It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Rogers Rangers 1759

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 30 2011 @ 12:01 PM
link   
Here’s a little look back at history… the year was 1759… the event the American revolutionary war…the unit would become the precursor to today’s US Army Rangers… great advice even in this day and age

STANDING ORDERS, ROGERS' RANGERS
1. Don't forget nothing.

2. Have your musket clean as a whistle, hatchet scoured, sixty rounds powder and ball, and be ready to march at a minute's warning.

3. When you're on the march, act the way you would if you was sneaking up on a deer. See the enemy first.

4. Tell the truth about what you see and what you do. There is an army depending on us for correct information. You can lie
all you please when you tell other folks about the Rangers, but don't never lie to a Ranger or officer.

5. Don't never take a chance you don't have to.

6. When we're on the march we march single file, far enough apart so one shot can't go through two men.

7. If we strike swamps, or soft ground, we spread out abreast, so it's hard to track us.

8. When we march, we keep moving till dark, so as to give the enemy the least possible chance at us.

9. When we camp, half the party stays awake while the other half sleeps.

10. If we take prisoners, we keep' em separate till we have had time to examine them, so they can't cook up a story
between' em.

11. Don't ever march home the same way. Take a different route so you won't be ambushed.

12. No matter whether we travel in big parties or little ones, each party has to keep a scout 20 yards ahead, 20 yards on each
flank, and 20 yards in the rear so the main body can't be surprised and wiped out.

13. Every night you'll be told where to meet if surrounded by a superior force.

14. Don't sit down to eat without posting sentries.

15. Don't sleep beyond dawn. Dawn's when the French and Indians attack.

16. Don't cross a river by a regular ford.

17. If somebody's trailing you, make a circle, come back onto your own tracks, and ambush the folks that aim to ambush you.

18. Don't stand up when the enemy's coming against you. Kneel down, lie down, hide behind a tree.

19. Let the enemy come till he's almost close enough to touch, then let him have it and jump out and finish him up with
your hatchet.
--MAJOR ROBERT ROGERS, 1759

edit on 30-9-2011 by DaddyBare because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 30 2011 @ 12:20 PM
link   
Daddybare- this wikipedia link has the 28 standing orders for 'ranging' that Robert Rogers put out for his men:

Robert Rogers 28 Rules of Ranging

S&F, as always.... There are some very good books available about the Rangers battles.
edit on 30-9-2011 by butcherguy because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 30 2011 @ 12:22 PM
link   
fascinating how military doctrine in 1759 was so valid in 1942, or even today.
thx for posting
"Keep your powder dry."

posted on Sep, 30 2011 @ 12:22 PM
link   
Actually, the "event" is the French and Indian War. But, cool nonetheless.

and, technically, they were colonists attached to the British Army. So not really a straight-line descent to the US Army.
edit on 30/9/11 by 35Foxtrot because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 30 2011 @ 12:31 PM
link   
as a kid i remember watching north west passage, the story of rogers rangers with Spencer Tracy here is clip www.tcm.com... i have yet to find a book that has all the pages, seems the ones i find all the rules are taken, or the maps

posted on Sep, 30 2011 @ 12:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by 35Foxtrot

and, technically, they were colonists attached to the British Army. So not really a straight-line descent to the US Army.
The Ranger Rules were read to the WWII Rangers.

A modified version of the rules are still posted at the 75th Ranger Battalion HQ, I believe.

posted on Sep, 30 2011 @ 12:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by butcherguy

A modified version of the rules are still posted at the 75th Ranger Battalion HQ, I believe.

No argument. I'm simply stating that his reference to the Revolutionary War is wrong and tat these "Rangers" were actually British so the line of descent is a little murky if you try to say Roger's Rangers were the direct antecedents of US Army Rangers.

posted on Sep, 30 2011 @ 12:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by butcherguy

No argument. I'm simply stating that his reference to the Revolutionary War is wrong and tat these "Rangers" were actually British so the line of descent is a little murky if you try to say Roger's Rangers were the direct antecedents of US Army Rangers.
Absolutely correct.

In fact Robert Rogers fought with the British in the Revolutionary War.

posted on Sep, 30 2011 @ 08:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by bekod
as a kid i remember watching north west passage, the story of rogers rangers with Spencer Tracy here is clip www.tcm.com... i have yet to find a book that has all the pages, seems the ones i find all the rules are taken, or the maps

That was a great movie! One I need to add to my collection..

posted on Sep, 30 2011 @ 08:15 PM
link   
reply to post by DaddyBare

Hatchet scoured...(what does that even mean??) yikes, brutal war to be sure. Gives me the shivers thinking about the way they fought each other. Hard core, though. And people say what a violent world we live in today....

Thanks for the post, DB always informative...

edit on 30-9-2011 by queenofsheba because: spelling

posted on Sep, 30 2011 @ 08:23 PM
link   

6. When we're on the march we march single file, far enough apart so one shot can't go through two men.

but thats how we shoot turkeys back home Sgt.,,,ammunition is mighty scare you know,, and well Paw would ask us ,,how many turkeys??,, of course he only gave me one bullet,,

ok,,ok,ok,, Private York,,,just shoot ,,again,,,

posted on Sep, 30 2011 @ 09:22 PM
link   

4. Tell the truth about what you see and what you do. There is an army depending on us for correct information. You can lie
all you please when you tell other folks about the Rangers, but don't never lie to a Ranger or officer.

caught one lol

posted on Sep, 30 2011 @ 09:27 PM
link   

See,,

www.abovetopsecret.com...

another answer.

"when it is an ,,,,,,,,,,average,,or ~ approximation.

but a real lie is easy too spot,,
as well.

play with it,, might be handy,,

posted on Sep, 30 2011 @ 09:28 PM
link   
reply to post by BobAthome

always liked that one

all you please when you tell other folks about the Rangers, but don't never lie to a Ranger or Officer.

thats Capital O

edit on 30-9-2011 by BobAthome because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 30 2011 @ 10:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by queenofsheba

Hatchet scoured...(what does that even mean??) yikes, brutal war to be sure. Gives me the shivers thinking about the way they fought each other. Hard core, though. And people say what a violent world we live in today....

Thanks for the post, DB always informative...

edit on 30-9-2011 by queenofsheba because: spelling

Pages:
ATS Members have flagged this thread 3 times
Topic started on 30-9-2011 @ 09:02 PM by Heyyo_yoyo
World Net Daily posted an article Aug 12th with the entitlement:

U.S. warned of threat worse than Katrina, plague, WWII Read more: U.S. warned of threat worse than Katrina, plague, WWII

well may be worth Following???????

looks like bad guys are,, ?????

posted on Sep, 30 2011 @ 10:23 PM
link   
opps double post

posted on Sep, 30 2011 @ 10:34 PM
link   
17. If somebody's trailing you, make a circle, come back onto your own tracks, and ambush the folks that aim to ambush you.

18. Don't stand up when the enemy's coming against you. Kneel down, lie down, hide behind a tree.

and remember,,

dont ever pass up a chance for St.John's medic training,,,

posted on Sep, 30 2011 @ 10:38 PM
link   

edit on 30-9-2011 by queenofsheba because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 30 2011 @ 10:54 PM
link   
reply to post by queenofsheba

nothing
important,,

Rogers Rangers 1759

its about,, dogs of war ,,make sence?

posted on Sep, 30 2011 @ 11:03 PM
link   
I have been reading a book about Rogers time in service both during the French and Indian war and the Revolutionary war. It's called War on the Run. Not too mention some events he was involved with are part of some paranormal lore. Quite the interesting life Rogers led!

new topics

top topics

join