look them up on wikipedia too. That's the stuff of nightmares.

I still couldn't kill one of those spiders with my dictionary.

posted on Mar, 11 2012 @ 11:13 PM
link   
reply to post by blocula

I was stationed in Aden and during one of our sojourns to the desert we were billeted at a place called Abyan(?) where these Camel Spiders used to crawl down the guy ropes of our tents. I was playing cards one night when I kept feeling this light scratching on my shoulder and when I turned round there was one dangling off a rope and was trying to reach me. I had a photo of it for years but I lost it which showed it in a soup plate with the legs well over the rim. I understood that they were unique in that they not only had normal jaws (mandibles) but also side ones too. The place we were at was like a small oasis I guess and the trees were riddled with Chameleons which most of us had pets. The place was infested with flies so we would put a spoonful of jam alongside us when we laid on our beds, and the Chameleon would feed of them as they buzzed round. There were also Asps and Sand Lizards to beware of too so it wasn't a really nice place to be.

posted on Mar, 11 2012 @ 11:20 PM
link   
reply to post by MissDirtySouth

I live in south eastern,mass. and about 20 -30 years ago a 40 year old lady who lived across the street died from a black widow spider that bit her on her front steps,thats what her husband told me,he said he was tearing out their old wooden steps and she walked out to give him lunch and it bit her foot or ankle...> The top-10 largest "known" spiders and the photo for number 6 is hard for me to even look at for very long www.top10notes.com...

posted on Mar, 11 2012 @ 11:39 PM
link   
reply to post by OzTiger

Thank you for the military service you performed and i mean that most sincerely and thanks for that spider story.I would think that scorpions would be something you and others would have had to look out for over there as well,ever see any of them? I use to date a girl whos grandfather died from a scorpions sting while fighting in africa during ww-2.My grandfather was stung...by nazi artillery shrapnel...in his thigh and also when his tank destroyer ran over a land mine,he lived both times,but he was never stung by a spider or scorpion...

posted on Mar, 12 2012 @ 02:17 AM
link   
reply to post by blocula

I'm afraid my 9 month period in Aden was served during my 2 year National Service in 1958 and although classified as 'active service' there was not much going on except for very minor Nassar protesters and the Yemen uprising.
It proved to be very educational by virtue of the different animals, lizards, birds, insects etc.,etc., that we saw amongst which were the small Gebel Monkey's that inhabited the small mountains on the Arabian Peninsular. They would come down at night and invade our camp but were very easy to catch by putting a marble (or something similar) in a large tin canister. They would rattle these and put their hand in to get it out but found that they couldn't get their clenched fist out through the opening. They simply would not let go of their 'find' so consequently would just sit there as they couldn't drag the canister around. We all made pets of these and became quite attached to them even though they were forever coming back clutching other soldiers watches and rings. We didn't have to keep them tied up or anything as they were well fed and followed us everywhere. I made enquiries about taking mine back to the UK but the costs regarding quarantine and transportation were far too much for me. We gradually introduced them back to their colonies before we left.
I remember one day we had been on a 'recce' and were all sat round in the baking hot sun when an ice-cream van came out of nowhere - nobody moved for about 5 minutes because we all thought it was a mirage!
But, I digress, regarding the spiders in Australia. We do have the very poisonous ones in the form of the 'Red Back' and the infamous "Funnel-web" which are to be avoided like the plague. They can give a very nasty bite and although they can kill anti-venom is available at all hospitals the same as for snake bites.
Just out of curiosity, did you know that the spider with the deadliest venom is none other that the dear old Daddy Long-legs but it's bite is so minute it cannot penetrate a humans skin?

posted on Aug, 28 2012 @ 04:58 PM
link   
I completely forgot about this thread. Anyone got any interesting stories/cool pics?

There must be giant spiders somewhere, on some unchartered island.... Or underground.

posted on Aug, 29 2012 @ 03:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by Krono
I completely forgot about this thread. Anyone got any interesting stories/cool pics?

There must be giant spiders somewhere, on some unchartered island.... Or underground.

No. A viable population would require thousand of species, and it wouldn't go unescaped since they would require enormous quantities of animals to keep them fed, which would have a major impact on the ecosystem and would thus be detected. This in turn would require an extremely large area where the prey could forage, which entails no small islands due to space limitations, or cave systems where the input of energy into the ecosystem is too minimal.

Simple science really.
edit on 29/8/12 by Thain Esh Kelch because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 29 2012 @ 05:56 PM
link   
reply to post by fooks

YIKES!!!!

That is one big spider. We have them around our house, they are common in the Midwest.

Now that we have a Jack Russell/Cairn Terrier mix, he will go after them and eat them before I can say "drop it".

Moles he will drop, spiders he won't. Saw him eat a big one the other day.............

He's braver than I am, thus his middle name "Brave Heart".

posted on Aug, 30 2012 @ 02:37 PM
link   
Lucky for us humans I don't think the spiders breathing apparatus (a book lung) is efficient enough to gather enough oxygen to fuel a spider over a certain size. I think thats the reason why all insects are relatively small.

Although if you ever have seen footage of the giant centipede eating, well, pretty much just about anything it wants. It will make you think twice about giant spiders.

posted on Aug, 30 2012 @ 02:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by Krono
Thank you for your replies. I think scientist have already de-bunked this. They state that spider can't become giants (when I mean giants I don't mean 100ft tall!) due to the low oxygen levels in the air. They said if they were big, they wouldn't be able to breath in enough oxygen to survive.

So I thought to myself...how do giraffes, elephants, crocodiles, humans, well large animals breath? how are we able to breath if the oxygen levels are low?

Lungs. Insects do not have lungs so they lack the surface area to absorb enough oxygen to support a larger mass.

posted on Aug, 30 2012 @ 03:14 PM
link   
reply to post by Thain Esh Kelch

Elephants, that's all I got to say to that!

Nah in all seriousness I genuinely forgot about this thread and I forgot I had an account! So I thought id try and liven it up.

posted on Sep, 5 2012 @ 06:14 AM
link   
This one always gave me goosebumps.

Spider eats bird article

posted on Sep, 5 2012 @ 06:54 AM
link   
This thread never fails to give me the absolute heebies but for some reason I come back to it every time there are new posts.

Some kind soul has uploaded Curse of the Black Widow to YouTube. I remember seeing it as a kid and being horrified. I haven't watched it again since but I'm about to now. It's in ten parts if you want to watch.

posted on Dec, 4 2012 @ 11:20 AM
link   
Just thought I'd bump this thread up.

Any other interesting stories/encounters?

I haven't found anything on the net, but I'll keep checking!

new topics

top topics

<< 3  4  5   >>

join