It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Delete...Thxs

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 30 2011 @ 02:15 PM
link   

edit on 30-9-2011 by Manhater because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 30 2011 @ 02:20 PM
link   
Your better off asking a autism forum your question. I don't think I'm allowed posting a link to another forum so I'm sending a PM.

posted on Sep, 30 2011 @ 02:22 PM
link   
Your better off looking for local resources that deal with the autistic then trying to solicit advice on this forum.

I love conspiracy theory but this is not a good place for medical or psychological advice.

Bob

posted on Sep, 30 2011 @ 02:23 PM
link   

Just signed up thanks.

posted on Sep, 30 2011 @ 02:38 PM
link   
reply to post by Manhater

When an autistic child can't find the words to express their anxieties or anger they will sometimes hit.
My oldest daughter (17) tries to hit when she gets upset for this reason.

A method that works well is to ensure that they have a safe room for them to go when things don't seem to be going well. For example, our daughter has a sensory room in our house (our spare bedroom)(my former den) where her things are. We put down a foam puzzle floor for her with her K-nex and some books among other things that she uses to calm herself down. When we see her getting frustrated with a situation we remind her gently that it might be a good idea to go there to calm down and write down what she needs to tell us. We're lucky, her school has also supplied several rooms for autistic children where they have these same tools.

It does work. Patience and the ability to catch those signs of anxiety before they blow up. That is the ticket.

Hope this helps.

PS: It doesn't need to be a whole room, but it should be away from others and most importantly it is not a punishment area. It is a place for them to calm down, de-stress and think.

posted on Sep, 30 2011 @ 03:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by palg1
reply to post by Manhater

Maybe I won't say punishment room for being a bad girl anymore. More like a room to go calm down and play. Thank you. That helps a bit. Helping her with her home work right now. She's being calm.

top topics

join