It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Scientists Release Most Accurate Simulation of the Universe to Date

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 30 2011 @ 02:23 PM
link   

Scientists Release Most Accurate Simulation of the Universe to Date

ScienceDaily The Bolshoi supercomputer simulation, the most accurate and detailed large cosmological simulation run to date, gives physicists and astronomers a powerful new tool for understanding such cosmic mysteries as galaxy formation, dark matter, and dark energy.

The simulation traces the evolution of the large-scale structure of the universe, including the evolution and distribution of the dark matter halos in which galaxies coalesced and grew. Initial studies show good agreement between the simulation's predictions and astronomers' observations.

I suppose the big question is whether or not this is solid proof of the big bang theory. Personally I think the big bang theory is probably correct although I still don't think it rules out the possibility, if not the probability of much larger things than our own universe alone. Even so the big bang theory could be completely wrong for all we know.

I hope plenty of decent research is done into the amount of intelligent life there should theoretically be in our universe. With advancements in technology like this it is going to be harder and harder to deny the probability of many different intelligent lifeforms throughout our universe.

People may throw this around as proof of one argument or another but you always have to remember that there are more important questions than just how we are here. What about why?

Science Daily

edit on 26/10/2010 by TechUnique because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 30 2011 @ 03:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by TechUnique
People may throw this around as proof of one argument or another but you always have to remember that there are more important questions than just how we are here. What about why?

Science Daily

This video shows such a model rotated in 3D so you can get a better view of it from different angles:

George Smoot: The design of the universe

However the low resolution youtube version doesn't do it justice. To see it more clearly, go to the TED website and download the high resolution version and watch that, it's much better.

This latest model mentioned in the OP is tweaked, but you or I looking at the different versions might have trouble telling them apart, they would still look similar.

It may prove some things, like whether or not the formation of the "great wall" was possible in only 14 billion years since the big bang. Some people have claimed such a structure would take longer to form, but I think they've made errors.

The biggest reason why we can't claim these are final "proof" is that the models rely heavily on the use of "dark matter", and we still don't know what dark matter is. Until we know what dark matter is and can confirm its existence, it's hard to have complete confidence in the model. I rather look at it as "today's best guess", and not some irrefutable pinnacle of scientific achievement. Once we figure out the dark matter mystery (which I think we will eventually), this model could change significantly, since it contains more dark matter than regular matter!

Regarding the WHY we are here instead of the HOW we got here, humans seem to have more trouble figuring that out than other life forms, as this illustration shows:

edit on 30-9-2011 by Arbitrageur because: clarification

new topics

join