It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

'Stay sober' pill?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 30 2011 @ 08:10 AM
link   
Science never ceases to amaze me. The things they study!

Good news for those who wear lampshades at company parties: Scientists are developing a “stay sober” pill that should even keep keg stand participants on their feet.

The Telegraph reports the new pill will “stop people embarrassing themelves (sic),” which may also be possible by imbibing moderate amounts and not speaking honestly.

Allegedly, the drug focuses on “glial cells” which make up 90 percent of the non-pickled brain. Turn off those cells, which play a part in the immune system, and a Long Island Iced Tea has the same effect as an Arnold Palmer.

This is a great invention for someone who cannot control their social drinking, but how will this stop people from drunk driving? Their BAC will still show up on the breathilizer even though they believe they're OK to drive.
(And I must say -- them elves sure know how to party!)

But, this was the truly amazing part of the entire study!

Mice given the pill along with rat-killing amounts of booze didn’t stumble or slur their speech, but were unable to dance or even strike up a lively conversation with lady mice.

Who are these scientists and where did they get mice who can talk, dance, and hit on females?!?!

The drug could be available to binge drinkers and alcoholics within three years, reports Australia’s Herald-Sun.

Maybe three years is when the gag order on the mice expires? Just kidding.

Well, I just don't know what to think about this new drug. It seems as though it may lead to other problems as well. Not to mention, the article didn't say how the mice felt in the morning.

edit on 30-9-2011 by Afterthought because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 30 2011 @ 08:13 AM
link   
this seems like a bad idea to me
theres a reason the body reacts that way to alcohol

posted on Sep, 30 2011 @ 08:18 AM
link   
Ok, maybe I'm being blunt here but if you take a "stay sober" pill... what's the point of getting drunk in the first place? I thought the whole point of it was to get a nice buzz, get a bit of confidence back and just loosen up a bit.

Surely taking a pill to stay sober completely destroys the reason for needing to take it in the first place.

posted on Sep, 30 2011 @ 08:21 AM
link   
If a person cant drink moderately how is a pill that inhibits intoxication going to help them since for these people intoxication is the point of drinking?

I predict an awful lot of poisoning cases as these people consume dangerous amounts seeking that intoxicated affect.

Imagine vomiting and passing out while remaining perfectly sober. The drunk might not be there but the toxins still are.

posted on Sep, 30 2011 @ 08:22 AM
link   
What happens if you took one of these pills when drunk? Slightly off topic, but I remember reading about hangover-free alcohol many years ago, have there been any developments on this?

posted on Sep, 30 2011 @ 08:27 AM
link   
reply to post by Afterthought

been there done that,

it's called,

lobotomy.

where's that lamp!!

posted on Sep, 30 2011 @ 08:27 AM
link   
Agreed! Getting buzzed is the whole point of drinking. Plus, as one commenter stated, the pill wouldn't prevent a person from dying of accute alcohol poisoning. We pass out so we won't drink ourselves to death, right?

Yes, this is a bad idea all the way around.
(I still want one of those mice though!)

posted on Sep, 30 2011 @ 08:28 AM
link   

Originally posted by john_bmth
What happens if you took one of these pills when drunk? Slightly off topic, but I remember reading about hangover-free alcohol many years ago, have there been any developments on this?

just drink a bit of water every couple of drinks
works for me

posted on Sep, 30 2011 @ 08:41 AM
link   
Its ridiculous to have a pill to stay sober. "Stay sober pills" Isnt that kind of an oxy moron?

So let me get this straight. This is a pill for high school girls who want to look cool in front of their friends but not get caught by their parents right? Seriously, what adult is going to take this?

posted on Sep, 30 2011 @ 08:44 AM
link   
They could just design a pill to make you feel/appear to be drunk. This way a person wouldn't have to make so many trips to the bathroom and not have a hangover in the morning. I doubt you'd be able to drive, but this makes more sense to me. You'd also save money on the amount of alcohol you'd have to consume. One beer, wine, etc. would do it for you.

posted on Sep, 30 2011 @ 12:08 PM
link   
What the hell is this crap?
Is there any possible need for such a pill?
I think not-If you want to stay sober drink orange juice for cryin out loud!

Who would want to waste money buying booze that doesn't get you tipsy?
And who would pay twice as much to buy these damn pills to make that happen?

Good grief this is such a stupid idea I need a freaking beer or two to forget about it.

posted on Sep, 30 2011 @ 06:04 PM
link   
I'm the only one who thinks its a good idea. Most alcoholics want to sober up, and the morning is their time to make that decision, but by the end of the day and the wears of the world, they give in and drink. Now if that drink did nothing to them because they took their pill in the morning, eventually they would get used to feeling sober and quit drinking altogether. It's an amazing pill.

posted on Sep, 30 2011 @ 06:07 PM
link   
Wouldn't tape over the mouth be a whole lot cheaper and just as effective?

posted on Sep, 30 2011 @ 06:38 PM
link   
I find that good ol' ibuprofen does a pretty good job of ruining any alcoholic fun I might want to have by deadening any tipsiness while at the same time making me spend way more for drinks than I intended.

The only good thing is that while there's not much fun, there's also usually no hangover. So I might as well have just had the Diet Pepsi.

posted on Sep, 30 2011 @ 06:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by UniverSoul

Originally posted by john_bmth

just drink a bit of water every couple of drinks
works for me

You can also use herbal capsules with thistle-based ingredients (artichoke, dandelion, milk thistle, etc.), since the ingredients bond with the toxins in your liver and help flush them out of your system. So you get the benefits of good hydration without the pain in the morning. They work just fine, but require a bit of planning.

posted on Sep, 30 2011 @ 06:57 PM
link   

I may be blind drunk (
)
but i fail to see any source cited.
The second quote sounds as if it came from the Onion....

Was the source really the Australian Herald-Sun or actually from a third party site?
edit on 9/30/2011 by Chamberf=6 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 30 2011 @ 07:07 PM
link   
reply to post by Chamberf=6

I apologize for that. Here's the link.
blogs.ajc.com...

If you google 'sober pill', a few other sources come up. You'll see from the part I quoted, The UK Telegraph is mentioned.

posted on Sep, 30 2011 @ 10:42 PM
link   

What a great idea for people who enjoy hangovers. They can now have them without going to the trouble of getting drunk.

Great for depressive alcoholics, too. Now they can drink themselves to death without having any fun doing it.

posted on Sep, 30 2011 @ 10:58 PM
link   
For 30 years "Antabuse" has been doing this. Not new.

www.antabuse-medication.com

Drug Name Antabuse (Disulfiram)

Drug Class and Mechanism

"Antabuse produces a sensitivity to alcohol which results in a highly unpleasant reaction when the patient under treatment ingests even small amounts of alcohol. Antabuse blocks the oxidation of alcohol at the acetaldehyde stage."

It keeps you sober by making you violently ill if you even have a little bit of alcohol.

top topics

join