It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

US uses jazz music to improve Pakistan relations

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 30 2011 @ 05:45 AM
link   

US uses jazz music to improve Pakistan relations

www.cnsnews.com

ISLAMABAD (AP) — Carrots haven't worked with Pakistan. Neither have sticks. Now the U.S. has enlisted the power of jazz music to improve relations with Pakistanis at a time when the important alliance has hit rock bottom.

The performances are part of a recent stepped-up effort by the U.S. Embassy to sponsor cultural events in Pakistan. Already this year, an American director has staged Neil Simon's play "The Odd Couple." The embassy also plans to bring over a country rock band and a hip hop group as well as American documentary filmmakers who will give workshops to Pakistanis.
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
www.usatoday.com

Related AboveTopSecret.com Discussion Threads:
USA and Pakistan on the brink? Causing Troop Movement, Defcon 1, Denver, and Miltary Exercises?

posted on Sep, 30 2011 @ 05:45 AM
link   
Ahhhh

Music to calm the savage beast

Well I suppose we really have tried pretty much everything else in that entire region, why not music

I personally like Jazz, but we could bring the wrong genre or performers over and just cause a deeper rift if we are not careful. Culturally we are world apart and we should never forget that.

www.cnsnews.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Sep, 30 2011 @ 05:47 AM
link   

I love jazz, what a wonderful idea. Wonder if that's gonna pan out...

I'm gonna say probably not, but at least they'll be exposed to some of the greatest tunes of all time.

posted on Sep, 30 2011 @ 05:52 AM
link   
I would have thought that Funk or Classical music would be the thing that would tie foreign relations. Just can't beat Funk man, it just gets in you! Ya dig?

posted on Sep, 30 2011 @ 05:59 AM
link   
reply to post by semperfortis

mahivishnu orchestra's "birds of fire"

"hymn of the 7th galaxy" chic corea would be nice.

but that probably be viewed as an act of war.

posted on Sep, 30 2011 @ 05:59 AM
link   
I have to say Jazz music is a pox on this earth and I for one , if I were pakistani would put a Jihad on Jazz music.. Especially Mordern Jazz Fusion.

Not sure what music from the west most muslims would like. When I worked in the middle east most locals were quite happy listening to recordings of Immam's reciting the Koran.

Altho the younger generation liked Arabic music with a cheezy Euro pop beat to it.

Peace

Rock Ape

posted on Sep, 30 2011 @ 06:01 AM
link   
Jazz?
Great, that's one way to wind em up even more.
Niiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiice.

posted on Sep, 30 2011 @ 06:05 AM
link   

ISLAMABAD (AP) — Carrots haven't worked with Pakistan. Neither have sticks. Now the U.S. has enlisted the power of jazz music to improve relations with Pakistanis at a time when the important alliance has hit rock bottom.

Carrots, sticks and now jazz music.

Someone should tell the U.S to just try TALKING to them. Is it really that difficult to do?
Stop with the petty squabbles, and just talk to each other.

Diplomats fail.

st.

posted on Sep, 30 2011 @ 06:08 AM
link   
Music

Better than bullets no matter how you look at it

If I remember correctly, we have tried things like this before, WWII specifically.. We also blared loud music at the compound at Waco and everyone remembers how that turned out

I have an idea....

Why not just get the heck out of there?

That's pretty radical, but I bet it would work..

Semper

posted on Sep, 30 2011 @ 06:09 AM
link   
Is this some kind of joke? USA ought to stop violating pak airspace and stop Afghan drug trade that is destabilizing Pakistan,Russia and Central Asia.Instead it flourishes with NATO's blessings.

posted on Sep, 30 2011 @ 07:54 AM
link   

Originally posted by ludwigvonmises003
Is this some kind of joke? USA ought to stop violating pak airspace and stop Afghan drug trade that is destabilizing Pakistan,Russia and Central Asia.Instead it flourishes with NATO's blessings.

Nope not a joke, its a gesture of good will. Is it the right gesture is the question. Someone above mentioned that they should go talk with pakistan. I agree with that. You know it might help if the pakistani people didnt think we were trying to kill them, and that message wont get across without sharing some information and lots of patience.

I also think Semper made a good point, it is better music than bullets. I just dont think it will be enough at this point.

Oh yea, check this out folks.
Anwar Alwaki killed in Yemen, Yemen cooperated with US in effort
edit on 30-9-2011 by Nephalim because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 30 2011 @ 08:04 AM
link   

Originally posted by Rock Ape
I have to say Jazz music is a pox on this earth and I for one , if I were pakistani would put a Jihad on Jazz music.. Especially Mordern Jazz Fusion.

Not sure what music from the west most muslims would like. When I worked in the middle east most locals were quite happy listening to recordings of Immam's reciting the Koran.

Altho the younger generation liked Arabic music with a cheezy Euro pop beat to it.

Peace

Rock Ape

circa 1980?

givem' some pearl jam or bighead todd.

duran duran?

posted on Sep, 30 2011 @ 08:06 AM
link   
reply to post by Nephalim

whom do you think the US should talk to?

the chump on the street?

we are already talking to them and giving them 100's of millions of bucks!

geeze!

posted on Sep, 30 2011 @ 08:07 AM
link   
What an idiotic idea.

Who thinks of this nonsense?

posted on Sep, 30 2011 @ 08:09 AM
link   
reply to post by mike_trivisonno

someone making more than you or me!

posted on Sep, 30 2011 @ 08:42 AM
link   

Originally posted by fooks
reply to post by Nephalim

whom do you think the US should talk to?

the chump on the street?

we are already talking to them and giving them 100's of millions of bucks!

geeze!

Dunno ...would you rather nuke them?
And Maybe the media for one. Who claims our reps, military and diplomats talk to them for a few minutes, give halfarse comments, dont really answer any questions and roll out which leaves too much to speculation. The same speculation and confusion I might add that the average joe in Pakistan reads in their papers. Thats who theyre trying to reach with this music isnt it? Or howabout the Government who is freaking out right now about Mullens comments and the raid and they did recently?

Plenty of people out there to talk to Fooks. Hearts and minds thats the line.They sure didnt have any issues talking to Yemen. Seriously. Go read a little instead of limiting your comments to this silly mess.
and millions? Try billions, which they plan to cut soon.
edit on 30-9-2011 by Nephalim because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 30 2011 @ 09:18 AM
link   

Originally posted by SatoriTheory

Carrots, sticks and now jazz music.

Someone should tell the U.S to just try TALKING to them. Is it really that difficult to do?
Stop with the petty squabbles, and just talk to each other.

Diplomats fail.

st.

Diplomats talk. Diplomats are talking to them. Did you ever think maybe perhaps the fail is on their diplomats for not listening?

posted on Sep, 30 2011 @ 10:21 AM
link   
As much as I love Jazz and would love to see it used to improve relations with everyone in the world...

This is such a transparent insincere diplomacy. We will have troops in Pakistan shortly if we don't already, in our phony war on terrorism.

imo this phony war on terrorism is just a charade to fill the coffers of the companies that profit from war; Americas only growth industry.

God help us!!

For Jazz lovers....

www.abovetopsecret.com...

edit on 30-9-2011 by whaaa because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 30 2011 @ 12:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by WarminIndy
Diplomats talk. Diplomats are talking to them. Did you ever think maybe perhaps the fail is on their diplomats for not listening?

Yes, I had thought about that. But then I remember how US foreign policy is always geared towards itself. Empathy towards other nations and their culture, way of life, is usually very much lacking.

st.

new topics

top topics

join