It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Living in Paradise

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 30 2011 @ 09:18 AM
link   
This thread was inspired by a post I saw on a thread, which resonated within me. They desired to live in a place where they could see and feel nature, instead of the urban pit they currently lived in.

Now my purpose in starting this thread is to provoke thought in how you can make your environment better without changing where you live. Simple things that can bring nature nearer and give you a sense of being out there, no matter where you live.

Now I truly believe that the world is not going to end, now or in 2012. No matter how much we wish it would. I believe that this is a reflection of our desire to get back to a more natural way of living. Ask yourselves honestly - what would you give to live a more free lifestyle - to not be in the thrall of 'The Man'? How many of you have wished for the end of the world because it free's you from that time honoured ritual of clocking in.

My own personal fantasy would have me living on a small holding in rural Dorset (UK), living close to the earth and providing for my family whilst watching the seasons roll by in unending glory.

However, reality holds sway. I work in a bank and have to be nice to people who ask ridiculous questions that I really can't answer - like - are you going to go bust? Honestly - if I had the answer, which is sodding unlikely cos I'm a pleb in the universe of banking, would I really tell you?!

However, I can make my fantasy real in little increments that add up to a whole that is better.

I can bake my own bread. I have a machine. Although I used to do it all by hand - I now use a bread machine to do the hard work and then shape by hand and bake in my oven. (as I type I have some on a final prove before going into the oven.)

I brew my own ale and wine. It doesn't take much equipment. Check it out - its really simple. Just don't stint on the sterilising!

You want to get close to nature - buy a pot plant or three. You have a balcony? Clean it off and put plants out there. They will clean the air coming through the flat/apartment.

Grow herbs! You choose! Put them on your window sills. Fill the whole place with budding life and see how it makes you feel. Just don't forget to water them.

Make sure your home environment is uncluttered. Do a spring clean - even if its the middle of winter. Recycle or give to charity the stuff that you don't need. Trust me - this will give you space and make you feel good! Nature is nothing but spacious - unless you're looking for an amazonian feel and then I would say - declutter and then fill with date palms.

Make your own chutney - its just fruit and veg with vinegar and some sugar. Its sooo very easy - just remember to save jars so you have something to put it in.

Jam is even easier. Fruit and sugar.

Daddybear showed you how to make butter - go do it. All you need is cream and a jar. Its really easy!!!!

These are a few of my ideas and thoughts on the subject. I hope there will be a few more. But one thing I would like to say - its not where you live physically but where you reside mentally!

Here's to making it paradise.....

Over to you ....

posted on Sep, 30 2011 @ 09:44 AM
link   
Mods - please delete this as for some reason its posted twice. Thk u.

posted on Sep, 30 2011 @ 10:15 AM
link   
Well done .. S&F one other tip to help bring nature into the house indoor fountains . Not sure if can find them over there but here in asia they're quite common in alot of households along with aquariums.
Very relaxing to have .
Haven't got as live out in the middle of nowhere and plenty of noise from the birds and animals in the jungle..

posted on Oct, 1 2011 @ 12:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by Expat888

Haven't got as live out in the middle of nowhere and plenty of noise from the birds and animals in the jungle..

LOL Bet that's really noisy.

A water feature is a fabulous idea - mind you I might end up trying to cannibalise it into some sort of hydro-power.

An aquarium is also an excellent idea - I had one for years - found it very restful. I even had tank frogs in it. They were totally fascinating. I used to love the way they would suddenly come up from the bottom of the tank to take air. They were also awesome escape artists.

posted on Oct, 2 2011 @ 11:17 PM
link   
I live in a sterile estate in the suburbs. It is under 10 yrs old. One of the first things I did upon moving in was to plant native plant species, endemic to our area in the neighbourhood's parks to replace the ones the developers destroyed when they put the estate in. I'm not fooling myself that it will ever be anywhere near as natural and diverse as it was before, but if we all chipped in a tiny bit we'd notice a big difference. Also I tore out everything the landscapers planted in my garden and replaced it with endemics or natives and have eliminated more than half of my lawn. There isn't a moment of the day I can't hear birds in my yard, we even get sugar-gliders feeding on the banksia nectar early in the evenings in spring and summer. You don't need a big yard, look around near where you live, I'm sure you will find an empty space that could house a shrub or tree that will enhance the look of your neighbourhood, not to mention all the other benefits too!

posted on Oct, 4 2011 @ 02:18 PM
link   
reply to post by Silverkiss

Absolutely - I couldn't agree more!

Even one small flowering plant in a garden is going to attract bees.

The more green corridors that we can create in our city/town environs the better. Our bird and insect life is incredibly important. Insects pollinate plants and birds spread seeds. They add and promote a diverse world.

new topics

top topics

join