It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Giant spiders

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 18 2012 @ 02:08 PM
link   
reply to post by Krono

I don't know what that is & I really don't like the sound of it.....................nightmares tonight.
Cheers pal.

posted on Jan, 18 2012 @ 02:33 PM
link   
reply to post by supamoto

You're welcome.

posted on Jan, 18 2012 @ 04:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by Ookie
One spring afternoon I was fishing with my father in a small mountain stream. We stopped to admire a hummingbird drinking the nectar of an Easter lily. Suddenly something jumped up and snatched the bird out of the air and it and the bird hit the water. There was a small struggle and a giant (the size of a large dinner plate) spider was dragging the bird out of the water. It was then that Dad and I noticed that there were many of these spiders all around blending near perfectly with the rocks. Without saying a word to each other we picked up our poles and went home. We never spoke of it.

My neighbor came over and asked me if i could kill this spider for her hanging on the side of the garage, "I said yes" and grabbed the broom. We went outside and two other people were watching it. I rounded the corner of the garage and i stopped dead in my tracks. The f# thing was a foot in diameter. As i slowly walked up to it i could see that it was a hairy tan spider. I took a step back and threw the broom at it and i missed. The thing went lightning speed past me and i ran like hell, so did all the other people. A person spotted the thing running to the other corner of the garage. I went into my garage and got my shovel. I then spotted the spider in the long tall grass next to the garage. I again walked up to it and i stopped by it. I slowly raised the shovel and hit the spider dead. I was in utter fear. All i could think about was that i do not want this thing to have babies crawling around my house. God only knows what kind of spider that was and how deadly a bite. I hit it again to make sure it was dead and i stepped on the part of the spider to crush any babies it may be carrying. Now i live in MN. How can a foot in diameter spider like this live here in minnesota? I looked up on the web for spiders that looked like it and i never found one that looked like it and not to mention the size of the thing. I figured it was a mutant spider since we live by the sewer system. I also encountered a fly the size of a fifty cent peice. I was walking out to have a ciggarett and this thing buzzed by my head and i watched it land on my car. I walked up to it and looked at it awhile. I went back inside to show my roomate and we went to my car and it was gone. He did not believe me, but he got a shock a few minutes later when we were walking back in to the house when the thing flew past his head and flew away and landed on the deck. We both walked up to it to take a closer look. The thing flew at us and went over to the neighbors house somewhere.

posted on Jan, 18 2012 @ 06:51 PM
link   
I already know i won't be able to sleep for a week after looking at some of the pictures in this thread
Idk what it is about spiders but even the smallest ones make me scream like a little girl. I don't even want to imagine what i would do if they did find some "giant" spider somewhere, probably barricade myself in my house and never leave. Luckily in my part of New York we don't have anything as big of some of you guys but even the little ones cause me to vacate the room until i know its dead.

posted on Jan, 18 2012 @ 09:31 PM
link   
reply to post by supamoto

The photo in this link really freaked me out...Giant Spider Web in an East Texas State Park - 2007
www.texasento.net...

My computers presently unable to post the "giant sized spiders nest and web in the trees" photo,maybe someone could? It would be perfectly horrible for this thread...
edit on 18-1-2012 by blocula because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 18 2012 @ 09:37 PM
link   
The Goliath bird-eating spiders are considered to be very aggressive and do not make good pets. Unlike other spiders, who are noiseless, the Goliath bird-eating spider can make a hissing noise to frighten off threats by rubbing bristles on its legs together. They will also rear up on their hind legs in a threat position. Their two fangs have poison glands at their base.

They also spin large webs like nets between trees to ensnare and devour unsuspecting birds...

Goliath Bird Eating Spider > www.blueplanetbiomes.org...
edit on 18-1-2012 by blocula because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 19 2012 @ 11:40 AM
link   
Giant Golden Orb Weaver spider eating a bird caught on camera in Australia
www.telegraph.co.uk...
edit on 19-1-2012 by blocula because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 19 2012 @ 10:32 PM
link   
reply to post by cloaked4u

Thanks for telling that very vivid and frightening story,did you ever find out what kind of spider it was or why it was where it was? Someone should have taken a picture of it,although i understand that at the moment of surprised encounter,taking photos isnt a priority.When did this happen? Wheres theres one,theres surely more and just imagine the horror of realizing what a 3 or 4 foot wide spider could and would do to a person,i shudder at the thought...

Most people the world over dislike spiders and lots of people are terrified of them and the reasons for that must have something to do with very deep seated prehistoric race memories buried within our subconsciousness from countless encounters with large spiders and perhaps even giant spiders that must have happened to our ancestors again and again all throughout our distant past and even right up until now...

edit on 19-1-2012 by blocula because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 28 2012 @ 07:52 AM
link   
So....anyone come across a 5ft spider yet?

Nah, in all seriousness I don't think they exist. The fossil of the prehistoric spider was what...30cm long? And every creature seems to be getting smaller. Ahwell, there's always next year.

posted on Feb, 28 2012 @ 08:22 AM
link   

I like reading this thread every now and again. I actually haven't ran into any spiders lately... In fact, they seem really rare compared to like, a decade ago when I was hunting down the big ones in my house in my adolescence. Anyways, figured you guys would probably like this video; good old fashioned Canadian knowledge network stuff

posted on Feb, 28 2012 @ 08:36 AM
link   

Originally posted by Dimitri Dzengalshlevi

I like reading this thread every now and again. I actually haven't ran into any spiders lately... In fact, they seem really rare compared to like, a decade ago when I was hunting down the big ones in my house in my adolescence. Anyways, figured you guys would probably like this video; good old fashioned Canadian knowledge network stuff

Well the main reason for me making this thread was cause I'm fed up of the bigfoot threads. Also I have a weird fascination for spiders.

posted on Mar, 8 2012 @ 10:50 PM
link   
reply to post by Krono

Thousands of spiders invade australian farm,march 7th,2012,photos not for the weak of heart! > www.fyidailynews.com...

edit on 8-3-2012 by blocula because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 8 2012 @ 11:20 PM
link   
oooo I love spiders.

Here's some i photographed hanging around our backyard.

funny enough these bastards are everywhere in south west wa... also quite common in the gardens in sydney cbd.

not deadly.. you'd probably die from the heartattack instead of the bite

These ones are pretty fat and juicy.. but i have seen larger.

funny story:

back in yr5 ( i think i was like 11 ) our science class was studying spiders.
For some unknown reason we were encouraged to bring spiders in we catch at home, we had a large fishtank we'd put them in and study them. Of course some kinds came in one day with redbacks and whitetails and that bit of fun immediately stopped. But not before we had a collection of spiders... huntsman, orbweavers, wofl spiders.

One day during sports i had to run back to the classroom to get my hat, and i couldnt resist looking into the spider tank.

'BANG'

crap, i accidently hit the glass top and it falls in.. no way im putting my hand in there.. ill just run away pretending it wasnt me.

the next morning i come to class a friends runs up explaining somehow all the spiders got out.

WHOOPS!

I go into the class room and yep.. all the spiders are gone. in the top corner of our class room is an orbweavers who's spent the night making this f'kn huge cirqular web. IT was awesome.

but the best part?

was watching the girls FREAK OUT when they'd find a huntsman in their desk trays! bahahaha

posted on Mar, 8 2012 @ 11:29 PM
link   
reply to post by Agit8dChop

Your own back yard,how big is the spider in those photos anyways? and how do you comfortably fall asleep knowing those hideous and venomous creatures are roaming around?

posted on Mar, 8 2012 @ 11:34 PM
link   
Id say at a guess the size of the abdomen and head
4-5cms? (grabs ruler)
yeah that'd be about right

Well, these arent poisonous, and to be honest ive never seen one of these inside.. only outside under the porch or in the bushes.

Redbacks.. now ive caught some f'n big redbigs strolling through the house. there the ones you need to be careful off.

not my pic.. but if i took my camera out today at home i could snap atleast 4 of these bugrs sitting pretty!

posted on Mar, 8 2012 @ 11:37 PM
link   
reply to post by Agit8dChop

The red shape on that "red back" spider looks like an "hour glass" to me,meaning,"black widow"

posted on Mar, 10 2012 @ 05:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by Krono
Thank you for your replies. I think scientist have already de-bunked this. They state that spider can't become giants (when I mean giants I don't mean 100ft tall!) due to the low oxygen levels in the air. They said if they were big, they wouldn't be able to breath in enough oxygen to survive.

So I thought to myself...how do giraffes, elephants, crocodiles, humans, well large animals breath? how are we able to breath if the oxygen levels are low?

Yeah I think I remember seeing something in a documentary where they think there aren't many giant species left and why a lot of species have shrunk is because of how the environment and everything has changed over the years and that it just wouldn't be able to support them

posted on Mar, 11 2012 @ 12:18 AM
link   

Originally posted by doodles40

Originally posted by Krono
Thank you for your replies. I think scientist have already de-bunked this. They state that spider can't become giants (when I mean giants I don't mean 100ft tall!) due to the low oxygen levels in the air. They said if they were big, they wouldn't be able to breath in enough oxygen to survive.

So I thought to myself...how do giraffes, elephants, crocodiles, humans, well large animals breath? how are we able to breath if the oxygen levels are low?

Yeah I think I remember seeing something in a documentary where they think there aren't many giant species left and why a lot of species have shrunk is because of how the environment and everything has changed over the years and that it just wouldn't be able to support them
Then why are whales and elephants and other animals more or less still the same size as their giant ancestors and so why not giant spiders as well?
edit on 11-3-2012 by blocula because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 11 2012 @ 03:01 AM
link   
reply to post by blocula

They aren't. There used to be giant prehistoric versions of elephants and whales. There used to be bigger versions of whale www.livescience.com...

Also take crocodiles for an example they used to be giant

Read this en.wikipedia.org...

And as for elephants there was the Primelephas www.ourstory.com...

Sorry I'm not being a smart ass or anything just happened to catch a few documentaries on these things

edit on 11-3-2012 by doodles40 because: (no reason given)

edit on 11-3-2012 by doodles40 because: fixing retardedness

posted on Mar, 11 2012 @ 03:24 AM
link   
This is our regular household spider called a "Huntsman". They are harmless but give you one hell of a fright when they pop up out of nowhere. Measuring 5" across at maturity I would suggest that this one is in an appropriate place of the household:

This one (not a Huntsman) from a back yard in Adelaide (I believe) went viral across the web when it was first published:

edit on 11-3-2012 by OzTiger because: addition

edit on 11-3-2012 by OzTiger because: (no reason given)

edit on 11-3-2012 by OzTiger because: spelling

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6 >>

join