It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

SCI/TECH: California to Vote on $3B Stem Cell Project

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 27 2004 @ 04:23 AM
link   
The voters in California will have an oppurunity to vote on a ballot measure that would dedicate $3 billion to human embryonic stem cell experiments. This project, if enacted, would dwarf all current research funding in the field.

news.yahoo.com
SAN FRANCISCO - Silicon Valley tycoons, Nobel laureates and Hollywood celebrities are backing a measure on California's Nov. 2 ballot to devote $3 billion to human embryonic stem cell experiments in what would be the biggest-ever state-supported scientific research program in the country.

The measure � designed to get around the Bush administration's restrictions on the funding of such research � would put California at the very forefront of the field. It would dwarf all current stem cell projects in the United States, whether privately or publicly financed.

Proposition 71 promises to be one of the most contentious election issues in California, pitting scientists, sympathetic patients who could benefit from stem cells and biotechnology interests against the Roman Catholic Church and conservatives opposed to the research because it involves destroying days-old embryos and cloning.

What's more, cell research has emerged as a major campaign issue between President Bush (news - web sites) and John Kerry (news - web sites), who promises if elected to reverse Bush's 2001 policy restricting federal funding of such experiments to only those cell lines already in existence

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

This measure IMHO is going to be the best way around the ultra right wing influenced Bush decision regarding human embryonic stem cell research. By financing the research over 10 years, the state will also create jobs and potentially become a center for cell research.

Related News Links:
www.noonprop71.org
www.curesforcalifornia.com
story.news.yahoo.com

[edit on 8-27-2004 by Valhall]

posted on Aug, 27 2004 @ 05:07 AM
link   
Turn that 3b to 30b and now we're talking. But then again this is just one state even if that state happens to be the 5th biggest economy in the world. I believe this measure will pass. I believe this referendum will be a slam dunk in cali. Now the question is will it percolate over to other more conservative states? I don't know. I really hope it jump starts this fields, because the US is falling behind in Stem Cell reasearch.

posted on Aug, 27 2004 @ 05:15 AM
link   

Originally posted by sardion2000
Turn that 3b to 30b and now we're talking. But then again this is just one state even if that state happens to be the 5th biggest economy in the world. I believe this measure will pass. I believe this referendum will be a slam dunk in cali. Now the question is will it percolate over to other more conservative states? I don't know. I really hope it jump starts this fields, because the US is falling behind in Stem Cell reasearch.

I agree, but it is a start. 30B would be a hard sell to the voters here in CA. But 3B in bonds should pass. The forces are already gearing up for a fight. Had a No on 71 at my door the other day and guess what, he could not come up with a resonable answer to my questions. Funny when you get those Ultra Right WIngers off thier prepared script they begin to flounder

posted on Aug, 27 2004 @ 05:22 AM
link   
It isn't natural, I would vote, veto against it if possible. But no one with multi billion dallor investments or government ties is going to listen to wee oh me. Or any one else who isn't paying for that matter, just like voting. Does it really matter what we decide or think we should decide, when behind the scenes deals are made?

Sure we as a people, can make a difference, but our voice has to be one.

Even if everything cannot be agreed upon, essential interests should.
It is essential that we as a whole are interested in what the long term effects or affects that can take place from GM, just look at pharmaceuticals and other man made meds, side effects.

It is essential that we a a whole are interested in the future of our ecosystem, or are there really so many people who just don't give a damn about our grandchildrens futures.

The ME generation has to go, just as fast as the 90s faded. People are to material and not realistic enough.

Ok, enough I'm beginning to side track.

posted on Aug, 27 2004 @ 05:27 AM
link   

Originally posted by ADVISOR
Even if everything cannot be agreed upon, essential interests should.
It is essential that we as a whole are interested in what the long term effects or affects that can take place from GM, just look at pharmaceuticals and other man made meds, side effects.

Advisor, are you objecting to the stem cell research from a genetic manipulation standpoint? I agree with you that gene manipulation etc, need to be carefully considered and not be manipulated for sake of manipulation. But having had a grandfather with alzheimers and a father in law with Parkinsons, a mother who died of an agressive leukemia, a mother in law who was just diagnosed with the same type of leukemia as my mom (Its really weird), I will support anything that would prevent these diseases from ever seeing the light of day.

posted on Aug, 27 2004 @ 05:27 AM
link   
ADVISER, Stem Cells are not GMOs! I really don't care where they come from and if they can do what the scientists say they can do then Im all for it. GMOs is a totally different issue and should not be confused with Stem Cells. ADVISER is you objections based on Morality or do you want Humanity to just be more carefull with new technology? If it's the latter then I would be more worried about GMOs and Nanotechnology.

EDIT: Spelling

[edit on 27-8-2004 by sardion2000]

posted on Aug, 27 2004 @ 05:49 AM
link   
The throw these same types of fertilized embryos away everyday at fertility clinics!!!!

The drug and insurance industries don't want to see this tech go ahead, you won't need most of it.

We have lost some of the top Stem Cell research companies to other nations when Bush signed that!!!

Geron of Calif moved most of it's facilities to Scotland and the Rosyln Institute.
They hold most of the tech patents and research patents.
Geron Corp

posted on Aug, 27 2004 @ 06:29 AM
link   

Originally posted by Tesla
The throw these same types of fertilized embryos away everyday at fertility clinics!!!!
Geron of Calif moved most of it's facilities to Scotland and the Rosyln Institute.
They hold most of the tech patents and research patents.
Geron Corp

All the more reson to progres with the research at the state level and go from there. The University of California system of schools is up to the task.

posted on Aug, 29 2004 @ 12:34 AM
link   
Do some more study on the issue. The only way to make any cures from embryonic stem cell research available to the public is through therapeutic cloning.

To do that, you need lots of eggs. Where do they come from? Donors? Women paid to take drugs to hyperovulate?

The cost-effective option is to create transgenic embryos by mixing human DNA with the eggs of pigs or cows, which has already been done. The big question, of course, is what the effects are of mixing genetic material from different species.

Geneticists don't know yet. Wanna find out?

Not me.

top topics

join