It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Hidden Refinery Caverns

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 30 2011 @ 08:47 AM
link   
Last night while talking to a family member about her past employment at a local refinery (Which is in the process of going out of business).. she started telling me about these Pipe Lines that ran all over our county.. and these Caverns that were man mad 4 miles down into the ground and at least 10 miles wide containing Oil, Gas and other dangerous chemicals. These are under houses in our area… There is a pipe line ran directly from the Refinery to the Airport supplying Jet Fuel… Does anyone not realize how dangerous that is? This pipeline is under houses, schools, hospitals, and churches!!! When this company goes out of business what happens to all the oil and gas left in the Caverns? Are they going to take it all out?? No one wants to purchase this refinery because of the caverns that are below it…

When they built the caverns, they obviously used machinery.. but when building was done.. there was no way to get the machinery out.. so It is a disassembled, in the cavern spread out so that no piece touches another to induce a spark which could ignite the whole cavern. My family member said that the caverns are filled enough that if one of them exploded our whole count would be wiped off the map…

**She only knows this because one of a her jobs was to check the inventory of the 4 caverns every day and fax a report to to county Judges, a State Rep, her CEO of the company and her supervisor.

She’s told me of stories of leaks… even if the cavern is .5ml off of inventory they would send a crew out searching for the leak….
Each house that is located above the caverns has a meter in the basement, which tells you the reading of a few different chemicals… if it fluctuates, they have to call 911 immediately…

HOW IS THIS LEGAL???

posted on Sep, 30 2011 @ 08:53 AM
link   
Now THAT is scary!

I had heard of similar stories, but had never heard any accounts from someone who had spoken directly with a person involved with such a place.

Is there a way to find out where these are located? And where the piping may be?

This story makes me wonder how many other places are left in like manner and not being checked on any longer.

posted on Sep, 30 2011 @ 08:59 AM
link   
reply to post by summer5

Most of the caverns are located under the refinery. It is a VERY large Refinery taking up almost ¼ of a busy local town. And actually falls over into another state as it is built right along the state border… anyway there are 9 houses to which the Caverns are under… and while you may thing “Oh its only 9 houses”… that’s 9 family’s who could be killed in the middle of the night because they don’t smell the hazardous gasses leaking into their house….

posted on Sep, 30 2011 @ 09:01 AM
link   
4 miles down????

That's a stretch.

We have deep mines where I am from, some of the deepest at 7000 ft. It is so hot that most of the process has to be automated and workers can only work for five to ten minutes at a time maximum.

Huge caverns at 4 miles down with huge pipelines is almost impossible. If they go far even more impossible. Perhaps there is a small shaft with a pipeline but nothing with an underground refinery. Most pipelines that move gas and oil are above ground or buried under a raised mound.

Oh and at 4 miles down you would feel an explosion but it wouldn't affect you much above ground.

posted on Sep, 30 2011 @ 09:17 AM
link   
you realize that in the grand scheme of things, the stoichiometery leaves only a very small window of the 'right blend' of oxygen and fuel that can be ignited by any accidental means like a spark from tools.

that is assuming you believe the story

posted on Sep, 30 2011 @ 09:19 AM
link   
reply to post by Britx

Have to ask. What State is this in?

posted on Sep, 30 2011 @ 09:21 AM
link   
Good point. Maybe she was exaggerating the 4 miles down I did read an article though where they said there was 11 miles of acre under the refinery

Heres a link to a picture I found of it.

Picture
edit on 30/9/2011 by Britx because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 30 2011 @ 09:21 AM
link   
reply to post by Britx

What state/county do you live in? I'm just trying to get a better idea where these caverns are located at.

posted on Sep, 30 2011 @ 09:22 AM
link   
reply to post by lokdog

The refinery is in Marcus Hook, PA.

posted on Sep, 30 2011 @ 09:24 AM
link   
The stuff that sits below the feet of ontoppers. Thanks for sharing this information. 1 has thought if there are dumbs which there are and that they may be connected that there must be underground nuclearplants for energy ect. When you look deeper into things its clear that what many feel is important to them is not to others in reference to houses being built above dangerous things. SnF

edit on 9/30/11 by Ophiuchus 13 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 30 2011 @ 09:29 AM
link   
Not to downplay what your friend told you, but I think something got lost in translation.

The caverns they are most likely referring to are not manmade (mostly) but natural formations and used to store natural gas, not liquid petrochemicals. The manmade formations consist of old salt mines, but they mainly use depleted gas fields and deep aquifers for storage.

More on Storage

As mentioned, there are three main types of underground natural gas storage facilities. Specific characteristics of depleted reservoirs, aquifers, and salt caverns may be found below. Essentially, any underground storage facility is reconditioned before injection, to create a sort of storage vessel underground. Natural gas is injected into the formation, building up pressure as more natural gas is added. In this sense, the underground formation becomes a sort of pressurized natural gas container. As with newly drilled wells, the higher the pressure in the storage facility, the more readily gas may be extracted. Once the pressure drops to below that of the wellhead, there is no pressure differential left to push the natural gas out of the storage facility. This means that, in any underground storage facility, there is a certain amount of gas that may never be extracted. This is known as physically unrecoverable gas; it is permanently embedded in the formation.

They store the gas in these geological formations because at times gas supply from the fields outstrips demand from users. Its surge capacity. I have done work at the Manlove Field storage depot in Champaign County Illinois. Its a very large facility, 40 billion-cubic-feet, and has operated without incident for decades.

As far as the explosive potential, there isn’t any. You need three things for combustion: fuel, oxygen and a spark. The reservoirs have plenty of fuel, but no oxygen or an ignition source. If these reservoirs were really as dangerous as your friend lets on, don’t you think there would have been at least one accident in the 60 years we have been using them?

edit on 30-9-2011 by SirMike because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 30 2011 @ 09:35 AM
link   
Storing petroleum products in either natural or man-made caverns is a common and long established practice. A simple google would have told you as much. And if there were no way to bring the equipment up piece by piece, how were they dis-assembled and scattered? The oil and nat gas came from caverns and pockets underground, why would it be dangerous to put it back in one? Probably the safest place as long as it's under any local aquifer.

As far as the pipeline goes, there are pipelines running under most counties, people just never think to look. In fact the Gov maintains a database that YOU YOURSELF can look to see what pipelines are near to where you live.

It's here National Pipeline Mapping System

Not trying to rain on anyone's parade, but still.
edit on 9/30/2011 by Montana because: Because I can't spelltoday.

posted on Sep, 30 2011 @ 09:39 AM
link   
reply to post by Britx

Here is an article that I just found...

Here

Some of the story goes with my ffamily members.. other parts do not.. I however do not beleive this one just becuase of the other stories I have heard from her time spent there.
edit on 30/9/2011 by Britx because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 30 2011 @ 09:43 AM
link   
Marcus HookMarcus Hook

"After 13 months of mining, engineers recently hewed out a cavern from the granite 380 feet below the Sun Oil Co. refinery at Marcus Hook, Pa."

Some more accurate info.

posted on Sep, 30 2011 @ 09:44 AM
link   

Originally posted by Montana

It's here National Pipeline Mapping System

Thanks for the link, this was the first I had ever heard of these pipe lines.

Also, to The poster that said they are probably above ground I can almost garuntee they are not. There is no pipes anywhere above ground.

posted on Sep, 30 2011 @ 09:49 AM
link   
So the story is obviously true, with the exception of the depth, which is not 4 miles, but 300 feet.

That makes this a safety issue, IMO. Maybe not explosions, but a collapse problem, what with the VA quake recently. Both gases are heavier than air so any leakage would be downwards, not up. But... if the caverns were to take on water suddenly and the gas had an avenue of escape, it could be forced out. Man-made caverns storing liquid propane and butane? At least they are carved from a vein of granite.
edit on 30-9-2011 by butcherguy because: To add.

posted on Sep, 30 2011 @ 09:57 AM
link   
reply to post by Montana

Are you a government employee? Because in order to gain access to that site it states:

Access to PIMMA is limited to Federal, State, and Local Government officials as well as pipeline operators. PIMMA access cannot be given to any person who is not a direct employee of a government agency. All applications will be processed by PHMSA personnel, who will respond as soon as possible

posted on Sep, 30 2011 @ 09:59 AM
link   
reply to post by SirMike

According to the article she posted, articles.philly.com...

"Taking advantage of a 500-foot granite vein that runs about 25 feet below ground, Sun officials started planning the first storage cavern in the 1950s. It would be dug out of solid granite 300 feet underground. Located in the western end of the refinery just off Post Road, it was completed and filled with liquid butane in 1958.

From 1961 to 1976, four more caverns were dug, the largest and last with a capacity of more than a million barrels. Raver, at work on cavern No. Five, dealt mostly with the above-ground operations. He watched the heavy machinery being dismantled so that it could be lowered, piece by piece, down the shaft to the cavern."

These were man made / dug / blasted...just sayin

posted on Sep, 30 2011 @ 10:00 AM
link   

The caverns they are most likely referring to are not manmade (mostly) but natural formations and used to store natural gas, not liquid petrochemicals. The manmade formations consist of old salt mines, but they mainly use depleted gas fields and deep aquifers for storage.
reply to post by SirMike

According to the previously linked news story, these man-made caverns were carved out of a vein of granite, for the express purpose of storing liquid propane and butane.

I'll re-post the link: Link

posted on Sep, 30 2011 @ 10:05 AM
link   

Originally posted by butcherguy

reply to post by SirMike

According to the previously linked news story, these man-made caverns were carved out of a vein of granite, for the express purpose of storing liquid propane and butane.

I'll re-post the link: Link

I was unaware that they did this anywhere, let alone at Marcus Hook! Quite interesting. This leads me to believe the OP's friend must have worked here, because I have never heard of this being done anywhere else.
edit on 30-9-2011 by SirMike because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join